JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After someone at the range came up and asked me if he could have my leftover 30-06 cases, I realized 2 things:

1. Casings have value

2. I might enjoy reloading.

So I have 2 questions for you:

1. How much do you typically pay for 30-06 casings (or whatever cases you use).

2. Is it worth it to reload, or is it better to just wait for the price of ammo to fall back down a little closer to normal?

1. Haven't paid for a 30-06 case in a few years. (look in the classified for a price point)

2. Much cheaper to reload (waiting for the prices to fall is at this point, I think a pipe dream).

last time i bought 30-06 cases was 10 years ago at ole's gun shop
in salem. wanna say they were 20 cents a piece.

yes its worth it to reload. while everyone is paying almost a dollar a round for 5.56 i loaded 800 of them yesterday for 1/5th of that per round.

I think the biggest value in reloading is with large rifle cartridges. Not only can you customize your loads to your firearms for accuracy, recoil, bullet type...the cost savings is most noticeable. I typically use casings from factory ammo I have fired or virgin brass. I like knowing the history of the reloads for the case. If someone at the range is firing factory loads and wants to give me the brass...I'll take it.

This is a hard time to get into reloading but large rifle might be the easiest group as it is not high volume and powder for these is easier (a very relative term) to find.

I think the biggest value in reloading is with large rifle cartridges. Not only can you customize your loads to your firearms for accuracy, recoil, bullet type...the cost savings is most noticeable. I typically use casings from factory ammo I have fired or virgin brass. I like knowing the history of the reloads for the case. If someone at the range is firing factory loads and wants to give me the brass...I'll take it.

This is a hard time to get into reloading but large rifle might be the easiest group as it is not high volume and powder for these is easier (a very relative term) to find.
History of these are that I shot them about two weeks ago and put them in this jar. 45 of them. Yours for free if you want them and are able to drive to the west linn area.

582192B1-BA74-415D-BE7D-0FE6F4DB0D63.jpeg

After someone at the range came up and asked me if he could have my leftover 30-06 cases, I realized 2 things:

1. Casings have value

2. I might enjoy reloading.

So I have 2 questions for you:

1. How much do you typically pay for 30-06 casings (or whatever cases you use).

2. Is it worth it to reload, or is it better to just wait for the price of ammo to fall back down a little closer to normal?
If you are serious about accuracy, reload.
If you want to shoot more and to have money to do so, reload.
If you want a more enjoyable shooting experience, reload.

Online pricing of once fired 30-06 brass is .30 to .50 cents per piece.

My view on loading, Especially the .30/06 is this:
1) I can make ammo FAR better performing then the factories
2) Most factory .30/06 ammo is WAY under powered, this was done because of the issues with some of the earlier 1903 Springfield rifles that had improperly heat treated receivers as well as the millions of Garands out there! The .30/06 is capable of FAR more then your going to find retail
3) I can beat the cost of the cheapest ammo and do it with premium components.
4) I can make my ammo very specific to each of my rifles to perform specific tasks!

History of these are that I shot them about two weeks ago and put them in this jar. 45 of them. Yours for free if you want them and are able to drive to the west linn area.
Thank you kindly, I'm good for now but appreciate the range angel offer. If you are thinking about possibly reloading in the future I would suggest leaving them in jar, on a shelf and you will have a happy head start.

My view on loading, Especially the .30/06 is this:
1) I can make ammo FAR better performing then the factories
2) Most factory .30/06 ammo is WAY under powered, this was done because of the issues with some of the earlier 1903 Springfield rifles that had improperly heat treated receivers as well as the millions of Garands out there! The .30/06 is capable of FAR more then your going to find retail
3) I can beat the cost of the cheapest ammo and do it with premium components.
4) I can make my ammo very specific to each of my rifles to perform specific tasks!

Ok, now that sounds like a challenge worth embracing (learning how to do all that).

Funny how most people have no idea how complex and interesting firearms can be!

Reloading can be quite enjoyable. Especially when trying to achieve specific goals like shooting to 1k. Factory ammo has come a long way too, so it's definitely up to the shooter to decide its value. 30-06 has a ton of factory options, well it did when ammo could be found in stores. Reloading can definitely be a savior in times of ammunition scarcity, it also can be difficult in times where even components are scarce.

I would guess I have 400 30-06 cases. Maybe more. The only ammo I buy is .22 rimfire and shotshell. Cost vary depending on bullet cost and which powder being used. But roughly 40% of factory.

I would guess I have 400 30-06 cases. Maybe more. The only ammo I buy is .22 rimfire and shotshell. Cost vary depending on bullet cost and which powder being used. But roughly 40% of factory.
Compared to the 400 actual bullets I have laying around of 30-06 that I paid about $800 to acquire...

In 30-06, use Lake City match cases. Most run of the mill commercial cases would not be my choice, especially current Rem or Win. For primers, Federal Match or CCI bench rest. Lots of good bullets from Sierra, Berger, Nosler to choose from.

Ok, now that sounds like a challenge worth embracing (learning how to do all that).

Funny how most people have no idea how complex and interesting firearms can be!

I only load .30-06 for an M1 Garand. My brass came from PPU ammo "For M1 Garand", reported to be a more appropriate pressure for the action of the Garand. PPU brass is said to be good brass for reloading. .30-06 has a WIDE range of powders and bullet weights that can be used in the cartridge.

This is a TERRIBLE time to start loading your own! Definitely start collecting components for the future though. If you change your mind you can always sell what you have.

1. I haven't bought cases for a long time, so no help there. I went a bit overboard when I got started so I'm plowing through my original stash.

2. Depends on how much you shoot and how much you value your time. Getting set up can be expensive, but you can buy good used equipment pretty cheaply as well. Finding components these days is a real chore, however, particularly primers.

I really enjoy reloading. I got started in 2010 with the 30-06. Killed my first big game animal with my handloads that November, a bull elk. The sky is the limit with regards to bullet choices.

P

I only load .30-06 for an M1 Garand. My brass came from PPU ammo "For M1 Garand", reported to be a more appropriate pressure for the action of the Garand. PPU brass is said to be good brass for reloading. .30-06 has a WIDE range of powders and bullet weights that can be used in the cartridge.

This is a TERRIBLE time to start loading your own! Definitely start collecting components for the future though. If you change your mind you can always sell what you have.

i hear ya. I will at least start saving what I shoot each time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top