JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a couple I killed the last couple years!

To be honest bear isn't my #1 favorite thing to eat but it's good enough and being in the woods full of new life watching herds of elk, grouse drum away, and scouting for that fall's buck; all with the chance to kill something is hard to pass up

cce84b09.jpg

20 4/16" P&Y

df69f815.jpg

Taken with my GREATgrandpa's ".30 WCF"

A couple of fine Bear! My family and I gave up on spring bear as the meat isn't anywhere as good as a fall bear that's gorging on berries and apples, yummie! We took three this fall, nothing bigger than 350 or so, but all were good eaters. Any bear is a real trophy though. Good luck and enjoy every minute of it:s0155:

Nothing like that dark hair in the woods.
Love bear hunting.
The meat,,,, it's average. Come on I can't lie, it's tough to enjoy.
It's all in the prep though I know.

I have tried for the last three years for spring and fall bear with no luck. I love being in the woods though. Sure beats sitting at home. If you had any tips to spare a novice at bear hunting, PM's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Bear hunting is much fun.
Almost as fun as mule deer hunting.
Sping time, they eat grass. Fall find the berries.
Bears are like humans. If its hot, head for shad and water. If its cool, get up and move.
Coke can size crap, is a larger bear.
Above all, use your ears. Sometimes there noisy, sometimes there stealth. They will just come out of nowhere. But I've been lucky to hear them most times.
Watch your wind also.
Law of averages. The more your out there, the better your chances.
Good luck

Sage advice from Oregonhunter5:s0155: To that I would add,, Blackberry's, their addicted to them. My now adult kids and I have taken a long string of fall bear by glassing the vast dense patches here on the coast. As stated in the above post, really pay attention to the wind, I can't stress that enough. I think it's a toss up between the bear and the elk as to whom has the better sniffer. Use your glasses. Look for that black patch that seem to suck up all the light without reflecting anything back.

And PLEASE look for cubs before pulling that trigger. Many times we've glassed nice big bear for quite awhile before seeing the cubs, all at once there they are. The last thing you want in your memory is the thought of leaving a couple of young cubs to die a slow death.

Couple more thoughts.
Anchor them down with a shot tight behind the shoulder. Very tight. Then lay another one on him. Bears can run and run and run. Then die. Fat plugs the bullet hole sometimes.
Bears are Hard to judge on size. If the ears look really small, shoot it.
After you get one, hang it up and skin it. Tell me what you think it looks like.
It will freak You out.

I would love to do this, but have no experience hunting bear. Would love it if someone could PM me some details, maybe where to go, tactics. I'm sure it's not the same as deer.

I've heard they somewhat resemble a human with the skin off, but I have never seen one that way yet.
I therefore understand your sentiment, bet I'll be freaked when the time comes for me !!

If you really want to freak out, cape the paws out. Makes my hands hurt thinking about it, lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

When I was just a lil squirt we used to chase bears with some of my dads (Nestucca) high school buddies but since they banned dogs it was never a solid thought in my mind until recently that I missed elk season due to knee surgery and needed to get out of the house.

I got a wild hair a couple years ago and started hunting them in the spring, MAN 'O MAN!!! Besides bow hunting elk, spring bears are my 2nd favorite thing to hunt!

I'm a third generation PC Doryman so this year I'd really like to focus some time on fall bears in August. Bottom fish for ling in the AM, clean up, glass cuts in the evening 'till dark and do it all over again... Ol Gus Orviston ain't got nothing on my "perfect schedule" lol

When I was just a lil squirt we used to chase bears with some of my dads (Nestucca) high school buddies but since they banned dogs it was never a solid thought in my mind until recently that I missed elk season due to knee surgery and needed to get out of the house.

I got a wild hair a couple years ago and started hunting them in the spring, MAN 'O MAN!!! Besides bow hunting elk, spring bears are my 2nd favorite thing to hunt!

I'm a third generation PC Doryman so this year I'd really like to focus some time on fall bears in August. Bottom fish for ling in the AM, clean up, glass cuts in the evening 'till dark and do it all over again... Ol Gus Orviston ain't got nothing on my "perfect schedule" lol

I am the proud father of this fine man! If you can see the bumper sticker on the truck in his first photo it was the motto I raised him with, "I'd rather be hunting WITH my kids than hunting FOR my kids!" Hey salmonriverjohn, let get out in the dory this year rather than just taking about it....I know my fault...what are you days off? We three could go together...I do not fish weekends though...just let the tourists have the beach

I am the proud father of this fine man! If you can see the bumper sticker on the truck in his first photo it was the motto I raised him with, "I'd rather be hunting WITH my kids than hunting FOR my kids!" Hey salmonriverjohn, let get out in the dory this year rather than just taking about it....I know my fault...what are you days off? We three could go together...I do not fish weekends though...just let the tourists have the beach

You pick the dates my friend, I'll take whatever, whenever, whichever off! Welcome to the site skipper.

love spring bear hunting got the new 308 out and ready to drop one. as far as eating bear meat, add 20% beef fat to it grind it up into hamburger meat and your set for the summer barbecue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top