JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not looking for a debate really, but facts and figures about who and what and why certain ak-47 are better or worse, I am looking for a sh*t hit the fan type of gun, I have my glock I know when I squeese the trigger it will go bang , and I would like an ak for the same reason, (yes I know ar-15 are wonderful guns) so who has a reason for liking one type or another , other than I had a ...... and it jammed?? stamped or milled why is one better , romainian, chinese or..... I have seen them in 7.62 and .223??? what about the saiga.... why are some $400 and some $700????? who makes the best / least likly to fail mags... do 40rnd mags have more issues than 20rnd mags, does a 40 with only 35 in it work better than full loads,,,, only planning on buying 1 ak, I have lots of guns, but they are all for a purpose hunting weapons , (well my glock is my 1 bought for defence weapon) not counting .22 lrs bought for taking kids plinking... so , what ak -47 is best??

Pick a caliber-
5.56 NATO Pricey Mags and Ammo
5.45 X39 Super cheap ammo and imported mags are decent quality (corrosive ammo)
7.62X39 Reasonable ammo and mags non-corrosive ammo is available

I haven't found a US made mag or composite that I would recommend.

Stay away from:
-anything on a B-West Receiver-they are not heat treated

I would also stay away from:
-Inter Ordnance (IO)
-Century Arms (CAI)-there are some good ones out there, but you really got to inspect each one, with the exception of their Draco pistol.
-TBI-hit or miss depending on the donor build kit.

Norincos are excellent but haven't been imported for 18 years, if you can find one used it is probably a good one for under $900.

Good Sources I would recommend- Vector Arms, Arsenal or a custom build from Rifle Dynamics, Krebs Custom, Red Jacket or In Range.

If I were looking for a good quality without breaking the bank (HAHAHA) I would go with an arsenal/saiga. They have chrome lined barrels that are hammer forged. They have the current updated features of the Russian guns. They meet 922. They don't cost as much as a complete custom build. IMHO these are the glock of AK's.

I am not and do not claim to be the AK fortune teller. This is my 2 cents, let your non-debate continue.

thank you eagle , thats the kind of info i was looking for,
so for now I will limit my research to the 7.62 as it seems to be the most common in the ak's
who has/had the saiga in 7.62, how did you like it any hiccups?
who has/had arsenal in 7.62how did you like it any hiccups?

thank you eagle , thats the kind of info i was looking for,
so for now I will limit my research to the 7.62 as it seems to be the most common in the ak's
who has/had the saiga in 7.62, how did you like it any hiccups?Converted a 20" 7.62 gun to pistol grip config, ran great.
who has/had arsenal in 7.62how did you like it any hiccups?Currently have an SLR-107F, has been my main go-to/competition gun for a little over 2 years. No complaints

I've had:

SAR-1
Mak90 in .223
2 WASR 10s
Golani
Saiga
Romy "G" build
Mak90 in 7.62
SLR-107F

I Have yet to own a "lemon". Even my WASR with canted sights ran 100%. Fit and finish varies widely, but for the most part you're hard pressed to find a factory built AK that won't run.

what is the slr is that a brand or modle or......, thanks, and what competition are you doing with it? thanks

SLR-107F is a Bulgarian re-made by Arsenal USA. I have one, it is excellent. Installed an Ultimak rail/gas tube to mount a red dot. Thousands of rounds through it, not a hicup. Steel mags are good, US Palm also makes good mags.

SLR-107F is a Bulgarian re-made by Arsenal USA. I have one, it is excellent. Installed an Ultimak rail/gas tube to mount a red dot. Thousands of rounds through it, not a hicup. Steel mags are good, US Palm also makes good mags.

Like this?

103.jpg

:D

A far as i know saiga ak style rifles will not accept a standard ak magazine without modification... So you have to do some gunsmith work or buy there mags. something to consider.

From my experience,he means Saiga sporter rifles that have not been converted to 922r military config - the ones with the sporter stocks and no pistol grip. They don't have cartridge guides and use a sporter mag.

The Arsenal Saiga guns all take standard military AK mags and use standard AK parts.

Also explains the Sporter $299 price tag vs. the $750+ for the Arsenal.

Nice Unka-Boo! I am looking at the SGL21-66 for CHRISTmas!

From my experience,he means Saiga sporter rifles that have not been converted to 922r military config - the ones with the sporter stocks and no pistol grip. They don't have cartridge guides and use a sporter mag.

The Arsenal Saiga guns all take standard military AK mags and use standard AK parts.

Also explains the Sporter $299 price tag vs. the $750+ for the Arsenal.

Classic arms has " 1/2 converted " Saigas for $429....take regular AK mags and are pistol grip config...front ends are same as std sporters though:

About the same price as doing it yourself without the work ( not that it's hard )

What's your opinion of the trend to convert to M4 stocks? Personally I hate the way they look, but are there any advantages?

I prefer the "classic" AK looks, but if it does what you want and it's comfortable, more power to ya...I went that route on the Saiga I converted, partly because it came with the stock when I bought it ( was the type that replaced the factory stock, but I noticed that once you unbolted the p-grip, it was a std stock :s0112: )

With a std stock:

I realized after the fact that it was an early B-West import ( '94 ) and probably should have left it alone....D'oh...

Thanks for the reply. Is that a TWS system for top cover? Was that hard to install (for the basic klutz)?

Stocks-You have several options.
-Standard Thumbhole
-Aftermarket wood-Ironwood probably my favorite
-Underfolder-personally hate 'em. Haven't had one that didn't loosen up eventually, not comfortable
-Side folder-my personal fav. Makes stashin' it a little easier. Solid as a wooden stock when locked open.
-M4-no experience. Never thought I would like it.

While we are on stocks. Couple of things to consider.
Angle cut receiver-limits your stock options or at least add to the work.
Stock Length-Warsaw, NATO, US

Thanks for the reply. Is that a TWS system for top cover? Was that hard to install (for the basic klutz)?

It was a knock-off that I wouldn't buy again....the TWS gen 2 looks pretty bullet proof, my personal favorite is the Ultimak. If you have a side rail, take a look at the RS regulate mounts, low profile, co-witness and centered over the bore.

It was a knock-off that I wouldn't buy again....the TWS gen 2 looks pretty bullet proof, my personal favorite is the Ultimak. If you have a side rail, take a look at the RS regulate mounts, low profile, co-witness and centered over the bore.

Thanks, these look awesome!
<broken link removed>

So what I'm seeing around here is a mac90 with a machined receiver for $700,nice kit with it.
And some WASRs in the $500 range

That about right?

WASRs can be had for $400 or less online and I have a REAL hard time being convinced that any MAK is worth over $500....I know they've gone for more, but once you break the $500 threshold, there are better options available that don't need "restoring".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top