JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone willing to share contact info for the talented trainer that helped fido take obedience to a new level and made homelife better for all?

I have to imagine I am not the only one with a semi talented beast that could use some outside consulting to be a more valuable and trusted resource.

The trainers that came recommended around Forest Grove declined to work with labs, so increasing our search and hoping to get deserving folks in our multi state footprint some kudos and awareness.

No advice on a trainer, but having owned many medium or large dogs:
* Never feed from table. Food is always in bowl.
* Make sit or lay before any treats, food, outdoors.
* Discipline.
* Never let on furniture or in dominant position.

This will turn you into the dog whisperer:

AA5E0DE2-57FD-4221-8DE1-16B99376AF51.jpeg

I would suggest searching for a private trainer. Not cheap, but effective. I had a friend that did this for a living, he would spend up to 8 weeks with the dog breaking them of bad habits. He made pretty good money IIRC.

No advice on a trainer, but having owned many medium or large dogs:
* Never feed from table. Food is always in bowl.
* Make sit or lay before any treats, food, outdoors.
* Discipline.
* Never let on furniture or in dominant position.
My dog was freaking perfect once upon a time. Then once while I was away, my wife started feeding him from the table. Now he expects a seat. Luckily he loves veggies because that's mostly we give him. Other than that he's still about 90% where we want him. Yet he will never take anything unless we give it to him, even if there's a t-bone in front of his nose on the kitchen counter.

I would suggest searching for a private trainer. Not cheap, but effective. I had a friend that did this for a living, he would spend up to 8 weeks with the dog breaking them of bad habits. He made pretty good money IIRC.
Yes, that is what I am looking for. Is he still in the business?

Dog goes to stay in trainer's facility for 8wks... gets pretty good results. Then dog goes home and gets spoiled. Seen it happen too many times. Don't forget training for the owner!!!

Labs are very willing to please... they are just big child tho and sometimes slow learners. It can take up to 2 years to have a fully trained lab. But that would be for a gun dog. Obedience is less. Not sure what level you want, but YOU have to spend a lot of time working with them even after professional training. If you don't have enough time to do that, then you may be entertaining false expectations.

The Dog Whisperer says that owners must be the Alpha... take it to heart. Don't need to be cruel, but be a leader!!! If the rest of the family is not willing to provide consistency, then all is lost.

Labradors are said to need 2x4 training, as in "upside the head just to get their attention". It's kinda funny but untrue. Some labs are stubborn but most aren't, they can just be big goofs. I had a lab that I could put a steak on her nose and she wouldn't touch it til I said OK, but I wasn't working so I spent a LOT OF TIME with her.

Always trained my dogs myself.

Kids and dogs will take a mile if given an inch so consistency is #1.

Labs are a working breed and will need to have that worked into their daily schedule. Fetching a ball, running, walking etc for an hour a day will itch that need and mellow them out some.

A friend of mine had his so conditioned that he would put a small rock on his nose while sitting and the dog would stay still forever. Then he would grab the rock and toss it into the woods. It would sometimes take longer then others but that dog ALWAYS returned with that same rock.

YouTube can be a big help.

I'm not advocating for not using a trainer, I've just found a stronger bond in the end when I do it myself.

This is why I dont have a dog yet

Was a small dog "hater" for most Of my life. Then we got a Lhasa Apso and he has been a GREAT dog.

Easy to travel with, easy to excersise indoors, takes guarding the house seriously, no fur everywhere since they have hair.

My buddy is about 16 so he is a little bit like a roomba these days but other then sight and hearing, he is in very health condition.

Thats gonna be a Lhasa nopeso for me bud. :p I don't do small dogs.

Yea, he was supposed to be the wife's lap dog but he turned out to be a 200lb dog in a 20lb dog body and almost instantly bonded with me. So I put him in the truck and took him with me to work (drove around for a living then) and pretty much anywhere I went.

(On of my big unhappinesses right now is having to leave him at home since my work isn't dog friendly currently)

Had never had a dog under 60# and seriously didn't like little dogs but he changed my mind.

I still hate the yappers though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads