JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out looking for a 410 for my daughter and all the guns I found were priced $600 or more. Why the heck is a shotgun of this size so expensive? I am not looking for anything fancy just something I can teach her on as she grows up.

How is a .410 any cheaper to make then a 12ga of the same make and model? Its actually more expensive due to the economy of scale. Think how many more 12ga Rem 870's they sell then .410 Rem 870's

Wow, $600 must be something really nice. I know they are a lot harder to find, but they are out there. I expect Bi-Mart could special order you a brand new .410 870 for a lot less.

My only .410 cost me $70 a couple years ago, but it's an ancient single shot- "Iver Johnson Gun & Cycle Works"- probably the better part of a century old. It still works great though. For what it is I wondered if I paid too much.

Doing a "Control F" search at The Gun Broker, they show eight used .410's, at least one is a handgun. This search does not include the Woodburn store as its used guns aren't showcased/shown as the other two stores are.

<broken link removed>

I wonder how much a Mossberg 500 is.. those are good guns.
Good luck.

I think the big issue is there are less models manufactured in .410, at least in pump. I did see a Mossberg at Dick's in Lake O today. As others have mentioned single shots are readily available. Rossi are all over the place, but you can do better for $100-$180. Fisherman's usually has new H&R single shots. Gun broker in Clackamas or Tigard often has used ones for cheaper. I've also seen new ones at Sportsman's Warehouse. I haven't looked for pump .410 there but they have the widest selection of shotguns I've seen so worth checking. If nothing else cruise over to Budsgunshop.com or galleryofguns.com and have one shipped to a local dealer.

I think the Italians sell some dinky short 12ga shells for pretty reasonable.
You could look into that.. make a five shot into a ten shot just by changing shells!

Rossi also makes some pretty interesting Matched Pairs: Rossi USA
And Matched Sets: Rossi USA

I've been considering one of these options for my godson. Any Rossi realer can order them and I doubt they are all that hard to get even in the current scarce climate. I'm not sure about price but I don't think you'll pay anywhere near $650.

Good luck.

A dear friend of mine who has forgotten more about shotgunning than I'll ever hope to know gave me his advice about the .410 when I was looking for a starter for my son. He said people who enjoy shotguns and are good at it never started with a .410, but a lot of them end up there. Meaning, early success creates confidence and makes the sport enjoyable. He said .410s tend to be light and whippy, don't have much of a shot column which leads to bad fundamentals and a low hit rate. After you've developed your skills and have a really good dog that can hold birds tight, that's when you start thinking about a .410. He talked me into a used 1100 in 20ga--rugged, swings well, almost no recoil, $375 out the door. Just passing along what I felt was sage advice.

Thanks for all the advice! My daughter is 4 now so I would be getting the gun more for me to carry while her and I go on hikes and scouting trips in case we see a grouse or rabbit but I guess a 22 would serve the same purpose. I just bought her a Diamond Atomic Compound Bow that she will be opening on Christmas but I don't she will be shooting guns to soon thought about a BB gun just to start working on proper handling and safety. I guess I wanted the 410 more for my self but also something she could shoot without scaring the s**t out of her the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using

.don't have much of a shot column which leads to bad fundamentals and a low hit rate..
I think the opposite is true, though I'm no shotgun expert.. the .410 is nothing but shot column.. you'll get better patterns with a larger bore given the same payload generally.

Elk Killer if you do decide to get her a BB gun I suggest a Red Ryder they last for decades (ours has been annoying pests for at least 4 decades now) and if you do remember to PM me and ask for my little person stock pattern. I designed a stock made from simple 3/4" fir (the nice stuff like used for door moldings) that can be cut out with even just a coping saw and shaped with a sheet of 120 grit sand paper that will suit a child of average build up to about age 7 when they have a chance to fit the original stock. Only other thing you would need is a drill motor to drill the one mounting hole.

I can send you a scaled drawing you can use as a pattern.

4-5 dads have used it and all said it worked great.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top