JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you love recoil then make sure you get the Straight Stock model. I'm a Marlin guy but don't care for the recoil and so the only one I have with the Straight Stock is in .22 Rimfire.

Where you load it from the side, looks like the pic @CountryGent posted as far as the side gate goes.

My clowning compadre is correct. Here is a picture I just took of loading the magazine tube of a .30/30:

BIYx1ch.jpg

Or one can just load singly:

GlOCx7p.jpg

:)

View attachment 482857
The thing under the ejection port is the loading port, side gate. You push rounds into it into the magazine tube.

View attachment 482858

On Henry rifles, you pull the whole magazine spring out the front, possibly muzzling yourself, and put the rounds into the tube from the front.

We're on the same wave length, I just post the same thing here [URL="https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/going-to-the-yukon-should-i-take-my-rifle.275814/page-3#post-2025699"]Going to the Yukon.. Should I take my rifle?[/URL]

I agree, that Henry all-weather is a fine looking rifle. I'd be happy to add a .45-70 to my collection some day, even though I have no real use for it. As for the Henry with the front loading tube mags, I had one in .357 and sold it - would rather have the side loading gate on a lever action - easier to reload and you don't run the risk of getting your hand in front of the muzzle when loading or removing/replacing the rod. Still, Henry does make some high-quality guns.

My co-worker and I went shooting a while back and he brought his Marlin .45-70 and let me take a few shots. Definitely stout recoil, but fun to shoot nonetheless.

Shoot one and reload it a few times. Then see if you want to buy it.

Want a lever bad enough in that caliber, get one with a side gate.

Interesting. I haven't ever handled a Henry, didn't know they didn't load via a loading gate like a Winchester or Marlin. It looks like they load like a tube fed .22lr? Is that a hassle?

Shooting a 45-70 can be hardly more expensive than shooting a .22lr is you cast and reload. Using free range lead, about 4 cents worth of Unique, 2 or 3 cents for a primer, and you can shoot all day (if you don't figure in the hundreds you spent on all the gear, and all the time it takes to cast and reload). :)

I just want a lever action rifle. And If I'm gonna do it, why not go big or go home. I also like all weather finishes for field use.

That Marlin has me thinking. And drooling.....

I just want a lever action rifle. And If I'm gonna do it, why not go big or go home. I also like all weather finishes for field use.

That Marlin has me thinking. And drooling.....
Ya, a lever is something any avid gun collector should own.

I've got one in 357mag and a 30-30. Both are really fun shooters.

This guy is on my short list. However I don't know if it will ever come to light, but the day I get my Obsidian it sure will be more enticing.

Working-File-70438_1894_CSBL_Threaded_right.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads