JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For an AR9/PCC with a 4" barrel there is really little advantage vs a handgun unless running suppressed and having a handguard covering most of the suppressor to give the user multiple points of contact like a rifle would. Obviously, the more points of contact for the user, the more stable the firearm (in theory) to aid in accuracy.
For me and for everyone who has tried mine with the 5 inch tube it's the brace. The ease of FAR better accuracy is night and day. Of course they will get around to taking the braces away from us since so few gun owners care enough. I watched a guy who made a great video showing how to use just the buffer and a sling. It's not as natural or easy as the brace but, I found I could quickly learn this way too. Accuracy is not even in the same league for me compared to me with a 1911 with a 5inch tube.

For me and for everyone who has tried mine with the 5 inch tube it's the brace. The ease of FAR better accuracy is night and day. Of course they will get around to taking the braces away from us since so few gun owners care enough. I watched a guy who made a great video showing how to use just the buffer and a sling. It's not as natural or easy as the brace but, I found I could quickly learn this way too. Accuracy is not even in the same league for me compared to me with a 1911 with a 5inch tube.

It's sad as you mention, that firearm folks seem to not be united because their use or weapon isn't affected. For instance regarding braces and accuracy, I certainly can see that most would be more able to quickly become proficient using the brace. I can even see that AR pistols even have a useful role. Like I said earlier, to me they could be useful for Home Defense, Truck and/or Fun Guns.

Personally I think the braces should be legal and I will certainly fight for them. I was /am against the Bump Stock Ban. I don't own one, and would never have bought one. They too fell into the 'Not Practical' category for me. However I fought against the ban and was disappointed and PO'd in the extreme in their being offered up as a token sacrifice on the Alter of 'Useless Gestures' to appease the Mob. You maybe right about the brace following suit, but that doesn't factor into why I haven't built one.

To me AR Pistols aren't practical because they can't be CCW or OC weapons, so as Pistols they don't work for me. A practical pistol for me is one that can be drawn guickly and at 50 yards accurately and quickly acquit itself.

Other folks are into AR Pistols and that's great. They love shooting them and have incorporated them into useful roles beyond being just Fun. They dang sure shouldn't need anybody else's approval to enjoy or use them, especially some bureaucratic naziesque nonelected official.

Even if these over reach equivocal regulation determinations and interpretation/rulings don't affect us and our use of firearms, we all need to join together to raise a holy uproar about any assault on the 2A. Even if it doesn't effect us directly. What we are witnessing is regulation creep,; the death of the Republic by a 100,000 Bureaucratic Cuts. Only a united front can stop it and that is why they seek to divide us in as many ways as they can. We surely shouldn't be helping.

Last Edited:
I've been looking at AR 9 uppers, and keep comming across 4" to 10" uppers for AR pistol builds. I keep thinking to myself "why would I want that over a Glock 19 or (fill in favorite semi-automatic 9mm)?"

Other than the just-for-right-now ability to shoulder the brace, I don't see the advantage. It's harder to conceal, not much sight radius advantage, scarier to non-gun folks and not much of a velocity bump. I see the draw of a pistol caliber AR carbine but not AR pistol. If you have one can you tell me why?
I think the big thing is most people aren't choosing between an AR pistol OR a glock, most people entertaining the idea of building a 9mm AR already have a glock or handgun that uses the same mags. It's a nice compliment and way to make hits further using the same ammo and mags as your EDC. I'm sure I'm repeating something someone else has said but I didn't read the entire thread..

They are fun, more accurate, impervious to adrenaline or intention tremors, cheap to red dot, and are outstanding for home defense when you don't want to make a mess of things with a shotgun or put a bullet in the neighbors house. Recoiled is negligible and when suppressed don't make you deaf. In a scuffle, retention is way better with two hands and a nylon chest sling than with a pistol. If some antifa asshat has a knife to your wife, which would you rather make the headshot with... a Glock or a red dot AR9?

I never had any love for AR pistols... just didn't dig em.

After shooting my son's Ruger PC Charger, l sorta changed my mind... it was too much fun to leave on the table so l got one. Now it has a Tailhook brace that helps with stability and a Votex RMR. Add in some factory Glock funsticks and terrorize steel gongs til the sun goes down.

Someday l may build an SBR, but the Charger fills the slot between handgun and carbine for the time being.

AR 9 "pistols" don't compare to standard service pistols like the G17, they compare to the PCC or SMG.... only shorter, or same lengthish suppressed....

AND you can shoot them on pistol rated steel up close, which you can't do with rifle caliber variants

AND you can conceal them with a CHL.

AND you can end run (for now) the NFA with a "brace."

Not everybody "gets" or "understands" the appeal. That's cool, people are all different.

My question is, why would anyone want a 9mm popgun at all?
Different strokes for different folks.

The caliber has been moderately successful I guess for some reason?!?

Like world wide for 100 years?

My guess is some folks like high cap, light recoil, reduced cost. Just my guess.

Now that they actually make expansive ammo it's even effective!

I'd have an MPX, but after due consideration I spent that money on a 5.5" MCX in 300BLK and never looked back. If they made the MPX in 10mm I'd still be sorely tempted.

Different strokes for different folks.

The caliber has been moderately successful I guess for some reason?!?

Like world wide for 100 years?

My guess is some folks like high cap, light recoil, reduced cost. Just my guess.

Now that they actually make expansive ammo it's even effective!
My apologies, I suppose there are people out there with soft little girl.hands who require lots of ammo to hit a target, once. They are lucky to have the deep pockets to afford the specialty ammo to practice with, because if you don't practice with what you carry, what's the point? Lots of calibers have been around 100 plus years, does that mean they are superior? Like 32acp, 25auto, 380, I think not.

It is good to remember the AR-9 might not resemble your idea of a pistol, but it meets the description of an ATF Pistol. Now to get an AR-40 'Pistol', An excellent choice, I think. An AR-357Sig 'Pistol' would be better but hard to find any barrel makers for that caliber.

If it's fun and has a use, I want it.

My apologies, I suppose there are people out there with soft little girl.hands who require lots of ammo to hit a target, once. They are lucky to have the deep pockets to afford the specialty ammo to practice with, because if you don't practice with what you carry, what's the point? Lots of calibers have been around 100 plus years, does that mean they are superior? Like 32acp, 25auto, 380, I think not.
My soft little hands prefer to wrap around my .41 mag, 12 ga 3" Benelli, Thompson SMG, ..300 win mag, M1A, and .69 cal blunderbus, but I can embrace diversity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top