JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something that has bothered me about our society was brought to the forefront by the idiot in Tuscon. Our nations seems to be completely consumed by consumerism. Marketing will tout something, and producers will produce something, not because it is needed, but simply because the technology exists to make it. Which brings me to my theme. Who NEEDS a 30 round magazine for a pistol??? it puts the weapon off balance, and unless you are assaulting a terrorist stronghold or just too freakin lazy to reload on the range or a really bad shot, what is the purpose of a 30 round mag for a pistol?? I do not question our right to buy or own them, but I think buying something just because it is there is a virus that makes us weaker. The folks who make accessories will produce any number of useless items just for profit, not utility. I have been handling firearms for many many years. I fully support the rights accorded us under the 2nd Amendment. But for the life of me I think we may be feeding the fires of those who oppose our rights by supporting an industry-made demand for useless accessories that do little to improve our weapons.

Do people really need a truck with a 10" suspension lift and monster tires to drive around the city streets? No, but people still do it. People here have too much money to spend on pointless items.

Do people really need a truck with a 10" suspension lift and monster tires to drive around the city streets? No, but people still do it. People here have too much money to spend on pointless items.

Sir.. You do live in Oregon. I would be willing to bet you haven't seen the size of some of the mudholes around outside of the cities.

Beyond that. Its just plain fun. I miss having a lifted truck.

Too often others tell us what we need and don't need. The next step is to make the decisions for us. Who we are isn't defined by what we have in possesions but in or freedoms. It is wrong to deny good honest human beings what they want because someone uses the same item in a crime. Will you take away cars due to drunk driving? More killings every year due to drunks than high cap mags.

The liberal mindset is full of telling others what they can have or what they can say etc. Time to recognize this and keep leftist thinking out of power.

jj

Who NEEDS a 15-round magazine?
Who NEEDS a 10-round magazine?
Who NEEDS a semi-automatic?
Who NEEDS a folding stock?
Who NEEDS a bayonet lug?
Who NEEDS a concealable handgun?
Who NEEDS a "non-sporting" firearm?
Who NEEDS an "assault rifle" ?
Who NEEDS a "high-powered rifle" ?
Who NEEDS a "sniper rifle" ?
Who NEEDS tracer ammunition?
Who NEEDS body armor?
Who NEEDS an automatic knife?
Who NEEDS a pointy stick?

This line of questioning is just asking for trouble. I don't NEED any of these things, but that doesn't mean I should have any less right to have them if I decide I want them.

I do believe the OP was just asking what the point of using a 30rd mag in a handgun is. I dont believe he was asking why we needed them. Although there are lots of rifle platforms that use handgun mags and that was most likely the driving behind most of the higher capacity hand gun type mags on the market. I dont see too many people buying sub 2000's or camp carbines or ? if it were to be only capable of ten rounds.

As far as the Arizona incident the guy could have used something other than a handgun with the larger capacity or even had more than one gun. The mag,gun,bullets etc. had nothing to do with the event it was the person using them in the manner he did.

Who NEEDS a 15-round magazine?
Who NEEDS a 10-round magazine?
Who NEEDS a semi-automatic?
Who NEEDS a folding stock?
Who NEEDS a bayonet lug?
Who NEEDS a concealable handgun?
Who NEEDS a "non-sporting" firearm?
Who NEEDS an "assault rifle" ?
Who NEEDS a "high-powered rifle" ?
Who NEEDS a "sniper rifle" ?
Who NEEDS tracer ammunition?
Who NEEDS body armor?
Who NEEDS an automatic knife?
Who NEEDS a pointy stick?

This line of questioning is just asking for trouble. I don't NEED any of these things, but that doesn't mean I should have any less right to have them if I decide I want them.
I don't think it is asking for trouble to question whether our behavior as gun owners may feed into the hands of those who wish to take away our right to own them. I do not for an instant oppose anyone's RIGHT to own a 30 round magazine, but I would submit that there is a question about their utility as a pistol accessory. For a AK or AR type weapon...no I see the utility there, but in my experience not for a pistol. I contend that by being discerning consumers we can shape the market place to suit our needs, no matter what the commodity, rather than having those who would profit from useless items set our desires.

What I DON"T need is the government telling me what I do or do not need.

Amen brother! But the sheep will always buy the safety arguments derived by the upper ruling class to just... keep us safer......

Thats why I pay such high cigarette tax, have to wear a helmet, wear a seat belt, and pay to carry a gun........

I don't think it is asking for trouble to question whether our behavior as gun owners may feed into the hands of those who wish to take away our right to own them. I do not for an instant oppose anyone's RIGHT to own a 30 round magazine, but I would submit that there is a question about their utility as a pistol accessory. For a AK or AR type weapon...no I see the utility there, but in my experience not for a pistol. I contend that by being discerning consumers we can shape the market place to suit our needs, no matter what the commodity, rather than having those who would profit from useless items set our desires.

That is a slippery slope to go down. You could also say who needs a car that goes faster than 65mph that's the speed limit isnt it? The list could go on and on with examples but it all boils down to capitalism and the freedom to sell and buy dang near anything and living in a country that lets you freely do so, for the time being anyway.

Just imagine single shot pistols? Would you rather a 5, 10, 15, 20 round magazine or a single shot. I am lazy to keep reloading and thats why I don't own any single shots. I tried shooting a single shot rifle and it is the most boring thing to do. It reminds me of a pellet gun, pump,pump,pump and keep pumping and shoot and do all over again. So more is better.

I believe the thirty-three round Glock magazines were originally developed for the Glock 18, an SMG. In fact, that magazine was the default "ships with" magazine for the Glock 18, if you believe the Wikipedia table I just looked at. Thirty-three rounds in a machine pistol is not a bad idea. It just so happens that the extended mag design is compatible with other Glock pistols.

Why would anyone need it for personal use? It wouldn't be a terrible idea for home defense. I'd hate to think I would need that many rounds, but if I trained with it, I would feel better about home defense with 33 rounds available than I would with the six in my revolver (though I would prefer my revolver anyway, for other reasons). Obviously it's not practical for everyday concealed carry while loaded, but it could be carried separately as a backup magazine.

Of course, nobody needs 33 rounds, or one for that matter - need is a defined word, but like all the rest it is easily flexed under the weight of lawyers and politicians.

I need one because I *want* one, and what I want and can afford is necessary, as long as it fulfills its purpose, which is making me happy, and harms no innocents in the process. Nobody is hurt by the existence or ownership of a thirty-three round magazine. Mr. Crazy Pants in Tucson could have had the same capacity (+1 actually) with a second Glock. Or more magazines and training to use them. Or an improvised explosive. You can't legislate crazy away.

Yeah according to the govt we don't need 30 round mags, then what's next? AR15s, AKs, Pistols, Rifles, knives, swords, alcohol, cigs, cars, where does it end?

Once we sacrifice some rights we lose all rights.
If people can abuse the 1st amendment in the way they do then we should be able to use every stretch of our imagination in the 2nd.

Ma Duce

", but I would submit that there is a question about their utility as a pistol accessory"

;) could it be just operator error that won't let you see the utility?:s0114:

I doubt anyone would carry the big mags in the gun while holstered but as a reload it has great utility.

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads