JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question is, why would anyone want a 9mm popgun at all?
I suppose there are people out there with soft little girl.hands who require lots of ammo to hit a target, once.
There are also people 'out there' who tend to shoot much more than others and find the 'popguns' to be much more desirable (and economical) to shoot when most of their shooting is for sport and recreation. Not all of us 'train' or limit their shooting to practicing with what they carry.

Also with regard to 'lots of ammo to hit a target once' it makes no sense. 9mm and similar calibers can be just as accurate as many larger ones, and in some cases more accurate due to less recoil and report and possibly because of less flinching.

I have owned some of the 'bigger' calibers but always loaded them down for a much more pleasant experience and economy. Heck even my .30-30 loads are reduced and are very accurate with a mild recoil and report as well.

For me shooting is a relaxing, recreational activity and doesn't require the biggest calibers, highest velocities, the loudest report or the biggest fireball.

Last Edited:
For me shooting is a relaxing, recreational activity and doesn't require the biggest calibers, highest velocities, the loudest report or the biggest fireball.
Ooh Fireballs and loud noise, Blackhawk's in 327 Federal or .30 M1 Carbine, The carbine round could go AR

Well, depending on what you have, they can be loads of fun.

F853DCC0-7C10-4CBC-9FE4-798192D4D9D1.jpeg

And with a good optic (or a laser-beam!) they can be very accurate, even in untrained hands.

315DCF6B-667B-4DFD-8264-7ADFE3E28DCC.jpeg

Plus, they can have a bit more "intimidation factor" than a regular pistol...

54F195C3-1929-467E-B23E-A4AF0BA9AE5E.jpeg

They're not as easy to carry as a regular pistol, but can be packed around in a briefcase or a backpack.

17341DE4-1AB1-40A8-9D65-303C228D0F4E.jpeg

The lower recoil of the lighter calibers, the brace, plus an optic, can help even an untrained family member defend hearth & home should the need arise.

Last Edited:
Different strokes for different folks.

The caliber has been moderately successful I guess for some reason?!?

Like world wide for 100 years?

My guess is some folks like high cap, light recoil, reduced cost. Just my guess.

Now that they actually make expansive ammo it's even effective!
YEP! A LOT of shooters have LONG had a real "hate on" going for the 9mm. To me its a big :s0092:
I was HEAVY into PCC's from youth. I was always enamored with them in .45 since I was a super fanboy of the 1911. Couple decades back I got one of the Kel-Tecs in .40. Only because they did not make it in .45 :D
I quickly found that someone had found a way to make a rifle that would boot hell out of you with a rather "calm" pistol round. Every range trip I would feel like I had been hit in the shoulder for a couple days. Wife would not shoot it at all. So wanting something cheap and fun for indoor I bought one in 9mm. It was at first meant to be just something for fun. Then I saw the ballistics. Turned out with good ammo it was sending 124gr pills at what a .357 with a 4 inch tube did. Now I looked at that little rifle in a whole new light.
When I built my first AR pistol in that round it was just plain too much damn fun. The brace makes it stupid easy to have accuracy only real experts can get out of a hand gun. They will take the brace's from us of course. There is video showing how to use one of these pistols with a sling and the buffer that also works SUPER well. Just took a little more practice to get the hang of it. So when they take the brace's I am sure a LOT of people will learn this.
Now as to why ANY caliber causes so many people to get over the top angry:confused:. I have long shrugged at that. To me it's like TV shows that some rant and complain about. Don't like them? Don't watch them. Don't like a certain caliber? By all means do not buy one. A lot of people seem to think they are being forced to embrace them. :s0092:

Count me as a 9 MM Hater, but it has its place, and you can usually find a lot of emptied shelve space where they used to have it. Not hoarding it, but I do have a supply.

