JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You just got your CPL after July 11, 2012 right? Because if you had one before that date the law does not work for them. Like mine is 12 years and I can't use that law:s0054:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nope....I've had my license for 17 yrs or so and the issue date of my current license is 2/15/2011

Like I said though I did fill out the background check...it was computerized so that may have been the difference. Sportco in Fife WA does the background checks on a computer, you just fill in the blanks and sign electronically

Edit.....my wife applied for her permit on 12/28/12 and it just arrived a couple days ago....it is identical to mine and is still labeled as "License to carry concealed pistol" commonly referred to as CPL. I'm not sure what some of the people meant when they said it was a CWP after July 2012. I have never heard reference to that before and my wife's license seems to say otherwise

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

There's no, "if I got denied", because I live a life that doesn't make that a possibility.

/shrug

There are LOTS of reasons that people get delayed of NO fault of their own. I have a buddy that has never been in any kind of trouble yet he was always delayed so he got his own "number" so this does not happen anymore.

How about people with very common names? Someone else does something bad and you get accidentally flagged, it happens.

Not just "bad" people get delayed/denied.

I took the 2 hr drive from portland down to the cabelas in springfield to buy a gun that I couldnt find here, a sti spartan 5 in 9mm. I did the bc and approval before I had to pay for the gun. They said the bc would take 30 mins but I got approved pretty quick, about 5 mins.

Huh. That's funny. Last time I bought a gun I didn't have to go through a BG check. Just showed him my cwp.

Then your FFL did something wrong. Even with a WA CHL, they're still supposed to call in to the Federal number (or go via computer these days) to get your clearance - the confirmation number is written down on their federal paperwork, which you should also have had to sign. WA CHL just means you don't have a wait period to take it home once you clear.

~Mitch

Then your FFL did something wrong. Even with a WA CHL, they're still supposed to call in to the Federal number (or go via computer these days) to get your clearance - the confirmation number is written down on their federal paperwork, which you should also have had to sign. WA CHL just means you don't have a wait period to take it home once you clear.

~Mitch

He could mean it was a private purchase. If it wasn't it's possible he didn't see the phone call, or that dealer is just asking for trouble.

These days, I don't lay any cash down unless I can walk out the store with it. I'm Washington and don't have to go through the BG check with my cwp.
I believe they waive the WAITING PERIOD. They do the BACKGROUND CHECK by phone based on the paperwork you fill out at the time of purchase.

I've been getting delayed since homeland security took effect. The last two years the batf don't even bother to call back. I called the batf to find out why and was told "We don't know what the problem is, so we can't call back...So I dont pay in advance anymore. I also make sure the dealer will still sell me the gun if they don't hear back from nics. (Some stores like Fred Meyer won't) And I have had a cpl for 15 years now.

Bought a few guns in the past [Bimart] and S&M guns in Eugene say what you like but Marvin is a ok guy he knows me by sight even if I don't stop often S&M and bimart have never ask for money up front. NEVER.

My .2 cents for what it's worth, I have purchased 4 new guns, On line sales through Gun Broker etc I fully understand paying up front, but my FFL didn't ask for payment until after everything was complete. The other guns were purchased from Sportsmens Warehouse, no money exchanged hands until everything was complete. Bi-Mart, again no money exchanged, and most recently Cabelas in Springfield, did everything up front without payment, and in fact they waived my background fee, and $25 off the gun price because the gun had a wear mark on it from the factory. Sounds to me like its a small store thing.

In the last 9 months I have bought 4 rifles, 2 hand guns, and an AR, and the only one I had to pay for upfront was the AR and that was at NW Armory, the others were bought from Keith's, Wholesale, and Cabela's.

Interesting thread. My buddy bought his first .22 target pistol almost 2 weeks ago at a big store in Beaverton and the BI could not be approved. Odd because his record is squeaky clean. Guy at the counter told him it "happens all the time," and he (the salesman) had been delayed once before as well.

Anyhow, my pal paid for the pistol. Nothing special, just the last one they had because of the current frenzy. He wanted to secure his purchase while the bureaucrats sort out their end of it.

13 days later, he's still waiting.

Common occurrence?
Actually, I was misinformed. He did NOT pay for the pistol in advance. The merchant put it on hold for him, and nearly 2 months later, says he's still holding it for him if/when the BI finally clears. My pal calls weekly and says they're getting a bit testy now. "Noooooooo... we didn't call you back yet did we?"

Mine always cleared on the spot. What's the longest delay you guys have experienced one way or the other?
----------------------------
Edit added 03-09-2013: He finally got it today, almost 2 months after! Guess we're going to the range tomorrow afternoon. 'Bout time!

one thing i found in doing BC's is if you've moved in the past 6 months, it can delay 2 wks. my son was delayed, and went in and picked up his gun, and was told this ! use old address if you can, to clear BC ! Now to answer the original question, NO !, i'v never been asked to pay upfront , cuz if you do, then it's your gun, and the store can't even take it back.....they have to re-register it back to them.........

steven

Most gun stores I've been to here in the south sound (bulls eye, marksman, rainier arms) ALWAYS make you pay up front.. gets annoying when I need to come back a few days later after getting the usual delay (was told it's because of my greencard and they have to cross reference immigration blablabla.. can't wait to get Citizenship!). At least nowadays I don't need to lug around 3 months of paystubs anymore (even though last time Rainier still hadn't caught on to that (or updated their E-4473 software) and that was several months after that change went into effect, and made me come back to show them the next day... :rolleyes: )

Really wish WA would pass the NICS exemption for CPL holders since mine was issued after the July 2011 date to avoid all this delay nonsense..

I've bought two firearms in the last six months from WCA. Both times I paid before the BC came back. One was a rifle the other a pistol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top