JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a spare barrel for my BPS. It's a 28" barrel with a vent rib, and I want to cut it down to around 19 or 20 inches and add a decent set of fiber optic sights. For those that have done this before, what did you do about the vent rib, and what kind of sight options are available?

I would prefer to have no rib on this barrel, but it looks like it would be a major PITA to completely remove it. Looking at the barrel that's on the gun now, it looks like I could cut it to about 20 1/8" and have the muzzle flush with one of the rib pillars. Any suggestions?

TIA

I'm about to cut my Benelli down to about 18" as well...I, too, am wondering how this rib vent is going to muster out.

I'd buy a replacement barrel if they weren't so bloody expensive. No barrel costs $500...unless it's gold plated or something crazy like that.

I got lucky. New Browning barrels are about $250, unless you order them from Browning. Then I think they're more. I found a used one on another forum for $75 shipped. Mirror bore, with a gloss finish. My shotgun's matte, but for the price I could'nt pass it up.

At least I won't feel as bad about messing up a $75 barrel...

What is your main barrel?

I just got a BPS with a 20" cyl barrel, and I'd rather have something a little longer with a little tighter choke or screw in chokes. If you have something about 24" I'd love to trade...

What is your main barrel?

I just got a BPS with a 20" cyl barrel, and I'd rather have something a little longer with a little tighter choke or screw in chokes. If you have something about 24" I'd love to trade...

Both barrels are 28". The one I just bought is a 3" chamber, fixed mod choke, 95% blue with a couple tiny rust spots (according to the ad).

Both barrels are 28". The one I just bought is a 3" chamber, fixed mod choke, 95% blue with a couple tiny rust spots (according to the ad).

Dang, I've already got a 28" barrelled pump shotgun.

I'm planning to cut a poly choke off another shotgun soon, but it has no rib, so I won't be able to offer you further insight there.

If you can check out AGI's video called "The Fighting 870" where they cut a barrel and show all the finish work (chamfering, crowning,etc)in great detail. Defintely worth checking out. I have a copy and really like and agree with the upgrades they do for a defense shotgun. PM me if you need any more info about the video.

I've cut probably a dozen or more, ribbed and non. For ribbed I just cut it at the end of one of the little supports for the rib. Might not be exactly the length you want, but close enough. Just don't go under 18" lol. I guess I have an addiction to buying cheap shotguns and chopping them up. And I've done a few for friends. Ribbed barrels are a mother to cut down comparred to non ribbed.

Hey guys,

I had a vent ribbed barrel cut down and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the overall looks of it after it was done. The rib just made it look a littler meaner for some reason. Give it a try, you may just like it that way. The guy that cut mine down liked it so much that he cut his ribbed barrel down also.

I also think they look pretty sweet with a vented rib barrel cut down! There is no need to crown the barrel on your "sawwed off" shotgun!

I have done a couple barrels. For the non-ribbed I just use a pipe cutter for the ribbed or SxS I have used a mill. I would think it difficult to do with out a good mill, not impossible, but just not as easy.

I had a local gunsmith do mine, he relocated the front sight bead and reblued the tip. Came out beautiful. Only cost me $45. It was worth it to me as it was my father's old bird gun full choke 28" barrel wingmaster.

Well, I finally did it. It took me a little over 3 hours last night, but it came out all right. The crown isn't perfect, but it looks pretty good. I'm not completely done yet, there's still a couple light saw marks on the low side of the crown that I need to clean up, but he end is square, and the burrs are cleaned up.

The saw marks look worse in the picture than they actually are because I used a sharpie to see exactly what I was filing down. They're shallow enough that I can't feel them with a finger or a fingernail.

One thing I didn't think of was that the rib is pinned on near the muzzle end, and when I cut it I took off the section where the roll pin is. Now the rib moves slightly fore and aft (less than 1/4"). Because of this, I haven't touched the rib with a file or sandpaper yet. I'll deal with that once it's reattached.

Here it is with the stock 28" barrel on top. Final length of the new barrel was a hair over 20.5"

IMG_0853.jpg

The crown. Not real pretty yet, but it should work until I have time to finish it up.

IMG_0855.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads