JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many times when the Snopes card is thrown down, the subject is politically neutral or the evidence is weak, so in the past I haven't questioned their credentials or cared that much.
I wouldn't even know where to start. A brief search will tell you whatever you want to believe about their political slant or accuracy. What website checks the website that is supposed to be THE final answer??

The problem is, more and more, Snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/info/whatsnew.asp is being cited as the absolute truth on a wide range of stuff. A conversation ender that shuts down an argument, without any argument. My gut tells me they have an agenda but............

for all I know they are completely neutral and 100% on the money factual. Just like NBC or CBS or FOX or PBS or Lars Larson or Rachal Mado.................

It's very useful having a nebulous all knowing entity that people don't question.:s0087:

Here's what they say about it in the FAQ section. Of course they wrote/created it as well so who knows unless they are willing to do a ton of research.

Q: Who creates the material for this site?

A: With very few exceptions, all of the material on this site is prepared by the same people who operate this site, <broken link removed> .

Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?

A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/info/faq.asp#8Kw4aOdB5OZ8uMmJ.99

Is it true that they are Phil Mikkelson's parents?

Kidding aside, Snopes seems fairly reliable, though also seems a bit biased politically.

I use them as a source, but not the final answer. They can be helpful for starting a search on the validity of a claim, as they often have already reviewed it and have posted some history/background on the claim, usually with some source references. That can be helpful in doing your own research.

For political stuff, I like http://www.factcheck.org/ They do a nice job and don't seemed too biased to one side or the other.

Ultimately, if you want to make any kind of claim, just be sure to cite your source(s). If you happen to get it wrong because you didn't cross-check the facts, well I guess you may need to develop a taste for crow ;)

Is it true that they are Phil Mikkelson's parents?

Kidding aside, Snopes seems fairly reliable, though also seems a bit biased politically.

A bit? Everything negative about B H Owebamma comes back as.... wait for it...... FALSE!!!!! ding ding ding wroop wroop wroop (supposed to sound like a Navy ship emergency siren) you know the drill.
Try putting something in there about Bush......

A bit? Everything negative about B H Owebamma comes back as.... wait for it...... FALSE!!!!! ding ding ding wroop wroop wroop (supposed to sound like a Navy ship emergency siren) you know the drill.
Try putting something in there about Bush......

Just being restrained and polite due to heavy medication. My wife insisted that I don't break anything during the Oregon/ Ohio State game...

It's like Wikipedia, the truth changes with who writes in to make more information on the post. I don't believe much on the net:D

Many times when the Snopes card is thrown down, the subject is politically neutral or the evidence is weak, so in the past I haven't questioned their credentials or cared that much.
I wouldn't even know where to start. A brief search will tell you whatever you want to believe about their political slant or accuracy. What website checks the website that is supposed to be THE final answer??

The problem is, more and more, Snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/info/whatsnew.asp is being cited as the absolute truth on a wide range of stuff. A conversation ender that shuts down an argument, without any argument. My gut tells me they have an agenda but............

for all I know they are completely neutral and 100% on the money factual. Just like NBC or CBS or FOX or PBS or Lars Larson or Rachal Mado.................

It's very useful having a nebulous all knowing entity that people don't question.:s0087:

I slways heard it is a George Soros Owned site in some round the sewer way, so I don't give it credence for much of anything except leftist pucky.

Example: Why I give snopes zero credibility.

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
They are uber Left Wing Wackos, paid for by George Soros. Proof???

Most everything that G. Soros ~does~ is behind three layers of filtered deniability. But, as pointed out above, use their research on a Conservative subject... Versus a liberal...

Gee not to reopen a very dead thread, try "Global Warming", you try it, is my suggestion, I simply will not visit their website any more...

philip, conservative... Don't need no liberal Progressive COMMUNISTS telling me what is what :rolleyes:

I suppose he's 85/90% accurate on his opinions IMO. His facts, maybe not as high, who's got time to look all that stuff up? I'm sure he ramps up a few stats here and there to make a point.;)

Don't like or listen to Lars and I have met him in person. I am too conservative for him:D

I don't think they are *the* authority - but they are lot more authoritative than 90% of the crap posted on the internet where very few people check their facts, provide no source cites, etc.

For years I have noticed that people have gotten to the point where they don't care if what they post is true, or not - it becomes "true" because they like it, and they want it to be true, and some unabashedly state that as justification for their assertion that something is "true".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top