JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've recently read several articles about needing to be prepared ahead of time in case of a self defense situation. God forbid that ever happen but if it does are there some recommendations about pro 2nd amendment law firms in the PDX area?

I'm going to ask the other guys in the holding cell which one of them has been in the holding cell the most times and who was it that got them out all those times. Then I'll call that laywer.

I had a long conversation with a criminal defense attorney on self defense shootings. The following is what I got from the conversation, so if I am wrong about anything, please feel free to correct.

Being prepared is important, but it doesn't matter how good your attorney is if you admit guilt when the police arrive. The police have a very hard job and I am in no way bashing them. The police are there to try find the truth and they will document anything they hear or see.

So as the attorney told me, when the police quote "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" they mean it. Even if you are the innocent one. What ever you say is documented and will be used by another attorney against you. So to begin with, the attorney advised that after you are involved in a shooting, and the police arrive. The first thing you should tell the police is that you are in shock! By saying you are in shock, anything else you say may not be used against you, but no guarantee.

Second to justify a kill, there must be at least three things identified. Those are: Will, Way, and Fear of life. As an example:
I felt the suspect was willing to kill me, I felt there was no way to escape, and I was in fear of my life.

Third, never admit that you shot the suspect. Instead say that you shot in the general direction of the suspect (even if you group five shots in the size of a dime). By doing this you are stating you didn't identify the suspect as a target you purposely intended to hit.

Lastly, the attorney advised that two things follow every bullet. The first is an attorney and the second is all the money you will make for the rest of your life. Although you may win your self defense case in a federal or state court. You will most likely lose in a lower court like civil court. Because if the suspect is shot and lives he will sue you and if he dies, his family will sue you.

I hope this helps.

I had a long conversation with a criminal defense attorney on self defense shootings. The following is what I got from the conversation, so if I am wrong about anything, please feel free to correct.

Being prepared is important, but it doesn't matter how good your attorney is if you admit guilt when the police arrive. The police have a very hard job and I am in no way bashing them. The police are there to try find the truth and they will document anything they hear or see.

So as the attorney told me, when the police quote "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" they mean it. Even if you are the innocent one. What ever you say is documented and will be used by another attorney against you. So to begin with, the attorney advised that after you are involved in a shooting, and the police arrive. The first thing you should tell the police is that you are in shock! By saying you are in shock, anything else you say may not be used against you, but no guarantee.

Second to justify a kill, there must be at least three things identified. Those are: Will, Way, and Fear of life. As an example:
I felt the suspect was willing to kill me, I felt there was no way to escape, and I was in fear of my life.

Third, never admit that you shot the suspect. Instead say that you shot in the general direction of the suspect (even if you group five shots in the size of a dime). By doing this you are stating you didn't identify the suspect as a target you purposely intended to hit.

Lastly, the attorney advised that two things follow every bullet. The first is an attorney and the second is all the money you will make for the rest of your life. Although you may win your self defense case in a federal or state court. You will most likely lose in a lower court like civil court. Because if the suspect is shot and lives he will sue you and if he dies, his family will sue you.

I hope this helps.

I see one major flaw in your conversation with that attorney. He didn't suggest that one should STFU and don't talk to police beyond identifying himself/herself without a lawyer present.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top