JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about picking one up to add to my commie gun collection, after reading about the new Ruger 762, and since they are less $$ than an AR of similar quality and reliability, I'm thinking it's a good first "military style" rifle. Any input you have on the do's and dont's, why or why not, would be appreciated. Would you build one? buy one from a dealer? private party order online? I'm kind of partial to the original furniture too.

Thanks

Fast Eddie

Get a Waffen Werks 74 from Classic Arms.. cheaper to shoot... lower recoil, chrome bore. Just find a local FFL to do the transfer.. mine does long guns for $20

I wouldn't buy one from an FFL around almost anywhere.. The prices are nearly more than if you purchased it online, had it shipped to an FFL and did your BG.

Ultimately, you'll save money by purchasing privately and encourage the tradition and right of a private firearms sale.

With AKs you really cant go wrong. However Id stick to 7.62 or 5.45..
Every 5.56 AK Ive had issues with mags not feeding right OR just the overall lack of decent or affordable 5.56 ak mags. (No promag or tapco)

From there pick your flavor.
Honestly the best bang for your buck is the yugo m70s, they are coming in waves into the US (parts wise) and are worth every penny despite not having a chrome lined bore.. But that isnt a big deal at all.

.. Though, Arsenal is by far the closest to a traditional Russian military rifle.

I'm leaning toward the Yugo 7.62x39, I'm not intent on making it a tacticool model, I actually like the original furniture. I just want to glean any info I can before I make the leap.

I wouldn't buy one from an FFL around almost anywhere.. The prices are nearly more than if you purchased it online, had it shipped to an FFL and did your BG.

Ultimately, you'll save money by purchasing privately and encourage the tradition and right of a private firearms sale.

Classic firearms has AK 74's for 599. Only extras would be transfer and the gas you spent to pick it up.

J&g sales, classic firearms, and centerfire systems all have good prices. Yugo is a good build for the money. Century arms builds are generally to be avoided unless you can check it out ahead of time.

currently the Npap and Opap are getting decent reviews

the difernece being one has teh buldged trunion and one does not,

Yugo Zastava NPAP AK Style Rifle, 7.62x39, with Wood Stock.
CAI/Zastava O-PAP '47 Variant Review - The AK Files Forums

The N-PAP you linked to is not a Zastava import, it's a Century parts kit build.
edit: I took a closer look and the receiver does have import marks - I'm surprised by that, as I didn't think Zastava was exporting the lighter AKM receiver PAP models. I guess they are.

The best deals right now are the Zastava O-PAPs that are new imports directly from Serbia.

The only thing I would note is that if you're a first-time AK buyer, you might be put off by the heavier weight of the O-PAP M70 rifles. They are about 8lbs unloaded, quite a bit heavier than a standard stamped AKM such as a WASR or Saiga 7.62x39.

However that also makes them extremely durable, and the O-PAP rifles have added benefit of a heavier profile barrel, which though is not chrome-lined is still cold hammer-forged, and as such is still a step up even from a chrome-lined US-made AK barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top