JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's easy, Sister Mary Elisabeth at St. Therese Catholic school, and I have the steel edged ruler knuckle scars to prove it.

I had a friend in a Catholic high school, got his knucks cracked by a nun. He, being a hooligan, cold cocked the old girl! This actually solved a few problems for him, regular high school (w/girls), easier curriculum, got to hang around with us other hooligans! At the cost of his dad kicking his azz.

It's worth noting that within the year he died in a bad motorcycle wreck!:)

Last Edited:
Grandpa

Pacific theater

Name

Race

White

Birth Year

Age Group

17 - 20

Residence

Carroll County, Iowa

Height71 in.

Weight

167 lbs.

Civilian Occupation

Farm hands, general farms

Marital Status

Single, without dependents

Education

Grammar SchoolCitizenship StatusU.S. Citizen

Service Details

Rank

Private

Branch

Branch Immaterial or General OfficersComponentSelectees

Enlistment Details

Enlistment Location

CP Dodge HerroldEnlistment DateDecember 26, 1942

Enlistment Term

Enlistment for duration of War plus six months

Army Serial Number

You got to respect those WWII vets. They were all tough guys. My grandfathers papers (I have them now) look much like yours. Born in '23, Private first class, Infantry marksman, European Theater. Highly decorated. Was in the battel of the bulge. There's a story I found on the interweb about him and some of his adventures... He didn't back down to anyone either... God bless those that serve this country and keep us all safe!!!

I would also have to mention my wife, I did happen to see her get gutted twice having our little monsters. The 2nd kid will be a year ago this month, they also cut her bladder, then had to wait opened up on the table for over 45 mins until a urologist drove up from clackamas to salmon creek.
Having kids is some scary ish.

#2 on my list
John Wayne Walding.
First amputee to be re-certified for SF Combat duty.
The Army / VA Screwed him over when he got out said he wasn't disabled because he was certified for combat.

Everyday I was with him his nub was bugging him pretty bad.
He never complained though. Tough as nail's.

Last Edited:
I would also have to mention my wife, I did happen to see her get gutted twice having our little monsters. The 2nd kid will be a year ago this month, they also cut her bladder, then had to wait opened up on the table for over 45 mins until a urologist drove up from clackamas to salmon creek.
Having kids is some scary ish.
Good point--any woman who's ever given birth, *especially* by C-section, deserves some serious cred in this department.

My Dad. In his teens hopped freight trains to find work as a mechanic to send money to his parents to help support the family during the depression.

When he was old enough to be drafted he served in Mindanao as a scout and did things like clear out caves that had been occupied. He was shot in his helmet at one point and the bullet penetrated the outer layer and spun around inside until it lost energy.

One day he and his partner scout wound up in a firefight triggered by a machine gun nest they failed to spot. His partner was immediately killed and he found a small depression that gave him just enough cover to keep from getting hit. He wound up laying on his grenades as he dove into the depression. He couldn't return fire without exposing himself to the machine gun nest, so he carefully tried to get at his grenades. As he rose slightly to get at them he was grazed, then tried again but this time one of the bullets hit his spare ammo which exploded tearing open his side.

About that time his squad caught up to his position and he was able to point out the position of the nest to what he calls the "BAR guy" who was able to clear out the nest. With the nest out of action my Dad attempted to move away he found he was snagged on something that turned out to be his intestines. He got them "unsnagged" and stuffed them back inside then crawled back to his squad where they stabilized him and eventually got him to a MASH unit. He spent his 19th birthday in a hospital ward.

God only knows how many and what type of medals John Kerry would have put himself in for, but those days that rated a Purple Heart. A REAL Purple Heart. I never heard the vast majority of the above until I started taking him to his medical appointments at the VA a few years ago.

Contrast to the snowflakes who protested in tantrums for a couple of weeks after the election because they couldn't handle not getting what they wanted.

Dad's bad assery continued after his service. He fractured his back in a grinder room at the paper mill he worked at and didn't miss a single day. In fact, his first sick day was just a few years before retirement nearly 40 years later when he had an inner ear problem and couldn't walk.

As tough as he is he is also generous to a fault and has never not helped anyone when asked. He's a guy who never gives up. At 90 he still exercises and does what he can to keep going strong. I'm proud his blood flows within my veins.

Wow man great story and what an honor to be in the same family as some of these guys.
The sad thing is the old time combat Vets rarely, if ever talked about their work and dedication to others. So imagine how many stories remain unknown. You hear one story and are in awe, but as we know true stories of heroics and and almost super human acts are a common occurance in war time.

What a human being will do for another in the worst of circumstances is truly unbelievable.

I'd say just about any WWII vet qualifies.
Now that I look back at it, I think my father had to have lied about his age to join the navy.
I know he lied about his medical status. He could not raise his left arm above his head and
managed to hide the fact by always placing himself into the center of a group of men when
they were being checked for fitness. Eventually he got caught and discharged, but promptly
went and joined the Merchant Marines. I know he had at least one ship shot out from under him,
but he survived and went onto become an electrical engineer and then onto management.

Like most vets, he didn't talk much about his service. I do know he was a radio operator and said the radio room was just about the hottest and most cramped area on the ship.

My great grandfather wouldnt shut up about his service in the first word war . I think it was the best time of his life. The good thing was he could go on and on and he told me things about my other relatives whom I never met that he had known. Big bunch of wanderlust guys who had seen stuff I could never imagine. Set the stage for my 20's and 30's.

They weren't sharing names and didn't appear to be interested in talking with ordinary soldiers like us. The shriveled, blackened ears nailed to the side rail of their 5/4 truck told me all I needed to know about their unwillingness to take prisoners. Sometime in October 1971, about 25 miles south of DaNang.

