JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The NWFA Forum is a mix of Collectors, Smiths, Dealers, Hunters, Law Enforcement, Recreational Plinkers and Competitive Shooters. So I was curious who is out shooting and how often they are getting out?

Just check in with a quick Range Report.

1) Who did you go with?
2) Where did you go?
3) What kind of targets are you shooting at and at what distance?
4) What Firearms?
5) How many rounds did you fire?
6) Any cool, or not so cool stories.

I took two of my friends out to Canby Rod and Gun club. We shot my friends Kimber .45 compact, my other friend sighted in his Eotech on top of his Bushmaster M4. I shot my Beretta M9, a cap and ball Derringer, and mostly my S&W Military and Police .38 revolver. I also shot my Tokarev TT33 with surplus ammo. My friend who is a Milwaukie cop brought out an old but still in good condition Point Blank kevlar vest that looked to be class 2A. The .45 hollow point didn't penetrate but left a very big indentation. 9mm FMJ penetrated a few layers and lodged in the front panel. The 7.62 X 25 Tokarev rounds went through both front and rear panels of the vest. We kind of looked at each other in amazement. I thought it would go through maybe the first panel but not the second... I also brought out my MSAR STG-556 AUG clone and let the guys fire that for fun. A good time was had by all. Well, maybe not the vest... :)

1) Who did you go with?
My friend and his wife
2) Where did you go?
TCGC
3) What were you shooting at and at what range?
Initially hitting cardboard on stands at the action range in the 5 to 25 yd distance. Then moved onto the 200 yard range and started hitting paper
4) What Firearms?
Springfield XD 9
Savage 12 Varminter
Colt LE6920
100 rounds of 9mm
20 rounds through the savage and 20 through the cold
Not unless you count slicing my thumb open on one of the target stands. It had a piece of bullet casing lodged into the wood and as I picked the stand up, it slipped a little and gashed me!

We were the only folks on the long range at 5pm and it was a little breezy. Still managed to get the savage shooting within a bullets length from the bulls eyes repeatedly....the AR...with FMJ's....at 200 yards, lets just say that I'm not going to win any awards at that distance :)

I went to Clark Rifles.

50rds .308 DSA FAL.
20rds .308 bolt action brush gun.
100rds 9mm Beretta 92.

Good temperature. No crowds, got in, shot, got out.
Hit my targets, good groups from the bolt action at 100yds, satisfied with the guns and my performance.

I shot a local Pin shoot this morning at the Skamania County Range.

Held my own in the .22 cal. Pistol, but one of the ladies was on fire and ran at least 4 fast, flawless, final strings without a miss FTW.

9MM I sucked, really sucked :s0054:

In the .40+ cal. bracket I shot my 1911 for the Money and finished 2nd by about .5 seconds.

Burned mostly .45 ACP (140 rounds) since I lasted longer in the brackets.

Overall great weather + good shooting = perfect morning.

Not much better than the smell of fresh coffee and burning gun powder :)

1) Who did you go with?
2) Where did you go?
4) What Firearms?

1) Went by myself
2) Champion Arms in Kent
3) Paper targets at 8 yds
4) Dreaded S&W 9mm Sigma
5) 100
6) I'd had the slide apart & was happy it still fired

Shot the Northwest Revolver Championship (ICORE)
at Albany Rifle and Pistol
31 shooters from Oregon and Washington
S&W 625
250 or so rounds

OOh!
Me!

1) 3 friends - one is a member here.
2) Salmonberry road gravel pit
3) Home-made target stand with printed targets. Pistols between 5 and 10 yards, rifles 50 to 70 yards
4) AR-15, AK47, KelTec Sub-2000, Glock 21, Colt 1911, Mosin Nagant 91/30, CZ75 Transitional, KelTec P3AT, Henry Lever .22, FIE .22LR revolver, Browning 1922 (.380), Walther PPK/S, A stainless steel Luger, 2x Mossberg 500
5) Over 1000, between all of those. Didn't really count - had multiple people bring both ammo and guns - made a final count difficult.
6) Finally got the Mosin sighted in close enough to hit at clay at 70 yards. This is a big improvement. It was shooting about... 18" left at 100 yards. That was a problem.
Got hit by shrapnel from a ricochet. No damage - just stuck some metal shavings to my shirt. Mental note - move target stand to less rocky area.

