Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Who wants to remember this time last year..?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by FullCaliberII, Dec 24, 2013.

1. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

I noticed some posts from 12-20-2012, discussing the rush on anything deemed "assault rifle, high capacity" etc. that I posted on...
    So here we are, a year later. Guns are plentiful, ammo is flush (well, .22LR is still struggling in some places), and you can find PMAGS by the dozen for $11/each.
    Last year, watching the classifieds, I was shocked and amused. Shocked over the price increase on a Colt AR- people were literally buying them at Walmart for $1,200 Tuesday and posting them here for $2,200 Wednesday... and completing deals Thursday! I was amused because I felt (luckily I was right) that these guns would never be worth the $2,200 paid for them. Today, they sure arent. PMAGS are not worth $50 each either.
    Overall I think most of the members here were able to avoid the madness by being prepared before the AWB talk- they owned rifles, magazines, and have enough ammo sitting around to stage a strong offensive against a zombie horde.

I think one lesson from last years madness is to be prepared; you decide for what and how to do that. If last year you thought pulling $2,500 out of your savings account for a rifle, magazines, and precious ammo, then I hope you prepared for the immediate loss in value. If last year you avoided the rifle classifieds and scored a sweat deal on a non-tactical low-capacity Ruger revolver that no one else was looking at... well, you were prepared!
    Merry Christmas!

2. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I remember that time clearly. I focused purchasing bolt actions and was able to score new Bulgarian steel AK mags for less than 20 a piece. It was hard but i was able to find deals here and there that kept me well supplied. I laughed my *** off at the people selling and buying AR's at insane prices.

It sort of sucked for me since i was actually interested in buying an AR just before the SHTF but that money went towards more ammo the hunting rifle and mags. I recently purchased a lower and in the process of checking out what upper i want for it.

3. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yep I picked up all the parts just in time to build my 308 AR:thumbup:

Also sold a AR for more than I paid for it to help off set the build:laugh:

Parts were out of this world prices and Pmags well you remember;) Glad it has kind of came back to normal.

4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

I had only been in the gun world for a little over a month when the carziness started, and I wanted an AR, so I was in a panic! But even then, I was able to find a complete CMMG lower for $300 and backordered a complete upper witha free float handguard and 16" match grade SS bull barrel for $470, so een buying all the parts during the panic, I was able to get my AR for under $800, and it's got some quality parts too. Got a bunch of magazines (stainless, not PMAG) in the midst of it all for about $15 each too. Ammo was the hardest to find for a good price though. But considering the backorered upper took so long to get (place the order in January, received the upper in October), I had plenty of time to find it. But while waiting, I picked up stuff I could find, like a shotgun, a .17HMR, a couple .22LR rifles, stuff like that. Bought my first gun the day after Obama got reelected (had a feeling I should get one while I could), and a year later I had a safe with 3 pistols, 5 rifles and 1 shotgun in it, and a decent pile of ammo for each of them. It was an expensive year, but a good one!

5. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

My only regret is I didn't cash in on the stupid and sell off some PMags and ARs I don't care for.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The night before the Sandy Hook shooting, I was in Hillsboro picking 10 new Gen-2 PMags for $12.00 each.
    The guy was moving to Alaska and he practically begged me to buy all that he had left for $10.00 each. He had 110 more.
    I asked myself, was it worth the hassle to spend $1,100.00 cash right before Christmas, just to try and offload 100 of them for a $2.00 profit.
    "No thanks" I told him, not worth the effort.

7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I remember this time last year. I also remember going to Clackamas Town Center the day it reopened. It was pretty eerie. Yeah, I was "packing", cuz that's normal.

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oops! Oh well...

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I amassed so much SHTF ammo in multiple calibers (5.56, 7.62 NATO/Russian, 9mm, .45ACP, .22LR, 30-30, 12ga, etc.) in the years prior to all the panic that it's been about 2 years since I bought any, and still haven't scratched the surface of my stash... with the exception of last year by managing to buy a "boat load" of Hornady A-Max and Remington Cor-Lokt .308 for hunting, and I imagine I still have AT LEAST a 5-6 years supply of that now.

During the panic and all the price gouging, I could have sold off 75% of my ammo, and almost all of my gun collection (keeping "one each" for myself) and pay off a huge chunk on my house with what people were charging (and paying)... If that's the way I rolled, anyway.

Glad I was prepared, and I made note of the profiteers (here and retailers).

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Actually I did OK last year. I had already gotten an AR, an AK-74, a Kimber and several thousand rds of 5.45X39, .45 in both hardball and Golden Saber carry ammo. I sold the AK for several $100 more than I paid. Then I laid low till it blew over, then bought a SIG 556R and 2000 rds of 7.62X39 all for a relatively decent price. Still have the 5.45X39 but prices are still higher than I paid.

11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I was OK by 2009 bought some bad 308 @ .35 otherwise I did not panic

12. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

"Remembering this time last year"....Yep I do, not for the reasons mentioned though. Powder and primers and projectiles were GONE! Gone were the days of going to Bi Mart and looking at the line-up of powder for me to look into trying a different one. It's still like that for the handgun re-loader. I'm relatively brand new to the habit (2 years), feel like I missed out.

13. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The problem is panic buying, and or buying when the price is high.

Econ 101: Buy low, sell high, not the other way around.

But humans are irrational animals, we may be smart, but we are not wise; we react to sudden situations with panic.

Personally I just stopped going to gun shows until the panic wore off. Ammo is still overpriced IMO, especially rimfire. I will wait until the prices drop some more - I am not hurry, I have enough of most of what I want.

14. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Good post, OP.

The upside is that AR prices have really crashed during December now inventories are back up. I've been watching slickguns.com and some of the deals are quite sweet. PMAG's are going for a song as well! Now is a great time to buy.

15. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I try to always be mindful of how close we are to "the next one."

The whole situation in the US is like a deadfall snare, with the precarious rock ready to fall and kick off the whole thing all over again. There is virtually no guarantee it won't happen tomorrow or next week or a month or year from now.

All it would take is for another mentally ill teen or twenty-something misfit (which it seems like most of these guys are) to walk into another school and start massacring kids, and the S would HTF like we can't possibly imagine.

For everybody's sake, most of all the innocent people trying to have a life and get an education, I hope every day it doesn't happen. I think it's wise to not get too smug-feeling, like "this can never happen again" or "we're sure out of those woods forever."

The time it takes to transition to "this is almost back to normal" to one year ago-except worse- is a few minutes, like December 14 going to the 15th, and DiFi and that idiot Carolyn McCarthy and the panic buyers will pop out like Pirates at Disneyland.

I'm glad it's returning to normal, and am sorry I don't have The Big Easy Answer to how to stop misguided young people killing for revenge or fun; wish I did.

I guess the bottom line is, for us, "one year ago" is more than ever, one more school shooting away, whether in CT or Colorado or Oregon.

16. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

Doc, I agree. Sadly, those cheering for some sort of ban on specific firearms and/or magazines are still around and they will seize upon the next public crime to push their agenda. "Gun ban" talk with rise again and the rush will be on.
    Hopefully even those of us who normally stock a few hundred (er thousand..) rounds of ammo, have the guns we want, and the appropriate magazines to feed them have taken notice of this mess. Increasing your monthly purchase of ammo is a great plan so when the next uproar begins, you can cool your feet and avoid it, again.

17. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

it's no longer
    Crime Control
    Gun Ban
    Registration
    It's outright Confiscation, 1st the citizens, then the sheriffs, then the Nat Guard
    stay frosty

18. Misternt

Misternt Salem Area Active Member

Sure was crazy people paying $1800+ for DPMS and other brand AR's. Recently I've seen Colt's sell for as cheap as $900 shipped!

People were spending $1 per 223 round. Now we're around .36-.40 for decent brass cased stuff.