JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the same reason I own the OTF knife in the picture, because they are fun. And also to make my brother who still lives in Hawaii jealous because he can't have one there. :p

HK-Evo9-1.jpg

I really like being able to shoot a .45 or .22 without earmuffs. It makes it easier to hear if anyone is coming from behind you (particularly important on BLM type land).

In addition, it makes teaching new shooters MUCH easier. The lower noise reduces flinching and fear in a new recruit. It also allows me to speak to the person without yelling, which means they don't miss anything!

Might also be useful during practical rifle/3 gun/etc. night matches. Especially if you are running nvgs or using an sbr where the muzzle flash could ruin your natural night vision.

Why a supressor? Because loud noises cause hearing loss. Actually it is surprising that OSHA doesn't require these for all firearms to reduce the occupational hazard associated with shooting firearms. I don't understand why these are even regulated by the government it is no different than having a muffler on a car, (which you would get ticketed for making too much noise if you drove without a muffler.) It doesn't make the firearm any more or less lethal. Yes they are cool. I guess somebody must have thought it wasn't "fair" to have a quiet gun. Too sneaky to be able to shoot without alerting everyone, but then again you can shoot quietly with a bow or crossbow, so what's the difference? Besides if it is a fair fight your tactics suck.

Why a supressor? Because loud noises cause hearing loss. Actually it is surprising that OSHA doesn't require these for all firearms to reduce the occupational hazard associated with shooting firearms. I don't understand why these are even regulated by the government it is no different than having a muffler on a car, (which you would get ticketed for making too much noise if you drove without a muffler.) It doesn't make the firearm any more or less lethal. Yes they are cool. I guess somebody must have thought it wasn't "fair" to have a quiet gun. Too sneaky to be able to shoot without alerting everyone, but then again you can shoot quietly with a bow or crossbow, so what's the difference? Besides if it is a fair fight your tactics suck.

I totally agree. It sure would be nice to have a suppressor for plinking with a 22/45. Just nuts that a lawful citizen has to pay some crazy tax, fingerprinted, poop in a jar for approval. When was the last time you heard about a gun crime where the perp used a suppressor?

My hearing sucks and it would sure be nice not to have to wear muffs to plink in my own backyard.

All the reasons mentioned plus they are great for introducing new shooters to the world of firearms by taking away a lot of the blast, recoil, and noise.

When was the last time you heard about a gun crime where the perp used a suppressor?
It happens all the time, don't you watch movies? Oh wait, movies are the only place it happens :p

Makes you cool...........

DSC01124.jpg

Hey - that second one down says it was made where I grew up! Wow...I didn't know there was anything worth noting made up there. :)

Why - I think everyone here has offered as compelling an argument as I can think of. I know that as soon as the "clarification" bill gets through both houses here in WA state (fingers crossed), I'm gonna be saving my pennies for a can. Just because I CAN!

Slightly OT, but over here in UK, where we do a LOT of shooting in the hours of darkness [technically called 'night-time'] a suppressor is mandatory.

We don't have to pay a $200 equivalent tax like you guys do, but we do have to have them licenced on our Firearms Certificates.

I use one on a .223 for foxing.

tac

Slightly OT, but over here in UK, where we do a LOT of shooting in the hours of darkness [technically called 'night-time'] a suppressor is mandatory.

We don't have to pay a $200 equivalent tax like you guys do, but we do have to have them licenced on our Firearms Certificates.

tac

Wait...you guys can have guns? I thought even pointed knives were illegal!! ;)

But I agree with all that's been said so far, there are many advantages and few, if any negatives to using a suppressor.

Dear Mr Darkminstrel - again with the 'you guys', eh? Assumptions, assumptions. Tsk tsk.

Now, since your emoticon is not visible to me, I'll be charitable and assume it's funny.

Yes, I have eighteen guns here in yUK. Three handguns [two BP and a long-barrelled Super Redhawk], six centre-fire rifles, two BP rifles and seven .22LR. And yes, they have been listed in one of my earlier posts - nothing to get excited about as far as you guys are concerned, in fact, they caused a laff among a few of you. However, until I come back to Oregon they are enough to keep me going while I shoot four times a week on my two club ranges. A couple of times a month fox-clearing in the neighbourhood, too.

...and now, back to the thread.......

tac

why would you NEED a colored computer monitor? you can basically do the same things without color...why do people need cell phones? people have lived comfortable lives for thousands of years without them.

a human needs very little to survive and will find any means to entertain himself, pushing the limits of what we have available is just part of life...if suppressors exist, then people will want them, period

and they make bullets quieter, it would be awesome to shoot centerfire rounds without hearing protection...for now i only shoot .22lr CB long and 22 shorts without ear plugs

After using silencers for several years, I've found that it's really annoying to go shooting without them or go shooting where others are not using them. Once you start it's near impossible to go back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top