Went to the quarry at browns to watch them shoot the machine guns. Pretty cool. Took my buddy who's on leave from afganiland and we broke in his new DPMS AR15.. And the 37mm flare launcher attached to it 8). An expensive toy, but pretty cool. We also took a couple of friends who are a little anti-gun but we got them going on the .22's and hopefully planted a seed there :)
Got to shoot my cetme alongside a full-auto g3, that was a lot of noise. I usually don't like shooting with a bunch of strangers, but everyone up there today was pretty cool. Great watching people fire full auto for the first time too.

1) My wife and two of her younger brothers.

2) Salmonberry Rd, gravel pit.

3) We shot from fifteen feet to a hundred yards depending on the weapon and person. I setup some wood and some coroplast for paper targets, and setup empty food cans with soda cans nested inside. I also brought a nearly empty personal keg of heineken, that was a lot of fun to shoot. Some tapioca pudding cups brought for lunch made it out there too with some nice results. I tried my hand at thrown clays for the first time with a shotgun. Turns out that I need some practice. :)

4) I brought my 10/22, MKII, S&W .38, Mini-30, SKS and Rem 870 28".

5) Altogether probably 700 rounds, with nearly a brick's worth of .22 included.

6) Cool story? Nobody else was there. I'm nervous shooting around others I just randomly meet shooting out in the sticks, and my wife refuses to shoot in those situations. A semi-cool story; I introduced her brothers to bump-firing. Sorry about the pun. :p

An uncool story: The first pit is filled with trash and junk again, but we had too many people and too much gear in the car to stop and pick up even more trash than we gathered at the pit.

1) Who did you go with?

My friend who is a Correctional Officer and his 10 year old son

2) Where did you go?

A private shooting range on the edge of town in the Tri-Cities

Shot up an old laptop, paper targets, water bottles with food coloring

4) What Firearms?

Sig 229, Glock 20, Kimber CDP Pro, Ruger Bearcat 22LR, Colt 6940, Ruger 10/22

About 600 rounds before we were stopped

The shooting area of this private range has large hay bales in the shape of a horseshoe, just beside a road. My buddy and kid were shooting at the time, and I had just pulled out my Colt 6940, wearing a loaded tactical vest and Glock 20 as my sidearm. As I came around my truck I noticed a police officer just came walking around the hay bails (never saw his car, lights or siren because he hid it behind the hay).

With my AR15 in hand he said, "Could you please put that down." I almost laughed out loud because he was in such a dangerous position without backup or a partner, which is incredibly stupid when you're flanking someone quietly while they are shooting. Of course I complied, unloading it and putting the gun back on the truck and kept my hands where he could see them. My buddy stopped shooting and he and his boy came over.

The officer said we were shooting on private property and in the city limits. We called ahead to the owner just a couple hours before we came out shooting to get permission, as we have been shooting there for over 15 years, but we didn't know it was within the city limits. Apparently the city limits had changed in that time and the new limits were...... ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET!

Another officer arrived at this point and said Hi to my friend, they used to work together at the jail. Eventually Good Cop convinced Bad Cop not to write us up because it was a pre-existing range and that we weren't doing anything malicious. So we got out of a misdemeanor and just had to pack up and go.

Hit the Skamainia County Range tonight to shoot my G26 and try to figure out what my problem was shooting Pins with it on Saturday. Yes I know shooting Pins with a G26 is probably the first issue but its a local shoot and not a real big deal. The goal is to just get more shooting time in under duress. It turns out that must have been my issue. Tonight 25 pins without a miss and only 2 misses on the next 25 :huh: Put another 50 rounds into some paper and then got on the AK for 160 quick rounds between 50 & 100 yards. Standing, kneeling, and 60 rounds of painful prone. Pretty much just laying on shot-rock. Finished up shooting 100 rounds through my out dated, washed up, fanboy 1911 :s0114: Or so I've been told.