YEP! A LOT of shooters have LONG had a real "hate on" going for the 9mm. To me its a big :s0092:
I was HEAVY into PCC's from youth. I was always enamored with them in .45 since I was a super fanboy of the 1911. Couple decades back I got one of the Kel-Tecs in .40. Only because they did not make it in .45 :D
I quickly found that someone had found a way to make a rifle that would boot hell out of you with a rather "calm" pistol round. Every range trip I would feel like I had been hit in the shoulder for a couple days. Wife would not shoot it at all. So wanting something cheap and fun for indoor I bought one in 9mm. It was at first meant to be just something for fun. Then I saw the ballistics. Turned out with good ammo it was sending 124gr pills at what a .357 with a 4 inch tube did. Now I looked at that little rifle in a whole new light.
When I built my first AR pistol in that round it was just plain too much damn fun. The brace makes it stupid easy to have accuracy only real experts can get out of a hand gun. They will take the brace's from us of course. There is video showing how to use one of these pistols with a sling and the buffer that also works SUPER well. Just took a little more practice to get the hang of it. So when they take the brace's I am sure a LOT of people will learn this.
Now as to why ANY caliber causes so many people to get over the top angry:confused:. I have long shrugged at that. To me it's like TV shows that some rant and complain about. Don't like them? Don't watch them. Don't like a certain caliber? By all means do not buy one. A lot of people seem to think they are being forced to embrace them. :s0092:
Funny that your 40 Sub2K hammered you so bad. Mine isn't very bad at all. The wife doesn't care for it though. I tend to favor the .40 over the 9mm, but like you I have come around some myself.

If I had my choice today, knowing what I know I would have gone with the Sub2K in 9mm. Just don't think the wife likes it enough to get another.. I plan on getting a 9mm AR Upper at some point, and definitely 9mm slides for the CZs too.

I'm not a hater, but as a 10mm fan I can say I have limited enthusiasm for the 40 S&W. I have a pistol caliber rifle; it's 45 Colt pump with a 24" barrel. I have pistol caliber pistols. I would consider a pistol caliber pistol whose magazine does not fit inside the pistol grip but I don't see much use for one and so it's not high on my list.

Many decades ago and in today's world, having a particular caliber available to you is all that really matters. Accuracy is the ultimate goal and is the reason to choose a caliber that 'fits' you and gives you accurate results. A 'bb' or pellet in the eye is going to really sting! So shot placement, not caliber etc. is what really counts and that is the goal for any 'shooter'. Shoot for 'fun' and shoot for accuracy with the caliber of your choosing! Caliber and gun diversity is what works for the individual, not marketing hype!

AR9's in general don't have a purpose for me yet, but consider the following:
  • You can shoot them in indoor pistol ranges. I'm not aware of any that allow 5.56
  • Easier to use for youth's, elderly, or the physically challenged than an AR15. As I get older that may come into play.
  • Ammunition less expensive than 5.56, though 22LR conversion kits for AR15's make that a moot point.
I did have the pleasure of shooting an MP5 years ago. I don't know if an AR9 would have the same handling capabilities, but can see the role.

You can shoot them in indoor pistol ranges. I'm not aware of any that allow 5.56
The indoor LAX range allows up to 300 WinMag, pistols or rifles. No shotshells or non-lead bullets.

Easier to use for youth's, elderly, or the physically challenged than an AR15. As I get older that may come into play.
I'm not seeing this one, since they operate the same and none of them have any recoil that's noticeable. The rifle calibers are generally a lot louder though.

Ammunition less expensive than 5.56, though 22LR conversion kits for AR15's make that a moot point.
Hmmm. Maybe? I never really compared that closely but I know I used to get 9mm for around 16 cents a pop and I doubt I paid a lot more than that for 5.56. AK food was always really cheap if price is the thing.

Funny that your 40 Sub2K hammered you so bad. Mine isn't very bad at all. The wife doesn't care for it though. I tend to favor the .40 over the 9mm, but like you I have come around some myself.

If I had my choice today, knowing what I know I would have gone with the Sub2K in 9mm. Just don't think the wife likes it enough to get another.. I plan on getting a 9mm AR Upper at some point, and definitely 9mm slides for the CZs too.
The new model has a FAR better stock on it now along with some other nice changes. If I had kept the .40 I would have found a recoil pad I could adapt to it. It was so damn short that having another inch of stock would have been fine for me too. When I saw the ballistics of the 9mm out of a 16inch tube I started looking at that round in a whole new light. That little rifle was the only .40 I had left at that time so I finally just decided to re-home it so I would have one less caliber to deal with. Damn thing was so much fun it was nothing to run a couple hundred rounds through it in a session. That little tiny hard plastic stock did not feel like much at the time but the next day it felt like I had been hit there for a while :D
I still love the little guns. If I ever manage to wear out the 9mm one I still have I will by buying a Gen 2 to replace it. If they had not made selling so much damn trouble in this state I would have already sold the old one and bought a new one by now. Same thing if KT ever made one in .45 I would HAVE to have one of those :D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top