Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Who shoots pistol with one eye closed?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by sweetbeard, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

I do, just can't seem to aim right with both eyes open..

2. Rapid1

Rapid1 Eugene Member

depends on how precise I need to be. different circumstances between a varmint at 50yds and a bad guy at 7yds. I try to practice both ways. to me, it's the difference between aiming and pointing, if that makes sense.

3. Aristotle13

Aristotle13 Kent, WA Member

I will for very long shots, but I usually always shoot both eyes open.

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

for accuracy with one, point and shoot both

5. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Two eyes, I am still working on making my self do it all the time, I like it better.

6. Margana

Margana Portland, Oregon Member

For defensive shooting, both eyes open is the manual of arms....Bull's eye shooting, especially out 25 years, it's the (dominate) eye open....

7. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Started with just my dominant eye open; then I finally sucked it up and went with the more tactical "two eyes" approach. I didn't like it at first, but eventually it became a habit. Now I prefer it in most situations. It takes some getting used to, but you DO get used to it.

8. SteveZ

SteveZ Lake Stevens, WA Member

I shot competitively for years using the one eye approach....then one day I decided...I'm going to learn how to shoot with both eyes open (BEO). I knew at first that my scores were going to suck but eventually the switch would pay off (shooting BEO allows you to have a wider depth of field and I also believe results in more accurate shooting).

It took a while to learn this technique and I put in a LOT of dryfire time trying to reinforce it. Eventually my brain figured it all out. Depending on the difficulty of the shot, sometimes my brain will reduce or close the weak eye entirely....the rest of the time its open. This is the key to "seeing what you need to see" .... your mind takes care of it for you and you don't need to consciously thing "ok...I better close my weak eye for this one"....it just happens automatically.

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Both eyes open

10. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Both eyes open also.

11. mobboss

mobboss Salem, OR. Member

I am a little cross eyed when I try both open I don't see how that can be safe in a gunfight :paranoid:

12. s_ribs

s_ribs Tigard, OR Member

Sweetbeard, I'm with ya. I'm working on it, but it's challenging for me to see the sight properly. Oddly enough, I've always shot my bow with both eyes open and never had an issue (short or long range).

My guess is that it's harder with pistols than with rifles or bows because of the location of the rear sight. With the pistol, it's centered between yours eyes. With rifle or bows, it's oriented towards your dominant eye and much closer to it as well.

Wichaca, any tips or pointers here?

13. BigDaddyP

BigDaddyP Longview, WA Member

Both eyes open, focusing on my front sight. :thumbup:

14. Aristotle13

I think a lot of those that have trouble with BEO (both eye's open) could be attributed to your stance and presentation. What I see a lot of non competitive shooters do is adopt a Weaver stance. Most every new shooter I take to the range naturally assume the weaver stance.

I shoot with an isosceles stance with a more neutral pistol index centered of my body, forward thumbs and canted wrist. Hips, head and shoulders square with my target focus. With my head more square with the target, BEO is much more natural and comfortable.

Here's a video of my stance and presentation. It's a video of my reload dry fire practice but it best illustrates my grip, posture and stance that allows me to shoot both eye's open more easily and effectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-am0OHbAA8

15. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Lake oswego New Member

anyone who was taught correctly shoots with one eye closed unless you just like to spray lead, in that case leave the shooting to real men....:)

16. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

Two eyes If you switch off and shoot weak hand/strong hand, definate
    advantage in speed and accuracy. You never know if/when you might
    need to use a weak hand shoot. Much easier with a handgun than a
    long arm for me, with only a slight difference in weak/dominate with a
    handgun as with both eyes open it kind of evens out dominate/weak eye
    problems also.:confused:

17. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

hm. I've always done it with both eyes open.

18. Aristotle13

Every highly notable instructor I've ever heard of teach BEO, and some of the best shooters in the world shoot pistols both eye's open. Instructors like Matt Burkett, Phil Strader and Todd Jarrett.

Someone should tell Todd Jarrett, Mike Seeklander, Phil Stradr and Rob Leatham to quit spraying lead downrange. They have no business teaching this to law enforcement and military.

19. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I used to have trouble shooting with both eyes, never being able to select the proper image quickly. I thought it was because I am very slightly "wall-eyed", especially when fatigued, kind of like John F. Kennedy.

Well, after decades of shooting left-handed and left-eyed, I finally discovered I am right-eye-dominant! Now that I can trust my right eye to do its job I can easily find the sights and shoot with both eyes open.

An old dog learned a new trick!........................elsullo :p

20. kapnkrunch

kapnkrunch vantucky New Member

IM one of those cross eye dominant shooters right hand left eye with BEO all my shots go way to the left so I normally just use one eye