Best part is I was the only one at the Range and I picked up a mess of someone's shiny once fired brass :s0155:

me and my wife went to estacada u past the shooting sign at silver fox. we were just plinking at cans and what not about 50 to a hundred yards away. we shot my ak74 and my wife's new henry lever action 22. fired about 800 rounds out of both. cool story....my wife is deadly with her gun thankfully its a .22 also got to do tac runs with ak74 so much fun

Who/when: my wife, my younger brother, and I went shooting last Saturday.

Where: up on the hills near Lyons, OR. We took the old sedan on the gravel roads until we found someone well-worn shooting spot (see story below).

Shot at: we shot at papers target which we brought. There were several stumps and carpeted stands already set up. These stands looked like cat-scratching posts, but maybe it's just shooting gear I've never seen before. They were set at about 30-35 yards (we're newbies). :)

Firearms used: two Savage 93R17 rifles (.17 caliber) and a Ruger 10/22 rifle (.22 caliber).

How many rounds: about 100 rounds of 17 HMR and about 100 of the 22LR. We were there for an hour or so.

Story: This place was a mess. Even after 20 minutes there, I was still freshly appalled by the magnitude of trash there. Numerous times, I glanced down at what I thought was a pile of pine needles or something -- but was actually dozens of 22 casings. Far worse, however, were the hundreds of shotgun cartridges littering the ground (see photo). The whole far end of the range, and much of the middle, was covered just as heavily as seen in the picture. And let's not forget the busted glass, vacuums, radios, etc.

My brother's first response was, "ok, where's the rake?" He later taped up a box and a bucket (both were laying amongst the trash), and filled it with a few hundred shotgun cartridges. We didn't really have room in the car to pack it out, but we did leave with about 4x more brass than we shot. I recognize that it's nearly impossible to pick up everything -- but come on.

It hasn't taken me long to come up with a new rule: pack out more than you brought in. Thank you to all like-minded shooters whose mess I will never see! :s0155:

</rant>

Shotgun Mess.jpg

Went into the clear cut near my house. there is a box canyon which creates a very safe backstop on 3 sides, and muffles noise too.
Shot my converted Saiga AK, practicing shooting and moving, underarm assault, moving over uneven ground while shooting, and shooting behind cover.
My traditional enemy, a large stump, is beginning to show signs of defeat.

1) Who did you go with?
I was alone. (like usual)
2) Where did you go?
To my family's place east of Estacada (incEstacada)
3) What kind of targets are you shooting at and at what distance?
I'm cheap. Scanned and printed copies of a Score Keeper target with a bright pink, stick on dot added to the center. 100 and 150 yards.
4) What Firearms? (and load)
Ruger Stainless 77 MKII 30-06, bead blasted finish, Hogue stock, Leupold VXII 3-9x40, lightened trigger spring. Nosler Ballistic tip 180 gr over 59.5 gr of Reloader 22 in a Remington case.
Rounds #83-89. (7) Six at 100, one at 150 just to verify sighting. Second set of 3 shots @ 100 was a 3/4" group
This is a gun I bought on sale at Bi-Mart earlier this year that was 10+ years old but brand new. ($369!) The story goes that it was a court ordered repossession from a guy that passed the background check, but was not allowed to have a firearm. Even if that's not the case, the gun was 10+ years old and still new in the box. It was one of the bright stainless guns in the "boat paddle" stock. My intention when I bought it was to turn it into my all weather/everywhere hunting tool without spending and arm and a leg.
The used scope was a gun show purchase ($200) The gun came without rings, but I bought Target Grey rings on green tag sale at Bi-Mart, too. I've always hated the "boat paddle" stock, so I switched it out for an E-bay purchased Hogue pillar bedded one. The trigger spring was also an E-bay purchase. I've done all of the work myself and am very happy with the final result. If all goes according to plan, shot #90 will be a Blacktail buck. Then it's time to check sight in with the same load but pushing a Partition 180 gr for elk.
After shooting I stopped in town for a Romeo E Julietta cigar to enjoy on the drive home.
guns094.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR