JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

One or Two

• One Eye

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • Two Eyes

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • I shoot both ways

Votes: 68 36.8%

• Total voters
Depends. For slow fire 25 yard handgun targets, I do one eye closed. For most stress training situations, I use both eyes. Peripherals are important, especially in hunting. You might be aiming at one buck, then catch a glimpse of a bigger buck to the left in your peripheral vision :)

Another good practice is training firing with one hand, and trying to reload with only one hand. Maybe you have lost the use of your arm in an attack, and need to operate your handgun. Can you? I find its good to practice a variety of different ways because unfortunately, no situation is going to be optimal range conditions. Just be safe, use common sense and good gun safety when doing oddball exercises.

A bit of an old thread, but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone else suffer double vision with both eyes open? I do to the point where I cant stand it...does that go away eventually?

A bit of an old thread, but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone else suffer double vision with both eyes open? I do to the point where I cant stand it...does that go away eventually?

I have always struggled to see the sights while my eyes "argue" over which one is dominant, so I had to close one eye. After thirty years of shooting I discovered that I was cross-eyed dominant (shoot with left hand but see to aim with the right eye.) When I started aiming with my opposite eye everything settled down and I can now shoot with both eyes open.

Try shooting with your "wrong" eye?......................elsullo ;)

If you use a scope with higher end magnification, or shoot running game,
both eyes open will give ya hits. One eye will make you want to throw
the scope away. You limit surounding vision or side by the use of one eye with whatever you use, including a pistol. Point of impact is also not likely
to change. By using both eyes, it's kind of a partnership between dominate and non dominate eyes that I find important should you shoot a handgun
with dominate and non dominate hands. Once center front with the sights, impact is in the same area:confused::s0131:

I do, just can't seem to aim right with both eyes open..

I voted "both eyes" because I am working on making it my "default mode". Until recently I shot with one eye closed. A similar thread on THR "opened my eyes" (sorry) to the advantages of open-eye shooting. I couldn't do it when I first tried - and a THR poster gave me a tip that made it work for me.

And now I'll tell you - and I think you'll be amazed when you "get" it:

If you normally shoot right-handed and right-eyed, look down the barrel with both eyes open. Now pivot your head 20-30 degrees to the left so that only your right eye is looking down the barrel. Voila!

This technique can be modified for right-hand, left-eye...left-hand, left-eye...etc. Just be sure to pivot your head in the direction that puts your "aiming eye" over the barrel.

You will still be aiming with one eye only - but the other eye is open to process peripheral input, as well as improve your depth perception.

I have always struggled to see the sights while my eyes "argue" over which one is dominant, so I had to close one eye. After thirty years of shooting I discovered that I was cross-eyed dominant (shoot with left hand but see to aim with the right eye.) When I started aiming with my opposite eye everything settled down and I can now shoot with both eyes open.

Try shooting with your "wrong" eye?......................elsullo ;)

I'm going to the range on Wednesday and will give it a shot. You get full credit if it works. You also get full credit if I hit the target in the next lane. ;)

Will let you know.

It wasn't for handguns, but rifles. I think the same applies with both as
to the importance of shooting with both eyes open was in this month's
Guns Magazine. Shooting with either hand, it doesn't make a difference
which eye is dominate, as with both open the pair compensates into a
single sight picture with the point of impact the same. A quick test of
dominate eye is to point your thumb at an object and close one eye. If you close one eye and your thumb remains pointed at the object it is the dominate eye. However, if you close that eye and your finger moves, that be your non dominate eye.

I just figured out last week that I am Cross-eye dominant, as in I hold the gun in my right hand but close my right eye and look though the left. I am going to work on using BEO. I don't have a problem with a pistol, but shooting a rifle with my left eye, right handed is damn near imposable.

You might have heard this before, if not, it'll be a cheap experiment. Try shooting left handed, and concentrate on the fundamentals. Focus, breath, breath, focus, breathe all the way out, focus, and squeeze. When concentrating on the fundamentals, quite a few folks (in my limited experience) shoot better with the off hand than with dominate. As it was explained to me, it's more a matter of concentration than anything else. After time, it can become almost comfortable. I now don't even think twice about shooting off hand. It's kinda like driving a Miata, a little uncomfortable at first, but with practice, it's almost enjoyable.

I just figured out last week that I am Cross-eye dominant, as in I hold the gun in my right hand but close my right eye and look though the left. I am going to work on using BEO. I don't have a problem with a pistol, but shooting a rifle with my left eye, right handed is damn near imposable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top