JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at AR 9 uppers, and keep comming across 4" to 10" uppers for AR pistol builds. I keep thinking to myself "why would I want that over a Glock 19 or (fill in favorite semi-automatic 9mm)?"

Other than the just-for-right-now ability to shoulder the brace, I don't see the advantage. It's harder to conceal, not much sight radius advantage, scarier to non-gun folks and not much of a velocity bump. I see the draw of a pistol caliber AR carbine but not AR pistol. If you have one can you tell me why?

Super short subgun or SBR? Sure, have some in the niche, and they're fun. Braced pistol? Lol, no thanks. Big heavy pistol without a stock that doesn't really do anything a regular pistol does? Don't get it, don't care — meh.

Can anyone have enough guns, ever. Lol. They are fun guns for me I have an sbr in 6.8spc and now have built two 4.5" barreled pistol builds. One in 22lr and one in 9mm. Both have suppressors that barely stick out of the handgaurd. Both of them I can shoulder and shoot comfortably without ear protecting. I cany own enough AR's and love building different calibers and configurations. To each ther own

ARs in 9mm are pretty fun. With Glock mag compatibility they make a really good addition.
As to why…..Easier to shoot. More stability. More optic choices. Options for accessories like larger weapon lights and of course the ability to dress it up.

ARs in 9mm are pretty fun. With Glock mag compatibility they make a really good addition.
As to why…..Easier to shoot. More stability. More optic choices. Options for accessories like larger weapon lights and of course the ability to dress it up.
I'm actually looking for a 16' AR upper and bought a Ruger PC 9 the first year sold, that I've since added mlok handguard and sig Romeo 5 to. So I do like shooting 9 out of a carbine: light recoil, not too loud, super accurate inside of 50 yards.

I also get the point of a rifle caliber AR pistol to get a SBR, in something like 300 BO. That makes some sense.

Not to worry, there's a HI Point for everyone.
Q7Cv.gif

I don't see a purpose in them. But that's just me. Just buy a Glock....

Can anyone have enough guns, ever. Lol. They are fun guns for me I have an sbr in 6.8spc and now have built two 4.5" barreled pistol builds. One in 22lr and one in 9mm. Both have suppressors that barely stick out of the handgaurd. Both of them I can shoulder and shoot comfortably without ear protecting. I cany own enough AR's and love building different calibers and configurations. To each ther own
The the 300 BO never really flipped my switch. Suppressors are to much trouble for our life style. If they had sensible regulations I would be willing to reassess them, but we travel way to much as it is now.

There is something to be said for a Home Defense/Truck Gun role for us here. What is it we really gain though? I get that they can be fun, but what do we get going super short besides fun? Can't CC or OC really.

The 6.8 SPC seems like it is almost designed for the 14.5 inch barrel. Pin a 2 inch comp on it and it is a legal carbine (not a SBR). A dang useful tool, good for protection, varmints, and hunting easily out to 300 yards and more.

I guess we don't feel enough need, or want for a AR pistol to spend gun dollars on them. Some folks do though, and I guess thats why they're selling the heck out of them.

Last Edited:
If you want a short carbine style rifle/pistol just do a form 1 and build an SBR in 5.56. That's what I would personally do. Best of both worlds. 9mm carbines are definitely fun to shoot but they aren't what I would turn to for a self defense rifle platform.

If you want a short carbine style rifle/pistol just do a form 1 and build an SBR in 5.56. That's what I would personally do. Best of both worlds. 9mm carbines are definitely fun to shoot but they aren't what I would turn to for a self defense rifle platform.
I think they make a great home defense option. Again, more stability, lights and optics are easy and Glock mag compatibility including fun sticks. The SBR route is the way I would personally do it. And probably will here shortly. Gotta scratch that itch again. :D

I had for YEARS heard others talk about Casper guns. Had zero interest until the powers that be started making noise about doing away with them. So first one I built was a full size AR9. Now again I have been a PCC fan boy since forever so of course I loved this. The next one I made I pinned on a 5inch Glock upper and put a brace on it. It was happy days for me. Damn thing has been the probably the costliest gun I have ever owned. I have no idea how much ammo I have burned through with it. Its just too much damn fun. When I am not playing with it, the gun often lives on my side of the bed. Has a light / laser under it for things that go bump. In my state I can carry it loaded in my vehicle because its considered a hand gun.
So to me? They are fantastic. Many have no use for them and this bothers me exactly not at all.

My wife got to test one at a course. Now we have two, both with 10.5" barrels, one is a basic PSA, the other an refined Angstadt. Wife loves them, I think they are okay. I prefer our AR-15 5.56 10.5's better. All have braces. Easier to handle in the house, or close quarters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top