JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also you did notice where this brass is RIGHT? Chaparral, NM

So figure in your transportation costs for 1659 miles one way. Figuring Portland as this end of the adventure. If you take your HD pickup and trailer figure on about $1200.00 for fuel I assume with that load on the way back you'll average 10mpg. Remember its on the other side of the Rocky Mountians and unless you plan on going the Southern route your going to be climbing them somewhere.

Your pretty good if you can drive more then 800 miles in a day (I drive for a living and 800 is a good day for me) so your looking at at least one night down and one night there and one night back so another $200.00 for motels add 25 bucks a day for food, drink and what not per day another $125.00

And your brass costs you $1525.00 BEFORE YOU PLACE A BID

So add at least $3k to get it up this way
Then you need a sweat shop to prep the brass.

Hey send a concrete truck down to get it and buy the time he gets back it will be all polished up!

And your brass costs you $1525.00 BEFORE YOU PLACE A BID

I doubt that I'd haul it myself. I'd hit the local freight brokers and get it hauled by a "gypo trucker" that's looking for a back-haul.

Look at the bright side. You could end up with about 350,000 pieces of brass, some of which might actually be usable. That is if you want a lot of cases that hold less powder than it's commercial "cousin". Be prepared to do a lot of HD sizing as it's probably all Machine Gun brass.

The idea of polishing brass in a harbor freight concrete mixer, sorting brass for months and then reloading every night for at least a couple years still brings a smile to my face.

Likely machine gun brass and that can lose some of it's usefulness and cuts the life down some

No one is going to haul that with a pickup truck, I don't think even with an F650

If you guys want to do a group buy and hire an empty truck headed this way .. :s0112:

I doubt that I'd haul it myself. I'd hit the local freight brokers and get it hauled by a "gypo trucker" that's looking for a back-haul.

Look at the bright side. You could end up with about 350,000 pieces of brass, some of which might actually be usable. That is if you want a lot of cases that hold less powder than it's commercial "cousin". Be prepared to do a lot of HD sizing as it's probably all Machine Gun brass.

1659 miles was a straight shot Portland to Chaparral, NM Your not going to find a trucker doing that route. But in any case lets say you do manage to find a flat bed thats going to be light coming your direction. At 6MPG and 4.25 a gallon for Diesel the truckers fuel costs will be. $1200.00 Now if you can find a truck to haul your brass for the cost of fuel your doing pretty good. Cause they will all want to make a profit. Because if they are haulign your brass their broker isn't finding them some other load that will pay more.

1659 miles was a straight shot Portland to Chaparral, NM Your not going to find a trucker doing that route. But in any case lets say you do manage to find a flat bed thats going to be light coming your direction. At 6MPG and 4.25 a gallon for Diesel the truckers fuel costs will be. $1200.00 Now if you can find a truck to haul your brass for the cost of fuel your doing pretty good. Cause they will all want to make a profit. Because if they are haulign your brass their broker isn't finding them some other load that will pay more.

I've had plenty of experience with brokers. A load like this would only be a fraction of what would fit on the truck. As for it being remote, hardly. Right off I-10. This partial load would fit nicely on any truck passing through on it's way to LA or on up to Denver. then on to Seattle. Just don't be in a hurry for it.

For the real enterprising, just rent a one-way U-Haul from Las Cruces (with car dolly). Go pick up the brass, do a quick sort, and sell the "crap" off to a local scrap dealer. That should cover transportation in itself. Of course one would really want all this "NATO" brass along with it's reduced capacity. Maybe someone who owns a couple of NFA registered M-60's down in that area might be interested. Reload all year so he could shoot for a day or so at Knob Creek or one of the other Full Auto Shoots:):)

I've had plenty of experience with brokers. A load like this would only be a fraction of what would fit on the truck. As for it being remote, hardly. Right off I-10. This partial load would fit nicely on any truck passing through on it's way to LA or on up to Denver. then on to Seattle. Just don't be in a hurry for it.

For the real enterprising, just rent a one-way U-Haul from Las Cruces (with car dolly). Go pick up the brass, do a quick sort, and sell the "crap" off to a local scrap dealer. That should cover transportation in itself. Of course one would really want all this "NATO" brass along with it's reduced capacity. Maybe someone who owns a couple of NFA registered M-60's down in that area might be interested. Reload all year so he could shoot for a day or so at Knob Creek or one of the other Full Auto Shoots:):)

I respect your reloading opinion so I hope that your comments about NATO brass and reduced capacity are "tongue in cheek." My most accurate .223 load is housed in a Lake City '10 nato brass. Yes I imagine that brass is rather beat up and that will effect accuracy but there should be some decent stuff that would make for good reloading.

14,000lbs of brass has a scrap value of $26,600 last time I checked the prices

For the real enterprising, just rent a one-way U-Haul from Las Cruces (with car dolly). Go pick up the brass, do a quick sort, and sell the "crap" off to a local scrap dealer. That should cover transportation in itself. Of course one would really want all this "NATO" brass along with it's reduced capacity. Maybe someone who owns a couple of NFA registered M-60's down in that area might be interested. Reload all year so he could shoot for a day or so at Knob Creek or one of the other Full Auto

Shoots:):)

I have never seen a open top U haul truck bigger then their pickup. but lets say you figure out a way to load it into the back of a U Haul truck in some sort of boxes (they will not have a forklift to help you. Rental for their truck that can haul 1/2 the weight of the brass (the largest U haul truck has a useful load of 7500lbs

Lets see one way truck rental (for half the brass) = $1173.00 + tow dolly at $131.00 + gas to Chaparral NM lets say your car gets 30 mpg and gas is only $3.50 a gallon Thats $193.55 plus the fuel for a 26' fully overloaded U haul truck towing a car on a dolly. Lets say 7MPG (they rate the truck alone at 9mpg and don't for get the ROCKY MOUNTAINS) Thats a another $830.00

--------
2327.00 Before you place your bid and you still have half of it to remove within 10 days And they most likely won't let you only take half at one time.

You truck passing through will have to have the papers in hand for picking up the brass and this magical back load open top truck will have to be there within the 10 day pick window. And Hwy 10 goes to LA not Portland. So you would need a truck in the El Paso TX area headed back empty to Portland. And remember OPEN TOP TOP LOAD.

OH and I am a Truck Driver Been one for the last 13 years.

Math hurts sometimes

But sometimes it can be profitable if you do ALL the math. For example, 350,000 pieces of brass selling for anywhere in the range of $0.10 to .$0.17 per piece (depending on amount of clean/process) can yield $35,000 to almost $60,000 of revenue. Subtract a "buck a pound" and whatever you want for freight and processing, there's still money to be made if someone wants to. Even at local scrap prices one can sell it HERE for over $20,000 and just keep the good pieces for themselves.

It all depends on whether one wants to do the work.

It's all moot anyway because it will either go to the smelter or Brass outlets like Cheyenne Brass. Funny how THEY think it's profitable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top