Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wholesale Sports - Silverdale

Discussion in 'Washington Reviews' started by Northwest Firearms, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Northwest Firearms

Northwest Firearms Pacific Northwest Site Maintenance

2. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

I've never liked Wholesale Sports, all the way back to when it was Sportman's Warehouse. I've got a few reasons:

Inattentive counter staff.

No consignments or used guns, and selection is pretty much limited to shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, and ARs. No great variety on any of these items, and seems like they don't stock anything that wasn't made in the US unless it says Glock, Beretta, Sig, or Benelli on it.

I bought a SIG Mosquito once and was berated by the guy behind the counter (fat dude, always wears camo, wears a mullet and a rat tail) for not wanting the version of it that was in desert camo print, which is lame as hell. He almost lost the sale, but they had it below MSRP (rare for Wholesale Sports), so I held out until the deal was done.

One of the counter employees used to bring in some sort of bloodhound and its puppies and let them run loose around the store. You could hear them howling as soon as you walked in the door. I'm not really a dog guy, so I found this to be pretty off-putting.

Really poor selection of ammo if you're a recreational shooter. If you're a hunter, you'll probably be satisfied. Otherwise, don't plan on finding any variety of centerfire plinking rounds here - it's my biggest issue with Wholesale Sports. In fact, I had a recent conversation with the department manager that went something like this:

Me: I was wondering why you guys don't stock any cheap steel-cased ammo such as Wolf, Tulammo, etc?
    Manager: Steel-cased ammo will void the warranty on most guns. (BS meter is already peaked - many manufacturers OK steel-cased ammo, and most combloc milsurp firearms are designed to work with it)
    Me: Okay.. I shoot mostly AKs, which are designed to work with steel-cased ammo. This isn't really an issue for me.
    Manager: We don't sell AKs or AK ammo. (There's some truth to this - I've never seen a single case of 7.62x39 anything in their store, but I shoot AKs in .223 and .308 as well. Nevertheless, the purpose of this comment was lost on me. You don't sell these guns, so therefore you shouldn't sell ammo for them?)
    Me: You guys have no plans to carry any ammo in 7.62x39? It's a round that's in huge demand right now.
    Manager: Nope, we don't have it and don't plan to carry it.
    Me: You guys are right on my way to the Poulsbo range. I would do a lot of business here if I could pick up some cheap steel-cased plinking rounds on my way to the range, especially for .223 and 7.62x39.
    Manager: Sorry, we don't have any plans to carry it. You can go to BIG-5 down the road. I'm sure they'll have it (actually, they don't).

So, their business plan includes telling you to go to a competitor's store because they refuse to offer to stock an entire category of product that any gun/outdoors store worth its weight in crap would stock in great abundance these days. That is my experience with Wholesale Sports.

As far as bulk goes, the only things you'll ever see in bulk at Wholesale Sports is .223, 9MM Luger, .40 S&W, and maybe .308 every now and then. Even then, it's too expensive. For example, Black Hills .223 is usually their bulk sell on that caliber.

The ONLY reason that these guys are still around is that they're the only game in town unless you want to take the 1:30 drive to Cabela's, or 1:00 to Sportco in Fife.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

or surplus arms & ammo in lakewood.

I go to Wholesale sports a lot. I haven't seen the guy you are talking about he must be the new guy they haired part-time instead of me. I will look for him next time i am there and test him. I don't buy ammo from them. Way too pricey.

4. mancat

He's been there since it was Sportsman's Warehouse.

When I meant "only game in town" it was more about them being a full outdoors store. Yeah, there are a lot more guns-only shops around.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

you were right. In silverdale, and i don't count Big 5, Wholesale sports is the only game in town

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The no AK thing might have to do with them being owned by a Canadian Tractor store business. In talks with the local guys here they are in the process of making some big changes cause they finally realised they (upper management) knows NOTHING about running a sportings goods store that sell firearms.

7. mancat

I'll cross my fingers for that.. It would be nice to have a decent shooting supplies store on my way to the local range. Right now, they can't fill the role.

8. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

Hello NWF users,

I saw the post and wanted to chime in. You are right, we haven't sold AK's or carried anything more in 7.62x39 other than Winchester hunting. We do have plans to carry more plinking rounds in this caliber and other popular calibers. We haven't carried much in steel case ammo. We do receive Blazer (Brass and Steel) from time to time, mostly in popular handgun cartidges. We will be stocking more heavily in bulk case ammo from HSM. The bulk comes in an ammo can and is reman. We carry .223, 9mm, 45 ACP, and .308, with plans to carry .40 S&W, and 7.62x39 very soon. So far, our customers have given us favorable reviews on the HSM.

You did hear correctly about our business practices changing dramatically. Here in the Vancouver store the change has gone quite well. The only issues is we occaisionally "over-help" now, however I do think we have that resolved. We always are trying to improve our operations to the benefit of the customer. I sincerely appreciate your honest replies. Sometimes our staff can get overzealous about a particular firearm/s, like any other enthusiast. Hopefully our customers in your area see a positive impact regarding selection and service. I highly encourage feedback to the management team there as well.

As always, if there is anyway I can be of personal assitance, feel free to contact me through the most convenient method,

Matt Selders
    Store Manager,
    Wholesale Sports< Vancouver WA

9. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

While an obivious attempt to garner sales and to appease a few unsatisfied potential customers, I doubt you would see this type of response from management at any Wal-Mart, Cabelas, or other large "sporting goods" retailer. Gotta give this guy some credit.:thumbup:

10. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I occasionally go to the 82nd Ave. store. I would say that the one thing that I want more of is inexpensive, bulk "plinking" ammo. I shoot 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 by the case. I'd be willing to bet that Wolf, Tula or even milsurp tins would sell if priced reasonably. I wait for the gun show for that stuff. If someone in town offered it for a reasonable price I would buy it from them. I actually drive from Portland to Lakewood for Surplus Ammo's milsurp AK tins. I can't be the only one in Portland that would buy this. The few in town that offer it want far too much money for it. Kip.

11. Matt Selders

Thanks nwwoodsman! My sole purpose is to help customers get the stuff they need to have a better time outdoors. We are realizing that bulk ammo is a big market in the NW and it is a new venture for us to it. We are learning though! My last shipment of HSM bulk, which was the largest we had ever rec'd, was gone in a a little over a week. This next shipment, which includes more caliber options including 7.62x39, is twice the size. We will keep bringing it in as long as it is what customers need. Now if we could just get some Zombie Max!

Thanks again,

Matt Selders

12. mancat

Thanks for responding. Sorry if I was harsh in my review of your store here in Silverdale, but my experiences have sometimes found me leaving the store angry. I would like to see the store improve its selection and be successful, since it's really the only "big" outdoors store in Kitsap County.

As said by others, if you guys were to stock cheap steel-cased centerfire ammo, you would sell it by the boatload. Many of us shooting AKs, ARs, FALs, and so on are shooting steel-cased these days in many instances. A quality firearm will digest it no differently than brass-cased ammo - manufacturer's warranty is a poor excuse to not stock what customers want.

Would love to see more surplus ammo - both foreign and domestic as well. There is a huge demand for surplus M193/M855 5.56, Yugoslavian 7.62x39, and Soviet 5.45x39, 7.62x54r, etc.

13. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I have seen many manufactures warranty say voided if using certain brands of ammo and steel is one of the major ones.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

14. mancat

Maybe so, but I don't own any of them. It's not a valid excuse to be given by a manager when asked why a store doesn't stock a certain type of ammo, which again almost every major ammo supplier sells.

15. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Vancouver store carries it pretty cheap but I have not seen it in bulk.

But even if they did it would be over priced anyway.

But good luck....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

16. Matt Selders

You are correct, some firearms mfg's will void warranty if "re-man" ammo is used and others say brass only. However, most mfg's will cover any issues discovered through regular use. They err on the safe side when it comes to warranty. Our re-man ammo is from HSM and we have had very good feedback from customers and employees using this. Some guns do get picky when it comes to bulk ammo and steel ammo. We are expecting the HSM any day now. We sell 500 rd 9mm 115gr ball in brass cases for 119.99 in a surplus 7.62 can. Most of our plinking type ammo for pistols starts around 17 for a 50 rd box.

Make sure to bring any price discrepancies to the attention of our staff. We match prices item for item. Sometimes we need to look up major differences but our policy to match the price when the mfg codes are the same as long as we stock it.

Thanks again and let me knwo if there is any way I can be of assitance,
    Matt Selders
    Wholesale Sports
    Store Mgr, Vancouver WA