JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes I know this might be subjective but I'm looking to buy a fal and would like some feedback from owners. I'm considering a DSA but I'm open to others. I want a well made rig with lots of bells and whistles so tell me what ya think.

What sort of "bells and whistles" are you wanting on your FAL? There aren't too many options for a tricked out FAL out there unless your going with a high end custom build from a kit. To my knowledge, DSA is the only one who builds FALs that deviate from the standard military configuration. The only other commercial builder I would consider would be enterprise.

I have looked at DS Arms and I'm tempted. I do like there options like short barrels and new furniture. I would end up dropping 2500 bucks there, does DS have a good rep?

Fabrique Nationale of course..

Yes agreed, Fabrique Nationale is by far the best. Back in the mid 90's I owned one of the rarest FAL's in North America. I owned a Belgian "G" series FAL. Only 1,256 rifles in North America. It was the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. You know the story, the ex left and I had bills to pay......blah, blah, blah. Now I own an Imbel I put together on an Imbel receiver. Not quite as smooth as the "G" series but a good shooting rifle non the less. I have a DSA dust cover with picatiny and a Millet scope on top. I used it deer hunting last year. Awful heavy to carry on your shoulder all day. I took a coyote at about 350 yards.

The SA FAL's were made by Imbel, who still make them to this day.
Personally I wouldn't pay the money for a DSA built gun.
Shoddy work and shoddy parts for more than a few years now.
I would look for a home built gun, better chance of getting a decent rifle that way for thousands less.
Older Century guns can be a great find as well for cheap. Most see Century and run away.
The older ones were built on Imbel and Argentine recievers.
Not much effort required to turn one around into a nice shooter.

I built an Imbel kit on a SA(read Imbel) recienver. Nice gun, which I really enjoy shooting. If your up to it and can find a decent deal on a kit(good luck) you should build your own rifle. If not......I would plan on having to go over and through any rifle you buy.

If it were me, I'd keep an eye out on falfiles.com for a rifle assembled by one of the many reputable builders on that forum.

In my opinion:

#1 Fabrique Nationale (FN)
#2 Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil (IMBEL)

But being foreign made, both have 922r issues if you modify them. So for me, the main US manufacturer:

#3 DS Arms (DSA)

I've owned 4 FALs, currently down to 2. 2 were built by my Dad on IMBEL recievers, and are great shooters. The STG58 kit builds are great, and much lighter than the Isreali I have. Not sure if they're still in business, but I've heard a lot of good things about builds from Arizona Response Systems. The DSAs are both great guns, and I have had no issues with them. Both have seen over a thousand rounds through the pipe. Not sure what bells and whistles you're looking for. The only additions I put on were scope mounts for a Trijicon TA33-9, and a small rail on the handguard to add a light. They're pretty heavy to begin with, so you'll want to keep that in mind when adding accessories. Spare parts are readily available and cheap, which has kept me from moving to an M14. Mags are drying up though, so get them now if you're looking to stock up. Quality surplus ammo has been hard to find lately as well, but I recall that being a problem last election year as well. If you're set on DSA, I'd recommend looking for a used one or checking out gunbroker. I bought my SA58 new through gunbroker for about 500 bucks less than DSA's retail price. Be sure to check the date of manufacture though, as they have a recall on some of their trigger groups on SA58s. That's about all the advice I can offer. They're a blast to shoot, and I haven't met an owner yet who is dissatisfied with their purchase.

Yes agreed, Fabrique Nationale is by far the best. Back in the mid 90's I owned one of the rarest FAL's in North America. I owned a Belgian "G" series FAL. Only 1,256 rifles in North America. It was the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. You know the story, the ex left and I had bills to pay......blah, blah, blah. Now I own an Imbel I put together on an Imbel receiver. Not quite as smooth as the "G" series but a good shooting rifle non the less. I have a DSA dust cover with picatiny and a Millet scope on top. I used it deer hunting last year. Awful heavy to carry on your shoulder all day. I took a coyote at about 350 yards.

I wish I could afford an FN. They're beautiful weapons. I have a feeling that if I bring one home, my wife will be handing me papers.

In my opinion:

#1 Fabrique Nationale (FN)
#2 Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil (IMBEL)

But being foreign made, both have 922r issues if you modify them. So for me, the main US manufacturer:

#3 DS Arms (DSA)

If your gun was built from any imported parts you still have to watch out for 922R requirements. You must have the required number of US parts.. I ran into this when modifying a US built (from many imported parts) PTR 91. Fortunately there is a growing HK 91 US parts availability, especially accessories such as flash suppressors and stocks

I really like my Argentine one (FMAP)...much much less than a FN...but built on licensed machinery that was tooled in Belgium Of the 3 FAL's I've owned, its been the best. Never owned a DSA one though.

BTW I had a brain fart, the FAL Springfield imported was from Argentina and it was a very fine gun.. I was thinking of the Springfield G3 type that was imported from Greece

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top