JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Why do I need a CCL or CCW to purchase from you" I do not get it, it has been covered more times than I can count and yet still comes up. It makes me wonder if the ones asking these questions cannot even legally own a firearm. Also the whole across state line thing, can we get a sticky stating the laws on this. It is ILLEGAL to sell FTF to a resident of another state, period. It must go through an FFL, period. Just my morning rant.

If you have the license it shows: you've went through the background check and are legally able to own firearms.

Not everyone that can "legally" own a firearm has a "license" from the state. So please state why you feel that they need one.

W44

Some people want to go above and beyond simply making sure their sales are legal, and instead make sure that the people they sell to are legally allowed to own firearms. Looking at a current, valid CHL is the easiest way for a private party to do that.

There's nothing wrong with it, either. If someone wants to sell to a smaller group of potential buyers and possibly get a lower price, it's fine with me. Not a choice I'd make, though. I'm satisfied simply following the law.

I prefer to see a license if the buyer has one. It's not a matter of legality. Its a matter of peace of mind. Even if you see an Oregon driver's license, its no guarantee that the person is legally able to own firearms. If I see a valid Oregon CHL, it gives me a little better piece of mind that I won't get a call from a detective asking if I sold a firearm to so and so. And did I know that person was not legally allowed to own a gun? Probably nothing would happen, but it would be an annoyance.
I've sold guns to people without CHL licenses, but I do prefer to see them.

Looking at a current, valid CHL is the easiest way for a private party to do that.

There's nothing wrong with it, either. If someone wants to sell to a smaller group of potential buyers and possibly get a lower price, it's fine with me.

Check and check..rotflmao

"Why do I need a CCL or CCW to purchase from you" I do not get it, it has been covered more times than I can count and yet still comes up. It makes me wonder if the ones asking these questions cannot even legally own a firearm.

I can ask any question I want.
I can legally own a firearm.
Why does this bother you? Is it because of the Sig P229 ad in the Classifieds?
You are getting worked up over nothing.
Let it go.

No I have no problem with your response to what I posted, I just do not understand how somethind that is as basic as "I require a CHL for sale" gets a response of "why". Is is his/her terms and is that simple, but alas some still need to question I guess. To me it is along the same lines as going in to Fred Meyer and asking why do you want to see my ID for the alcohol purchase. It is what they are requesting to complete the transaction.

No I have no problem with your response to what I posted, I just do not understand how somethind that is as basic as "I require a CHL for sale" gets a response of "why". Is is his/her terms and is that simple, but alas some still need to question I guess. To me it is along the same lines as going in to Fred Meyer and asking why do you want to see my ID for the alcohol purchase. It is what they are requesting to complete the transaction.

The difference is that state law requires alcohol sellers to ID buyers who look under 26. There's not legal requirement whatsoever for private firearm sellers to check any form of ID - let alone a CHL. A seller just has to have a reasonable belief that the buyer is a state resident not barred from owning firearms.

The difference is that state law requires alcohol sellers to ID buyers who look under 26. There's not legal requirement whatsoever for private firearm sellers to check any form of ID - let alone a CHL. A seller just has to have a reasonable belief that the buyer is a state resident not barred from owning firearms.

And checking for an ODL and a CHL is a good way to have that reasonable belief...

Wouldn't it be reasonable to say that only a tiny percentage of people who are legally allowed to own firearms have a CHL?

Since my only requirement to sell is to have a reasonable belief that the buyer is a state resident, I'm not going to limit my target audience to only those with a CHL. If I get a receipt with an ODL # on it, I've more than met the requirements of the law.

Even though I have a CHL, I ignore ads which require one. I learned a long time ago that crooks are the least trusting of people.

Since my only requirement to sell is to have a reasonable belief that the buyer is a state resident, I'm not going to limit my target audience to only those with a CHL. If I get a receipt with an ODL # on it, I've more than met the requirements of the law.
Gunner...I knew that someday we would agree on something..(Insert smiley of your choice here)

W44

ps..not meant to ruffle any ones feathers at all.....

Wouldn't it be reasonable to say that only a tiny percentage of people who are legally allowed to own firearms have a CHL?

Even though I have a CHL, I ignore ads which require one. I learned a long time ago that crooks are the least trusting of people.

:s0155:

No I have no problem with your response to what I posted, I just do not understand how somethind that is as basic as "I require a CHL for sale" gets a response of "why". Is is his/her terms and is that simple, but alas some still need to question I guess.

spice37 - let me expalin and I'll use the ad for the P229 that probably started this thread. I was very interested in it, but I did not know why the seller required a CHL, plus my ODL, and when I do not know something I ask a question. I learn things this way. Pretty basic and fairly simple. In this case I wanted to be sure FTF sales in Oregon are as I understand them, and they are. The seller answered my question in a respectful way and I appreciate that. The Sig looks like a really good deal, but a CHL is a personal thing and I chose not to pursue it.
Nothing antogonistic meant to you or the seller, just one explanation from someone who asked "Why".

i do feel the same as sprice 37--i will be going to a handgun class in august,and i'v missed out on some guns,cuz seller had the ccw,cpl,or ccl being a must ! i'v been hunting for 50 yrs--i'v carried my 30/30 over my shoulder through town, and never had a license or permit ! if i was to purchase a gun,and have it sent to my ffl,then what would be the point of seeing my ccl--if you want to sell the gun,and you have a buyer--then send it to his ffl-then osp,or wsp will be in charge ,and if buyer won't except these conditions ! then their is something rotten in denmark ! he!!--you can ship any firearm inside state or across a couple of states for 20 bucks-overnite might be a couple bucks more..

just my thoughts,steven

I couldnt have said it better myself. :s0155:

spice37 - let me expalin and I'll use the ad for the P229 that probably started this thread. I was very interested in it, but I did not know why the seller required a CHL, plus my ODL, and when I do not know something I ask a question. I learn things this way. Pretty basic and fairly simple. In this case I wanted to be sure FTF sales in Oregon are as I understand them, and they are. The seller answered my question in a respectful way and I appreciate that. The Sig looks like a really good deal, but a CHL is a personal thing and I chose not to pursue it.
Nothing antogonistic meant to you or the seller, just one explanation from someone who asked "Why".

I understand completely where you are coming from all the way to asking the question when the answer was plain. Even though the law is very lenient for FTF sales it does not denote the fact that the seller said he required a CHL for sale Just black and white to me with no grey area.

Too many agencies/people already have information that I don't want them to.

I won't show my CHL to anyone I don't want to.

There are always other guns, with more respectful sellers.

I will comply with the law, don't mind going through an FFL and filling out a 4473 and having a NICS check run (well, really I do - it is a 2A issue), but I will comply with applicable law(s).

So, those are my thoughts.

Doug

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews