JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Complete neophyte with this caliber, curious about uses for it. Primary interest would be defensive, though it appears that this caliber is also used for at least smaller game. What do you recommend this caliber for and why? Any particular rifles that you recommend in this caliber - again, why? I am ".223-curious," considering whether there is any sort of "ideal" rifle in the caliber - at least any that are reasonable in cost. Thanks for any input.

It's cheap and you can find it in bulk...it's mainly for small game. Military switched to it so you could carry lots of rounds and it has a lower recoil on full auto than the 7.62x51 (.308).

It has its benifits and its disadvantages. Overall, there are much better callibers out there. But try finding bulk ammo for anything other than 7.62x39 or 5.56 (.223)!

It's cheap and you can find it in bulk...it's mainly for small game. Military switched to it so you could carry lots of rounds and it has a lower recoil on full auto than the 7.62x51 (.308).

It has its benifits and its disadvantages. Overall, there are much better callibers out there. But try finding bulk ammo for anything other than 7.62x39 or 5.56 (.223)!

What he said.

Cheap to shoot (usually)

Easy to find (mostly)

Light recoil. I'd rather shoot .223 than 22-250 thru my varmint rifles. 22-250 rocks just enough to take me off the sight picture after a shot. 223 doesnt do that, so I get to see if I hit. The relatively minor distance loss using .223 isn't a factor with my meager abilities.:)

Complete neophyte with this caliber, curious about uses for it. Primary interest would be defensive, though it appears that this caliber is also used for at least smaller game. (1)What do you recommend this caliber for and why? Any particular rifles that you recommend in this caliber - again, why? I am ".223-curious," considering whether there is any sort of(2) "ideal" rifle in the caliber - at least any that are reasonable in cost. Thanks for any input.

1) Varmint hunting
2)That would be the AR. The combo of .223 and AR makes a great SHTF for both defense and putting food on the table.

As far as strictly a defensive round, there are many that are better.

in the military if you shoot your enemy with a 223 then it will bounce around and wound them, then it takes a second to tend to them. thus taking two. plus the weight is also a factor. The age old arguement. of course most countries shoot 7.62x39 back at us. dont get in the way of that. we shoot back from a long ways of with 7.62x51 nato lites out! god bless our troops

what the consensus seems to be is that the 223 has a less desirable function as an assault or defensive round, and is more suitable for varmint hunting, target practice and such. The biggest advantage being its larger capacity in most mags. While it can be used in SHTF, the .308 is preferred as it is larger and more accurate. is this..right?

what the consensus seems to be is that the 223 has a less desirable function as an assault or defensive round, and is more suitable for varmint hunting, target practice and such. The biggest advantage being its larger capacity in most mags. While it can be used in SHTF, the .308 is preferred as it is larger and more accurate. is this..right?

In my very humble opinion, .308 is way too big for a SHTF round, and too much gun for most applications besides big game. Big cartridge equals less capacity and heavier weapon. 6.8SPC is a nice middle-ground for all around performance vs weight, plenty big for deer and yet not overkill for smaller game either. However, for SHTF, 6.8 availability comes into play. .223 is available damn near everywhere as a NATO round. The .308 also has availability going for it. Accuracy differences are negligable.

My breakdown is this: for a purely urban setting, the .223 will be a fine round. It is effective out to 200-300 yards.

However, for a true SHTF caliber, .308 is the way to go. The .308 is the best 'general purpose' round out there. It will be effective out to 500-600 yards with iron sights, further out with a scope. You can hunt everything up to an Elk with it. Also, keep in mind, a .308 round is much more effective in punching through walls and cars and other types of cover.

As for carrying capacity, I think that is over-rated. Unlike the military--most of us won't be getting into firefights. Without medical support teams, surviving these is very unlikely. So, carrying 150 or so rounds while you're out and about will be more than adequate. The .308 is a sure man-stopper with one hit; this is not true with the .223. If you're trying to survive, your weapon is to get you out of trouble, so it will be about evasion and dis-engagement.

Anyway, I highly recommend to read the Gun Bible; packed with great information and analysis of the major rifle platforms (FAL, M1A, G3, AR, AK, etc). He helped inform me on how to put together an effective battery as well.

In my very humble opinion, .308 is way too big for a SHTF round, and too much gun for most applications besides big game. Big cartridge equals less capacity and heavier weapon. 6.8SPC is a nice middle-ground for all around performance vs weight, plenty big for deer and yet not overkill for smaller game either. However, for SHTF, 6.8 availability comes into play. .223 is available damn near everywhere as a NATO round. The .308 also has availability going for it. Accuracy differences are negligable.

I've come to this exact same conclusion....but good luck finding 6.8 SPC under $1 a bullet.

I think of 5.56 as a squad friendly caliber. IOW, a lot of guys opening upon on somebody will zap him good in mutual support.

Being an individual with no support from another rifle shooter, let alone a group of them, I want something harder hitting, especially against concealment, cover, and/or vehicles.

7.62x39mm is my minimum. I also have a Garand in .30-06. I look to be getting into a Kel-Tec RFB soon and going to 7.62x51.

I have several .223s, but they are way too expensive to shoot for practice. By practice I mean >500rds a week. With 5.45 I can do that no problem. Most of the people with tacti-cool ARs show up to the range and leave after one mag or two it seems to me. Since when is 300 or more per thousand "cheap to shoot"

No luck needed, thanks. Bulk. :)

Again, where are you finding 6.8SPC under $1 a bullet? Even in bulk they are about that price...unless you are reloading or buying from someone who is I'm calling BS on this one.

5.56 is better simply because it is cheaper and for no other reason...there are better callibers and rifles out there than 5.56 ARs. Nevertheless, good luck finding them in the prices, the ammo in bulk and the platform you want to make it in that ARs come in.

If you are downtown any city when the world goes to **** an AK would be nice to have. But when you start to move out of town and the target distance gets farther It would be nice to have AR sights. If we are talking 7.62x39 vs 5.56 damage I would not want to take a hit from either.

Bruce.

.223 is a dandy carbine round--it's a reasonable choice for home defense in a single-family dwelling and suburban environs. Rifles chambered for it will be handy to carry on a tractor, ATV, or pickup (or on foot) if you're out in the country. Take your pick of rifle, I'd stick with either Mini-14 or AR15, they each have their plusses and minuses so try (or at least fondle) both and see which suits you better. No matter which you choose, somebody's going to tell you it was a bad decision, so just pick what suits you.

.308 is a great all-around rifle round. You will not be touching this one off indoors, the noise will destroy your situational awareness and you have no idea what the round is going to hit after it goes through your target and the next three walls. Only in the direst of situations will you be needing this in urban areas--you'd have to have a valid excuse to be firing through cars or walls. It turns cover into concealment, which is a great thing if you should have need of that. There are a number of good battle rifles in .308, but they're heavy and tend to be more expensive. The M1A, FN-FAL, and HK91/PTR-91 all have good reputations, although you'll get arguments about that, too.

You just have to ask yourself whether you're looking for a carbine, or a rifle. Personally I have both, but it's taken some time to get there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top