JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Muja Rioja 1989 Reserva: Good?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No but I'll take it off your hands

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I said:.....
Should also have mentioned I bought this in 94'. Back when a teenager could bring a few bottles back in their luggage.

Wait, I haven't been able to make it past your comment that you bought a SINGLE bottle of wine and DIDN'T drink it but just sat and watched it for 6 years like some egg in a nest?

LOL, not only did I watch it for 6 years prior to turning legal age I've watched it now on the shelf for a total of 18 years now. Mind you I did bring back bottle(s), but this one took the cake for it's ability to be stored out of sight.

I, too, have waited too long on several cases of fine wines. Don't delay--it will not improve from here. (Probably stopped improving many, many years ago.) I would guess it will be very pale in color, almost waterish. If it is corked, then perhaps taste like vinegar. My best guess is that it will be just barely palatable. Please report later.

I may crack the bottle open on Wednesday the 7th. I'm scheduled to have a dinner evening with my dad and his wife for no particular reason. She seems to be more of a wine connoisseur than I could ever be.

Best part of it all is I think I paid $15 for it back in 94.

Depends what kind of rum

10igy2g.jpg

I have built a few custom wine cellars for well to do connoisseurs.
One of them opened a bottle of very expensive french wine after his cellar was completed.
It was very nice, but he sure didn't like the fact that I downed the glass in one gulp, as I'm more of the micro beer kind of guy and don't appreciate the finer complexities of vintage wine.

A friends dad hired me to build him a cellar out on his Sauvie Island property, and as I was helping him fill the redwood racks with his wine bottles, he showed me a vintage 1960 bottle of Baron De Rothchilds Chateau LaFit which he said was worth over $900.00.
He had over two cases of the stuff and I asked him if it was any good. He said that he didn't know because he hadn't tasted it and only used it as a charitable tax write off for high end charity auctions.
He then opened a $45.00 bottle and told me that I couldn't tell the difference and neither could he, so why waste $850.00.
Sad thing is, later on in his life he battled with acute dementia, and for some reason he turned off the climate controlled air conditioner, and most of those cases of high end wine turned sour.
$80,000 worth of vintage wine was poured on the ground.

Usually they say if it's more than a $20-30 bottle of wine it can age, less than drink it soon.
I love wine, don't drink often though, but I can't tell you the difference between a $10 bottle and a $100 bottle.

But even though I'm not mathlete, I know I can buy 10 bottle of $10 wine for the same price as the higher one.

The best wine I've ever tasted came from the South of France and was produced from a single row of grape vines by a family living on a very old and large estate.
The little end row had been bequeathed to them over two hundred years ago for their service to the estate.
A friend of mine bought back two bottles and we drank one and he's saving the other for when his daughter gets married.

1989 was a good year for Spain. Personally I get hangovers from Spanish wines but they taste good!
<broken link removed>

I prefer California Cabs and Australian Shiraz's but I will admit I have a full Vinotech 320QT in my study and multiple cases on the floor surrounding it which is why I knew about Robert Parker & his online vintage chart

1989 was a good year for Spain. Personally I get hangovers from Spanish wines but they taste good!
<broken link removed>

I prefer California Cabs and Australian Shiraz's but I will admit I have a full Vinotech 320QT in my study and multiple cases on the floor surrounding it which is why I knew about Robert Parker & his online vintage chart

Thanks for that chart!! It's the closest thing I've found besides some reviews of a Gran Rioja to what I have.

Hahahahahaha

Not much a drinker of anything other than juice and water with the occasional soda.

What can I say?

:s0002::s0002::s0002::s0002::s0002:

Heh. No this is actually mine. Someday I'll find a reason to crack it open. Some day. I mean hell if I have had that Rioja for 18 years now and never touched it... I'm patient.

:)
All in good fun.

image.jpg
Momento from our 10 year anniversary trip in Puerto Vallarta.

image.jpg

Do it justice! Open it an hour before you drink it and make sure it's room temp. When you open it pour about 3 ounces into a glass so air gets to the wine in the bottle. A reserve RED wine will easily last for 20 years of the cork holds. 2 things kill wine -heat and light. Older reds will have a distinct flavor an the color will show a little brickeshness (brown) around the upper edge in the glass. This is OK! I have had 50 year old Latours that when 1st opened we thought might have been gone but by giving them 20 minutes they were amazing! CAREFUL with the cork when opening it!!! If you use a corkscrew, go all the way through the cork because the bottom of the cork (closest to the wine) on older bottle can break off easily. Nurse the cork out, don't bully it or it may crumble. If ya smell mushroomy gym socks it's bad but it should still be good!
Enjoy, I'm envious;);)

Do it justice! Open it an hour before you drink it and make sure it's room temp. When you open it pour about 3 ounces into a glass so air gets to the wine in the bottle. A reserve RED wine will easily last for 20 years of the cork holds. 2 things kill wine -heat and light. Older reds will have a distinct flavor an the color will show a little brickeshness (brown) around the upper edge in the glass. This is OK! I have had 50 year old Latours that when 1st opened we thought might have been gone but by giving them 20 minutes they were amazing! CAREFUL with the cork when opening it!!! If you use a corkscrew, go all the way through the cork because the bottom of the cork (closest to the wine) on older bottle can break off easily. Nurse the cork out, don't bully it or it may crumble. If ya smell mushroomy gym socks it's bad but it should still be good!
Enjoy, I'm envious;);)

Thank you very much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews