JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Components can be as hard to come by as ammo right now.
Many years past I bought many varieties of such things for each caliber to "experiment" on what worked best for me and or the gun. things a new reloader would find difficult to ponder without the experience of variety such as one powder being messy or hard to meter over another. The good news is that for a while at least any investment in components likely can be recouped if you become soured or disillusioned with loading your own down the line.
Besides equipment. for 30-06 which I would advise to come last, My opine would be;
While collecting / saving your brass. ( I started with 40 rounds of factory fireformed in my 270 and was able to reload most them 10 to 12 times each so if you have 2 boxes you are good to start.
First find large rifle primers (1K or at least many hundreds) Keep them dry and in a stable temp enviroment like a center of the house unheated closet.
Then get the best projectiles (style/weight) suited for your intentions, Also many hundreds +.
Now, via the several loading books you surely must of bought by now, you will have a list of recommended powders for use with that particular style bullet. that's the hard part, finding powder. so having a large list expands the likelihood of finding something albeit maybe not your preference. find one you can get at least several pounds of as 30-06 will take some volume and you don't want to run out just as you get things working up to snuff.
Finally the easy part, the equipment. you can get started with a little research, and due diligence for as little as 30 bucks with a Lee handloader or several hundred bucks for a box full of stuff with the real McCoy. Either way, you are now in business and not sitting with a bunch of dusty equipment and no components.

After someone at the range came up and asked me if he could have my leftover 30-06 cases, I realized 2 things:

1. Casings have value

2. I might enjoy reloading.

So I have 2 questions for you:

1. How much do you typically pay for 30-06 casings (or whatever cases you use).

2. Is it worth it to reload, or is it better to just wait for the price of ammo to fall back down a little closer to normal?
Its worth it to reload if you will enjoy controlling every aspect of your shooting, but its also possible you might find a particular brand of ammo that shoots accurately from your rifle. I just got into reloading this year and can tell you that for improving rifle precision/accuracy its not as simple as people will tell you, but it has been fun for me to learn to control every aspect of the ammo and finally get a group thats equal to a factory brand I shoot that accurate from my rifle. Now to figure out how to improve it more...

Most of my 30-06 is 150gr but I have a few boxes of Hornady SST 180gr.
Anyone shot those before or have info on what to expect?
My only complaint against Hornady ammo was their quoted velocity wasn't close to the actual results out of the rifle I tried them in. I was pretty disappointed with that, especially for the price of the box.
This was back when they were pushing their "Light Magnum" ammo (obviously quite a while ago). Other ammo in that rifle ran right on the nose and I knew it wasn't the rifle's fault.

I have used a lot of Hornady products thru the years and have no other reservations about their products. In fact, I don't believe anyone makes a better handgun bullet than the XTP.

On other thing I'd noticed in my guns. I usually shoot 180gr bullets, but the tightest group I ever shot out of a 30-06 was with a 150gr bullet. My gut feeling is that the 1:10 twist in an '06 could be improved by going to 1:9, but that's just a hunch based on my experience.

I have reloaded many thousands of 30/06 for competition shooting in a M-1 Garands. I use LC brass all of the same year.
168 SMK and IMR 4064 powder gives the best accuracy. This is exspensive ammo to buy even before our latest drought.
Here is one of my best targets I have shot at an 'As Issued' JC Garand match. 200 yards prone position iron sights.
100-9X was the score. One '10' at 9 O'clock. 5 pasted "sighters" on target. As you can see my reloads work well.
100-9X.JPG

I have reloaded many thousands of 30/06 for competition shooting in a M-1 Garands. I use LC brass all of the same year.
168 SMK and IMR 4064 powder gives the best accuracy. This is exspensive ammo to buy even before our latest drought.
Here is one of my best targets I have shot at an 'As Issued' JC Garand match. 200 yards prone position iron sights.
100-9X was the score. One '10' at 9 O'clock. 5 pasted "sighters" on target. As you can see my reloads work well.
View attachment 863304

I wish I could see good enough at even 100 yards to get a "group". We went up to the range last week and I finally got some "groups" at 50yards that made me feel good. I WISH they had been my loads.

30-06 was about $0.50 per round to reload buying once fired brass and bulk bullets before Covid and riot panic. Cheapest new ammo was about $0.72 per round at the same time.

Now with primers at $100 per thousand, powder $80 per pound, once fired brass $0.25 per case and bullets $0.35 each, reloads cost $1.27 each. Surplus ammo is going for $1.50 or so.

Picking this thread back up…
So it sounds like if I offered my shot-once 30-06 casings for 10 cents each, they'd get snatched up pretty fast?
What about .45 and 9mm?

Picking this thread back up…
So it sounds like if I offered my shot-once 30-06 casings for 10 cents each, they'd get snatched up pretty fast?
What about .45 and 9mm?
Probably. Only one way to find out; post them up. 9mm and .45 is not going to command the same price. You'd be lucky to get $.04/case for those.

After someone at the range came up and asked me if he could have my leftover 30-06 cases, I realized 2 things:

1. Casings have value

2. I might enjoy reloading.

So I have 2 questions for you:

1. How much do you typically pay for 30-06 casings (or whatever cases you use).

2. Is it worth it to reload, or is it better to just wait for the price of ammo to fall back down a little closer to normal?
A quick search turned up $35 - $55 per 100 once-fired 30-06 cases.
Yes it's worth it to reload.
First you enjoy the savings, then you enjoy the improved accuracy.

The 30-06 sold almost immediately ;)

Counting out all my .45 and 9mm now, in case anyone wants to call dibs early on them. I'll probably stick with 10 cents each on those as well.

Last Edited:
The 30-06 sold almost immediately ;)

Counting out all my .45 and 9mm now, in case anyone wants to call dibs early on them. I'll probably stick with 10 cents each on those as well.

If the items are sold, please lock your ad.

Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top