JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've heard the generally recommended manufacturers (Microbest, Toolcraft, Failzero etc.) and BCG's from the big names i.e. (Daniel defense, BCM, Colt, etc.) but in your opinion who makes the best Mil-Spec BCG? Seems like products from microbest for example are a fair bit cheaper than say BCM or Daniel for example. Is it worth it to pay the extra for the "big" name? This is for my main squeeze "go-to" fighting rifle so reliability matters most. I also prefer a nitride or phosphate finish.

What ya'll think?

The BCG and the barrel IS the AR. If you're going skimp, don't do it in those two places.

As the best...probably SOLGW. They are about the only outlet that will thoroughly cover the specs of each part of the BCG...you don't find that with any other outlet for BCGs. They post a few specs of the parts...but not all like SOLGW does.

The specs are the same as Colt, or Military spec BCG.

I have gauged many BCGs, and few will have all parts that will pass.

Last Edited:
Watch school of the American rifle on YouTube. He goes through tons of BCGs and you'll notice a trend for which brands consistently gauge well

definitely like nitride over NIB...check out the new Enhanced BCG from the same company that builds CMC triggers. AR15discounts.com had these on sale for a very good price. If you are going to run suppressed these may have an additional gas porting benefit as well. Look at the rear of the carrier which is the area that is enhanced and smooths out operation. Rainier Arms had them as well. CMC ENHANCED BOLT CARRIER GROUP - AR-15 5.56/ 223/ 300 BLACKOUT.
If you are going light weight and want a nitride or NIB BCG of said fashion the best deals I have personally seen are from https://www.righttobear.com

this has been asked lots of times, atleast from my research here is a top tier list.

top tier In no particular order.
sionics np3
bcm ion bond
bcm phosphate
sionics phosphate
lmt enhanced
kac enhanced (proprietary)

i guess nickel boron is snake oil. But np3 coating is good. for a budget bcg that i believe is pretty decent look at the toolcraft ion bond @ $100

In budget range personally id get a phosphate sionics bcg, they are going for about $130 after coupon at bevanbalistics.

there is a guy on reddit that has written extensivly on bcgs. Very opinionated but provides a lot of references, im sure you can find one of his many opuses on bcgs.. lol

Last Edited:
this has been asked lots of times, atleast from my research here is a top tier list.

top tier In no particular order.
sionics np3
bcm ion bond
bcm phosphate
sionics phosphate
lmt enhanced
kac enhanced (proprietary)

i guess nickel boron is snake oil. But np3 coating is good. for a budget bcg that i believe is pretty decent look at the toolcraft ion bond @ $100

In budget range personally id get a phosphate sionics bcg, they are going for about $130 after coupon at bevanbalistics.

The only BCM I've had choke on me had an Ion Bond BCG.

I love my SIONICS Np3 BCG's not just for the finish but they also use Ned Christiansen's OCKS and his MOACKS staking tool.
http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

The only BCM I've had choke on me had an Ion Bond BCG.

I love my SIONICS Np3 BCG's not just for the finish but they also use Ned Christiansen's OCKS and his MOACKS staking tool.
http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php
Yeah ive been running an ion bond bcm in my ladies rifle, been solid for me. It matches her fde accents, she likes it.

And yes sionics are on another level. bcm ion bond is like $190, np3 sionics blem at $199 is better everyday

Last Edited:
Go phosphate

Screenshot_20221130-082703_Instagram.jpg

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't phosphate the correct mil-spec coating for a bcg anyway?

I ask this because OP asked for the best mil-spec while everyone else seems to be suggesting every coating other than phosphate.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^👍

Sometimes I just want a regular ole IN N OUT cheeseburger and everybody feels the need to jump down my throat about not ordering off the secret menu. "You need to get the Flying Dutchman, Animal Style fries, or a 4X4". 🤦‍♂️

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't phosphate the correct mil-spec coating for a bcg anyway?

I ask this because OP asked for the best mil-spec while everyone else seems to be suggesting every coating other than phosphate.
You would be correct sir. I just want to know what is the best of the Mil-Spec Phosphate and Chrome Lined BCG and is it worth the money to buy a Daniel Defense, BCM, or SOLGW etc. over a Microbest or AO Precision equivalent considering they are like double the cost or more. I know it's a subjective question and all that but just wanted the query the forums and get ya'll take on it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top