JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Two things to watch for overall:
  • R0 (aka R-naught) value.
  • Mortality rate.
This article may be a tad over the top, but it does discuss R0.

My wife caught some news out of China thru a Korean You Tube reporter. A wife had gone to the hospital for her husband, she was told he was in the hall. They had bodies, tagged but along each side of the Wide? hall.

WSJ news alert:

The U.S. government is arranging a charter flight Sunday to evacuate its citizens and diplomats from the epidemic-stricken Chinese city of Wuhan to the U.S., a person familiar with the operation said.

The operation comes as the death toll from a newly identified coronavirus that originated in Wuhan climbs above 40 and the number of confirmed infections tops 1,200, with many of the cases in and around the central Chinese city of 11 million people.

"Permission for the American evacuation operation might have hinged on the U.S. government's pledge to its Chinese counterpart that responsibility for the risks of flying out potentially infected people would be borne by the U.S., this person said."

How reassuring.

How would anybody ever know if they had this particular designer-flu?

I've never had a test to find out what sickness I'm currently sporting.

The doctor listens, prescribes some medicine, and says come back in a week if I'm not better. That's a whole lot of epidemic potential.

Will coronavirus kill your IRA? (Well, maybe give it the sniffles?) See paras 14. 16.

2nd emergency hospital planned, domestic and international tour groups banned.

Everyone keeps going on about "wash your hands", "cover your cough", etc. All good advice of course, but if you want to stop the swine flu, bird flu, swine killer virus, this virus, that virus, you will need to shut down the Chinese bio-warfare sites and that ain't gonna happen. As for the few "leaks" and deaths, do you seriously think the Chinese leaders care? They probably planned it to see how well it spreads, what it does, how effective it is and how it mutates in the real world. A few deaths here and there? They got a billion people, what's 40 deaths to them?

I wouldn't order anything directly from china. Knives shipped covered in oil will carry the virus longer than 5 days. In facebook knife groups right now people are asking if it's safe to buy directly from china. They're still buying oiled knives from china. How stupid can you get...

San Francisco will probably get hit the hardest by this because boats from china go to that city first. All passanger planes in china should be grounded and all trade should be halted indefinately. They waited too long.

The virus started well before new years and you can be contagious without having a fever. So those temperature checkers they're using are basically useless.

Last Edited:
I wonder what the economic impact is in China since they have so many cancelled flights and quarantined cities with millions in each.

Does this affect that social credit thingy?

Social Credit System - Wikipedia

The Social Credit System (Chinese: 社会信用体系; pinyin: shèhuì xìnyòng tǐxì) is a national reputation system being developed by the Chinese government.[1][2][3][4] The program initiated regional trials in 2009, before launching a national pilot with eight credit scoring firms in 2014.[5] In 2018, these efforts were centralized under the People's Bank of China with participation from the eight firms.[5] By 2020, it is intended to standardize the assessment of citizens' and businesses' economic and social reputation, or 'Social Credit'.[1][6][7][8][9][10]

The social credit initiative calls for the establishments of unified record system for individuals, businesses and the government to be tracked and evaluated for trustworthiness.[11][12][13][14] The credit system is closely related to China's mass surveillance which uses facial recognition system and big data analysis technology, and the regulatory method is primarily based on blacklisting and whitelisting.[14][15][16][17][18][19][20] In 2019, it is estimated that 200 million monitoring CCTV cameras of the "Skynet"[21][22][23][24] network have been put to use in mainland China, with eight Chinese cities ranked among the world's top ten most monitored cities, while the number of surveillance cameras is expected to reach 626 million by 2020 when the Social Credit System becomes fully effective.[18][19][20][23][24][25]

By 2018, some restrictions had been placed on citizens which state-owned media described as the first step toward creating a nationwide social credit system.[26][27][28][9][29][30] As of November 2019, in addition to dishonest and fraudulent financial behavior, other behavior that some cities have officially listed as negative factors of credit ratings includes playing loud music or eating in rapid transits,[31] violating traffic rules such as jaywalking and red-light violations,[32][33] making reservations at restaurants or hotels but not showing up,[34] failing to correctly sort personal waste,[35][36][37] fraudulently using other people's public transportation ID cards,[38] etc; on the other hand, behavior listed as positive factors of credit ratings includes donating blood, donating to charity, volunteering for community services, and so on.[39][40][41]

As of June 2019, according to the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 26.82 million air tickets as well as 5.96 million high-speed rail tickets have been denied to people who were deemed "untrustworthy (失信)" (on a blacklist), and 4.37 million "untrustworthy" people have chosen to fulfill their duties required by the law.[42][43] In general, it takes 2–5 years to be removed from the blacklist, but early removal is also possible if the blacklisted person has done enough remedies.[44][45] Certain personal information of the blacklisted people is deliberately made accessible to the society and is displayed online as well as at various public venues such as movie theaters and buses,[45][46][47][48] while some cities have also banned children of "untrustworthy" residents from attending private schools and even universities.[49][50][51][52][53] On the other hand, people with high credit ratings may receive rewards such as less waiting time at hospitals and governmental agencies, discounts at hotels, greater likelihood of receiving employment offers and so on.[38][39][40][54]

Supporters of the Credit System claim that the system helps to regulate social behavior, improve the "trustworthiness" which includes paying taxes and bills on time and promote traditional moral values,[55][56][57] while critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy as well as personal dignity, and that the system may be a tool for comprehensive government surveillance and for suppression of dissent from the Communist Party of China.[58][18][59][60][61]

How would anybody ever know if they had this particular designer-flu?

I've never had a test to find out what sickness I'm currently sporting.

The doctor listens, prescribes some medicine, and says come back in a week if I'm not better. That's a whole lot of epidemic potential.

If one did go to there doctors office with influenza like illness, and did get tested.

While there is no current rapid test for this illness widely available, there are rapid tests for influenza, and ones which can differentiate between Flu A & Flu B, as well as RSV (Respiratory syncytial virus).

While I've done zero research into wether an individual could commonly be infected with both, this illness & the common Flu's concurrently, I would find such rather usual. Again, personal opinion only.

Hence, if one is ill with an influenza like illness, gets tested and is positive for Flu. That's what one solely has. AGAIN MY OPINION.

NB: There is also an entire realm of other respiratory viruses which can be tested for, however not as rapid, & rather costly. Results for such other testing normally within about a day, depending upon the physicians association with a properly equipped lab.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top