They weren't sharing names and didn't appear to be interested in talking with ordinary soldiers like us. The shriveled, blackened ears nailed to the side rail of their 5/4 truck told me all I needed to know about their unwillingness to take prisoners. Sometime in October 1971, about 25 miles south of DaNang.
Sounds almost like Nungs... the ear-taking allegedly started because CIA was trying to screw them out of the bounties on Charlie saying "no way can you guys be killing that many" and the officer leading started having them take an ear from each kill and send 'em in for proof.

Too young, but I have friends who served Over There, and some of their war-stories... *shivers*

Ive seen an ear garland from an old Lt. Colonel I used to work with. A dozen or so hard shriveled crusty looking things . He sure liked that thing.

I never got into collecting "trophies" or keeping count of enemy dead.
( Other than a "body count" for a AAR )
That said I knows guys who did.
Anyways ... Back to the baddest M-F'r I've ever known:
That would be the Croatians or Bosnians I trained , worked with or served with.
During our "PeaceKeeping" Mission there.
Andy

My great grandfather wouldnt shut up about his service in the first word war . I think it was the best time of his life. The good thing was he could go on and on and he told me things about my other relatives whom I never met that he had known. Big bunch of wanderlust guys who had seen stuff I could never imagine. Set the stage for my 20's and 30's.
My Grand dad was the opposite, he would never talk about the War. I have always been a WWII history buff but every time id ask grandpa about the war, he look away, shake his head and just say no.
As for the baddest, its tough but i would have to say my Great Uncle. He was a paratrooper in the 101st and made all the jumps. He also would not talk about the war and all I could get out of him about Bastogne was that " it was cold "

My Grand dad was the opposite, he would never talk about the War. I have always been a WWII history buff but every time id ask grandpa about the war, he look away, shake his head and just say no.
As for the baddest, its tough but i would have to say my Great Uncle. He was a paratrooper in the 101st and made all the jumps. He also would not talk about the war and all I could get out of him about Bastogne was that " it was cold "

Same with my Dad. I knew he'd been severely wounded as he has the scars to show it, but I'd have never known 99% of it if I hadn't been taking him to the VA to meet with his doctors.

Some people like war and and I don't want to say like being killers but maybe it doesnt bother them as much as it does some of us. I always figure we don't know what we are capable of until we are put in that situation and some men don't want to remember what they are capable of when its all over. There are some people who thrive in combat and Ive known a very few men that weren't bothered in the slightest with their combat service and all that goes along with it. Or at least thats what they want the rest of us to believe. .

Ive known a few Benny-Badazzez in my life but at this point Id have to say, my Dad. He was something of a religious fanatic but he walked the walk. Tried to enlist several times after 12/7 and was turned down for medical reasons, his eyes I think, and his age (he was 30). Then they drafted him,, LOL.. he spent his war as an MP, mostly guarding POWs and sometimes US military prisoners.Hecriss-crossed the Atlantic ferrying US troops there and German and Italians back.. he almost never talked about it to us kids but did open up to Mom (who shared some with us after he passed). Fear of U-Boats was always present yet like most he was able to git-r-done. Finally as the war wound down they discharged him for the same medical reason (his eyesight) they had 4-F'd in the first place...
After the war he spent a lot of time in the Michigan North Woods... settled down some, got some landscape architect paperwork, married, opened a business and a family.
Died at age 63 of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, requested a military funeral and went into the ground in his ww2 dress uniform.
He raised me and taught me a lot of core values- common decency perhaps at the top of the list. That alone was an accomplishment!:)

The most bad azz guys I know are my 4 sons. 3 Marine Corps combat veterans. Iraq, Afghanistan and the war that never was in Dujoubti and Yemen. Multiple engagements with the Taliban, survived IED detonations, encounters with the "friendly" Iraqi police force. One had to come home mid tour because I was dying in the hospital, but went right back to his unit in some god forsaken shi* hole in Afghanistan.

I watched them come home and deal with the post combat PTSD issues from the contacts and seeing their brothers KIA. My other son was a firefighter paramedic and made Lt. at 28. He has dealt with the usual blood and gore and is now a training officer.

Those other older guys that some of you have mentioned are no doubt bad azzes. There is now a new generation of those kinds of people in these young veterans. I did not serve, but tried to instill a need to serve your fellow man in some way, and all 4 are currently or were volunteer firefighters in their communities. I also tried to teach them no sh*t attitudes and not to take sh*t or allow others to take advantage of others or weaker people. Hard work and honesty wins the day.

Retired cardiac surgeon in my radio shop showed me his concealed single action .45 long colt. Then told me how he had killed two men that needed killing at different times in his life. Holy moly!!

Hm. I'd have to say my wife's late uncle Harold. I only had the pleasure of seeing him in person on three or four long occasions - the first being when he and his wife came to our wedding. He impressed the hell out of me because he was down to earth, humble, and a very plain spoken man. He was devout in his beliefs without being preachy. He was as honest as any man I've ever met. He was just a great guy.

He and his wife raised a family with three kids - two sons and a daughter. He was career Army - and served during Vietnam and after. It was on the last visit I saw him in person that he gave some detail about what he did in Vietnam - he was a tunnel rat for a time when he was in the infantry. He was one of the lucky ones who didn't loose their mind from that work. After Vietnam he remained in the service and retired as a senior NCO in a tank brigade.

He did volunteer work with a handful of charities, he was in the Knights of Columbus, and he remained married to his high school sweet heart until his dying day - they were married for almost 50 years before he lost his life in a traffic collision - killed by a piece of crap trucker that was high on meth and had alcohol in his system, who fled the scene after ramming their minivan and running them off the road.

Harold was indeed a badass, because to me he was the epitome of what a man should be - honest, humble, firm, and compassionate with a deep love for his family, his God, and his country.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top