JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ya, a lever is something any avid gun collector should own.

I've got one in 357mag and a 30-30. Both are really fun shooters.

This guy is on my short list. However I don't know if it will ever come to light, but the day I get my Obsidian it sure will be more enticing.

View attachment 482882

I really thought I wanted one in .357 to pair with my GP100. But I keep thinking I want something bigger. Something stupid big.

Ya, a lever is something any avid gun collector should own.

I've got one in 357mag and a 30-30. Both are really fun shooters.

This guy is on my short list. However I don't know if it will ever come to light, but the day I get my Obsidian it sure will be more enticing.

View attachment 482882

Oh my. We already have 9㎜ silencer in the arsenal, and I so dig a revolver-caliber lever action, and then I see this. Too many temptations at the present.
:s0155:

I've got some marlin 1895 goodness you are welcome to try out...

This might be my next boo

16" trapper :D

70450-p.jpg

Oh my. We already have 9㎜ silencer in the arsenal, and I so dig a revolver-caliber lever action, and then I see this. Too many temptations at the present.
:s0155:
Seriously, once Marlin teased them at Shot Show, I've been non stop checking online for there release. I have a feeling they will only make like 200 of them, as most things Marlin these days seem to be that of vaperwear.

I just want a lever action rifle. And If I'm gonna do it, why not go big or go home. I also like all weather finishes for field use.

That Marlin has me thinking. And drooling.....
Trust me, the Marlin is the slickest handling and shooting lever for the money! :D
I have never once regretted ether of my Marlins, my older is much slicker, but the XLR with it's stainless and laminate stocks beats it hands down. Take it to Velzey of Jon at NW custom firearms and have a bubba brake installed along with good trit front sight and a good rear ghose and have the action slicked up a little, and your as good as it gets! .45/70 is a hammer when a hammer is needed, and it puts a smile on your face every time you cycle that lever and pull the bang switch! :D:D:D

I don't really get it. I don't hunt much big game, I do spend some time in the woods but have never had to dispatch anything from being threatened. Well, that's not true. When I was 18 I had to take care of a couple of wild dogs that had been reported in my area as dangerous. Also took a coyote with a 12 gauge that was going after a cow that birthed and couldn't stand on the farm I worked on in my early 20's. She never did stand up, and with the amount of meds the vet gave her the meat wasn't good to eat. So I had to put her down. :(

Anyway, I keep looking at the Henry all weather .45-70 and dreaming about it in my safe. Expensive to shoot, not really practical for a range gun. But there's just something about it......

Am I losing my mind?

View attachment 482855
You are not alone. I want that .45-70.

I was in the same boat, but had to have a Marlin in 444. Fortunately, I bought one in the 70s when they were all forged, all Marlin. Maybe still are, but "Remlin" is not a good nickname about now. That big old slow moving bullet punishes at both ends, but there is something very satisfying when it connects. Liked the caliber so much, bought a SS pistol in 444. Not so sure that was a wise move...

.45-70 will give your shoulder a bit of a workout, but the cartridge is, if anything, much better than when it was introduced. Can't say that about all of them.

IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2626.JPG

This is funny because my brother went through the same thing. He was obsessed with this rifle and agonized over what caliber to get. I had him pretty well sold on 45-70 after he put about 20 or so rounds through my buddy's Marlin and could still lift his arm. Then he realized that the 45-70 only holds 5 rounds and went with 45 Colt instead (10 rounds). It was like the 45 vs high cap 9mm debate... though you can get some pretty gnarly 45 Colt Buffalo Bore.

He's pretty new to guns... What's your excuse? o_O

View attachment 482857
The thing under the ejection port is the loading port, side gate. You push rounds into it into the magazine tube.

View attachment 482858

On Henry rifles, you pull the whole magazine spring out the front, possibly muzzling yourself, and put the rounds into the tube from the front.

You "can" load from the front, but that's not the way it's designed. The mag spring tube does not need to be completely removed, either.
It's designed to be inverted, muzzle high, tube withdrawn enough to completely expose the cartridge shaped loading port, shells dropped in through the loading port, then the spring tube is pushed into the mag tube and rotated, locking it in place. Most tube fed 22 rifles have used this system for getting close to 100 years! (if not more)
It's a slow, fumbly system to load, especially if not shooting with a table or tailgate handy. The only benefit, besides the reduction of cost to manufacture, is you can unload most of the cartridges from a loaded gun without having to run them through the chamber.
The King's Patent Loading Gate on the side of the action is a PIA to unload, but provides quick and easy loading of cartridges.
I love the 45-70 and have been enamored with things like Marlin's original Guide Gun for years. I've just ever tripped across the right deal to bring one home. While we have a Henry 22 that we know and love, this 45-70 isn't one I would consider, just because it lacks "traditional" lever action loading. This is the one place that I think Henry "cheaped out" where they shouldn't have.

But if that doesn't bother you, buy one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top