JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is funny because my brother went through the same thing. He was obsessed with this rifle and agonized over what caliber to get. I had him pretty well sold on 45-70 after he put about 20 or so rounds through my buddy's Marlin and could still lift his arm. Then he realized that the 45-70 only holds 5 rounds and went with 45 Colt instead (10 rounds). It was like the 45 vs high cap 9mm debate... though you can get some pretty gnarly 45 Colt Buffalo Bore.

He's pretty new to guns... What's your excuse? o_O

I went through this debate myself a year or so ago. Only problem is in 45 colt, only Henry makes a lever gun with the proper twist rate to stabilize the heavies made for serious work (1-16). Even at that, Henry's chamber is too short to reliably feed anything more than a 260gr loading per my conversation with a tech at Henry. This takes some of the heavies, like Buffalo bore offers, off the table. This fact steered me back to the 45-70 govt. It is a reloader's dream and can be loaded stout or down to powder puff levels that anybody can enjoy shooting. I'd still like to have a 45 lever gun but for different reasons than the 45-70.

This will cure your fixation:

Model 90 Trapper 16" bbl 460 S&W, Model 90A 454 Casull

e803f6a5076d42af959485908b97c3901.jpg

FYI - it is stainless with a black matte finish

PS - save up your pennies

Last Edited:
Am I losing my mind?
He's pretty new to guns... What's your excuse? o_O

I had a good friend, RIP, who would talk with me about everything. When I would go on about something like this, after I was finished, he would ask in his rich voice, "Dude, are you gettin' any?"

That was his rhetorical question to anything that involved anger or desire.

Go for it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top