JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I get email alerts from the Salem PD, things that don't always make the portland news. I thought this one was worth sharing:

News Release from: Salem Police Dept.
MAN ACCIDENTALLY FIRES BULLET THROUGH NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE.
Posted: January 6th, 2012 12:41 AM

On January 5, 2012 at 10:00 p.m., the Salem Police Department responded to a report of a bullet being fired into a residence located in the 1300 block of Alpine Lakes St SE. When officers arrived, they determined the bullet came from the neighbors house. The subsequent investigation revealed that the neighbor, Tyler Young (26 years), had unintentionally discharged a single bullet from his AK-47 rifle. The bullet traveled through several walls in Young's residence and into his neighbor's house. The bullet then traveled through several walls and a door in the neighbor's house where two adults and two children were inside. Nobody was injured in the shooting. The bullet narrowly missed the occupants inside the neighbor's house. Mr. Young was arrested and charged with 3 counts of Recklessly Endangering and was lodged at the Marion County Correctional Facility.

I cannot stop thinking this fellow could be one of the many frequent NWFA posters, someone who let his guard down. Sometimes shooters fail to understand why there are several apparently redundant firearm safety rules. We are human and eventually will make mistakes. But when we make the habit to follow all the rules, when we break one rule, it will be the keeping of the other rules what will save our rs or someone else's rs.

I've set up shop in my garage. I dry fire about once a week with both handguns and rifles. I have painted bullseyes on steel plates I've set up at the garage back wall. It may cost a hundred or two to have a similar set up. But it is still much more cheaper than lawyer fees.

The Middle School in this area is notoriously bad. Gangbangers, etc. Someone close to me used to teach there.

I wonder if Mr. Young was either part of the problem or just trying to protect himself from the problems. In the case of the latter he should strongly consider moving.

On a sidenote (and this is no excuse for unsafe practices) the AK does not have a hold-open, unlike the AR, the SKS, and other popular semi-auto rifles. Anyone who owns an AK has gotta be in the habit of clearing it.

Luck no one was hit. Also what gets me is you watch on tv or a movie and bullets can't go through a bamboo stick wall as you watch the guy running on the other side. That drives me nuts when one knows how far a bullet will penetrate.

Sometimes shooters fail to understand why there are several apparently redundant firearm safety rules. We are human and eventually will make mistakes. But when we make the habit to follow all the rules, when we break one rule, it will be the keeping of the other rules what will save our rs or someone else's rs.

Thank goodness nobody was injured or worse. I always try to learn from the mistakes of others. Rules are meant to be followed...

...the AK does not have a hold-open, unlike the AR, the SKS, and other popular semi-auto rifles. Anyone who owns an AK has gotta be in the habit of clearing it.

I've never handled an AK, does this mean the bolt is always closed and you can't lock it open? Gheesh, I think I'd buy a chamber flag for that, at least something would block the chamber for handling. But now that I think of it my NAA guardian pocket pistol has no such feature. You must manually pull the slide just to check if it is loaded. I end up checking every time I take it in and out of my pocket.

Since were on the subject has anyone built there own bullet catcher? What would it take, maybe a midsized barrel filled with sand and a tube to place the rifle or handgun in? Not looking to stop a .50BMG, just common hunting and defense calibers.

A loaded ak with a chambered round in your house ???, thats what rifle ranges are for..I don`t know what he was doing but he obviously doesn`t know how to properly clear a weapon...thank god nobody was hurt..

YMaybe it's me,but.......three counts of reckless endangerment??? I mean to say, if my neighbor shot my house l would help him review the safety rules. ...and say fix my house mow my lawn all summer. ....give me one of your guns. ....IDK.....No one in my family was injured. ..I would bet 10,000.00 he would never have a ND again.

To me it seems this event will surely start a cascade of new laws that we don't need.

Now if someone was injured. .....definitely through the book at him or her.
I heard the guy on the raido. ...he was very sorry. ...it wasn't like a smart ars punk that hides behind the old" i don't know how it went off" BS.

Since were on the subject has anyone built there own bullet catcher? What would it take, maybe a midsized barrel filled with sand and a tube to place the rifle or handgun in? Not looking to stop a .50BMG, just common hunting and defense calibers.

I mad one. 5 gallon with lid. Cut hole in lid. Filled with 60 Lbs of sand. put the lid on. After I clear a gun, do a visual check and lut the slide down I point the gun down and pull the trigger. I have never fire tested it for function, but know that i think about it I will see if I can get permission to test it at the range. If I can I will post a report.

Three counts for one AD? So if your piece goes off in a football stadium, that's 75,000 counts? Hmm.

Btw, with all that penetration, they either have some mighty flimsy houses or that 7.62 was the John Holmes of cartidge loads.

This is why I'd never want to use a weapon such as an AK in an urban environment as a home defense weapon. Hopefully this guy just made a tragic mistake and never will make it again.

When I clean a long gun at home I subconsciously point it at something that will stop or significantly slow a round, such as a fridge, tub, etc. That is even after all the safety checks. Scary stuff.

I watched the news and he was a remorseful young man who owned up to his mistake. He's being kicked out of the apartment after only living there for three days, which just compounds his problems. My guess is that although charged, if he has a clean record, they may not choose to prosecute, or will plea him down to something less painful.

l once shot my neighbors dog house.

I was cleaning my HMR and put my bolt back in and went to put a spent round in the chamber, I don't like to leave it cocked or dry fire if I don't have to. So I grabbed a 17 HM2 round, checked to make sure it wasn't live (came from my brass bucket), no bullet, put it in, pulled the trigger, hole in my wall.

Turns out the bullet had been pushed down into the casing. I didn't touch my guns for a week is scared the piss out of my so bad.

Moral of the story, make your empty is empty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top