JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a long video, but if you have an hour or so to burn, it shows a very good example of detectives slowly and meticulously walking a person into giving them everything they need to convict. I will say upfront, this guy was pretty much in the wrong and probably would have been convicted anyway, but he certainly lost any chance at self defense by talking.

Like others have stated, tell the officer you were in fear for your life and then ask for an attorney.

So long story short?

I was a trained investigator, with investigations being part of my professional responsibilities.

Take the notion of an interrogation by police as a rough and tumble in-your-face encounter and set it aside. That could happen but it is not as common as you think. Rubber hoses and brutality only cause a suspect to recant their confession or statement in court.

You are your worst enemy. Adults want to talk, to tell their side of the story. They want to explain the rationality of their choices, decisions and actions. They want the investigator to understand their side of the story, to see things their way, and to agree with them. "You understand, right? I had to do it because..."

A good investigator assesses the suspect's personality, character, behavioral traits and demeanor, and then determines his/her approach. He or she is halfway home by the time they walk in the door of the interrogation room. They will be aware of what you said from the time of your first contact with police and, typically, failed to keep your mouth shut. When you meet they already know you to a limited degree. There may be a police psychologist working behind the scenes to assist the investigator.

You will be off your "A" game and vulnerable. He /she knows it.

The interrogation approach may be based on the investigator's assessment. Or, it may their personal favorite. Immediate confrontation may be used, to include "We know you did it. That's what happened, isn't it? So why did you do it?" Rapid fire questioning may be used to confuse you and get you to explain the way it really happened.

My best results came from being friendly, casual, relaxed and supportive. I took the intensity of the moment and defused it. It was disarming and people wanted to talk.

Instead if good cop bad cop they got the supportive and well liked non-threatening pal they could let their hair clown with.

And watch out for this technique used at the end of unsuccessful interrogations - "Well, you beat us on this one." Or, "It looks like you outfoxed us and beat the wrap. Tell me, off the record, why'd (or how'd) ya do it?"

Admit nothing, sign nothing. Believe nothing they tell you. You have no friends when you are the suspect or subject of an investigation. You need a lawyer and you have nothing to say without the benefit of council. You are about to send yourself up the river of no return. You will have to fight yourself not to do it. If you fail you will have to live with yourself in a cell.

Exercise your right to legal representation.

Dude!! I'll still occasionally get sheite for some totally obscure thing that I said eighteen years ago!! :eek:

And I say a LOT of sheite! :s0140:

Men don't get it. When they say "I do," they get one night of fun and frolic and a date to see the headsman with the dull ax. The only question is "How long do I have to wait?" After a while, the sooner the better is the date you're looking for.

How does she know what I said to the first wife you're asking yourself?
I happen to live next door to the second wife and her husband and she was good friends with the first wife.
To make things more complicated, my first wife decided she needed to ditch me and marry the husband of the future second wife, when he had recently inherited 1.2 million dollars from a late relative. The term gold digging claim jumper comes to mind when describing first wife.
I then packed my bags and ran, not walk out of the life of the first wife, but little did I know that my future would involve marrying the second wife.

Last Edited:
... You are your worst enemy. Adults want to talk, to tell their side of the story. ... It was disarming and people wanted to talk. ... You are about to send yourself up the river of no return. You will have to fight yourself not to do it. ...

Insightful -- especially the part about the struggle to keep quiet. People have an incredibly hard time winning that struggle.

Not saying that it happens all that often but in some places the police have to either charge you or release you within 48 hours. So.....you get to decide what you want out of your stay at the station.

Aloha, Mark

"anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" - that right there is pretty straight forward as to why to shut your mouth after uttering, "I feared for my life. Then later: I will answer questions when my counsel is present.

somebody on this forum said it before and it really stuck with me

". I am a proponent of Law enforcement like yourself I will answer your questions after I have conferred with my lawyer... I have nothing else to say "

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top