JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't really get it. I don't hunt much big game, I do spend some time in the woods but have never had to dispatch anything from being threatened. Well, that's not true. When I was 18 I had to take care of a couple of wild dogs that had been reported in my area as dangerous. Also took a coyote with a 12 gauge that was going after a cow that birthed and couldn't stand on the farm I worked on in my early 20's. She never did stand up, and with the amount of meds the vet gave her the meat wasn't good to eat. So I had to put her down. :(

Anyway, I keep looking at the Henry all weather .45-70 and dreaming about it in my safe. Expensive to shoot, not really practical for a range gun. But there's just something about it......

Am I losing my mind?

All-Weather-Large.jpg

I also like heavy recoiling firearms for some reason. When I bought my Stevens single shot everyone said to go 20 gauge as the 12 would be too much. I went with 12, and also cut 6" off the barrel. Probably my most favorite gun to shoot. :)

Shoot one and reload it a few times. Then see if you want to buy it.

Want a lever bad enough in that caliber, get one with a side gate.

"Side gate?" I really have about 5 rounds of .30-30 lever action experience.....

Nope, you are not losing your mind. That is one fine cartridge. Though I have finally gotten the .45/70 bug out of my system, it was a lot of fun while I was running said. The rifle in your pic looks ever so neat-o.

The last rifle I had in said was a Marlin 1895CB.* It was a graceful, beautifully handling, rifle chambered in the aforementioned, with a 9+1 capacity. I finally parted with it shortly after a move and the birth of a child. I have no real regrets in doing so, but it was a fine shooting rifle. :)

* Looks like this.
41203.jpg

Henrys are awesome rifles, I got a Long Ranger in 223 because I love my 22 so much, and have not regretted it, although it was a bit spendy. Action is so smooth and its so accurate with the iron sights, its a blast to shoot. Mine is mag fed

1895.png
The thing under the ejection port is the loading port, side gate. You push rounds into it into the magazine tube.

Henry-Mag-TubeC.jpg

On Henry rifles, you pull the whole magazine spring out the front, possibly muzzling yourself, and put the rounds into the tube from the front.

Ah, gotcha guys. Makes total sense now. Like I said, I'm really a lever action noob. Never owned one, and only shot a friends .30-30 a few rounds.

And yes Bobo, I do like all guns. As long as they don't say "Hi-Point" on the receiver. Nothing will change my mind there. :)

View attachment 482857
The thing under the ejection port is the loading port, side gate. You push rounds into it into the magazine tube.

View attachment 482858

On Henry rifles, you pull the whole magazine spring out the front, possibly muzzling yourself, and put the rounds into the tube from the front.

What is the rifle in your pic? The top one?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top