JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The kind of training you are suggesting here involves shooting first at the first nuance of a threat?

I guess that might be true, if the only training a person does is in a game setting, but when I volunteered to do "Active Shooter" training with Washington County, we had training scenarios with simunitions (which hurt about the same as Airsoft, but also leave a little paint mark) that included people giving up/surrendering or not posing any further threat than they already had (e.g. putting the gun down when commanded or having it sitting just out of reach, like on the floor at their feet, etc), with the purpose being that the LEOs would NOT fire under those conditions (during which, BTW, as I was playing a dead victim, I got shot in the leg by someone who seemed to have a bit of an itchy trigger finger... that was odd. Only happened once though), so if training included both types of scenarios (i.e. shooting required and shooting should be avoided), then, wouldn't that be reasonable training? Seems to me that whether you use Simunitions or Airsoft, you could have similar training scenarios, and then the only difference would seem to be that simunitions also have the sound of shot fired. BTW, Threat Dynamics (http://www.threatdynamics.com/) also has both types of scenarios in their training for both LEO and Civilians. They mentioned one time that most of the time when they get civilians there, for example for a team building event, they tend to run mostly "shooting required" scenarios, as that's what they figure people came there for (shooting), but they can and do run both.

I use the gun in the picture. I have a bullet trap set up, made out of a small box with the back reinforced, then I put targets over the front. I can get 5-7 yards in the house, and my 2.5 year old twins love to sit in my lap and plink with me. It lets me keep my point shoot skills semi-honed, as well as trigger discipline.

It's not perfect, but I can re-use the "bullets" and it introduces my girls to some form of safety.

2013-04-19215516_zps5f174cd6.jpg

A good airsoft rifle costs more than a Ruger 10/22 and a few bricks of ammo. Ridiculous. Sure airsoft might be better than nothing, but it's like saying a go-kart is practice for the Indy 500.

Save a couple hundred bucks, buy some steel targets on eBay, and get out into the forest and shoot. No bench rest, no shooting mat. Have a friend set up targets at unknown distances. Practice shooting and moving to a new position and firing again. See how you shoot after sprinting up a hill with a plate carrier and 6 mags. See how you shoot after skipping breakfast and lunch.

The one in my post above was $40, 8 or 9 years ago.

I know what you are saying about getting out in the woods and shooting, but as a disabled vet, with a family, and a very fixed income, I cant justify doing that. We barely get through a month, let alone adding trips to the woods, or the outrageous membership and range fees that they seem to want up here,

I had plenty of practice running and gunning in the military. I know how that affects my shooting, as well as hunger. Though, I've done a bit more than the average guy, over the years.

That pistol, lets me shoot from odd positions, inside the house, around corners, or even for accuracy. Plus it's a good time killer.

Yeah, I'm interested in one of the hot rod supersonic jobs that would dump a deer if needed, in a SHTF type situation. I have done zero research at this point. A 22 would make the most sense, but I know they are doing some really impressive stuff with the 177.

The one thing I liked about airsoft we can practice someone braking in and stuff like that. It was one of the ways I taught my wife that you do not have time to put a round in the chamber if someone is pushing in the front door. Point blank training is one of the most under trained shoot and fire situations and airsoft makes it much easier. I have lots of friends that shoot paper twice a month but never practice someone grabbing you or kicking in your door. We use to use paintball but the wife did not like the pain or a few things that got broke. When she got hit to many times she stopped training. Now with airsoft she still complains about it but will do it. Her fast aiming has gotten much better thanks to airsoft guns. If you have friends that like to train. You can have them over for barbecue and have them be the bad guys so you two can practice working as a team. Two shooters are much better than one. When you train you train as if it is real. You only shoot when you have to. Remember you will react how you train and the more you train the better you will be.

I've found Airsoft replicas to be useful for gun handling-type drills (such as drawing from concealment and reholstering without looking, particularly when getting used to a new holster or a new carry position) and also for draw-and-shoot scenarios to keep up with trigger discipline, etc. For actual shooting? They're entertaining, but I don't see them as any sort of replacement for range time with your carry piece.

You guys need to read the book Combat Shooting With Massad Ayoob. He talks about how IDPA and other "gamey" disciplines contribute significantly to ones survival in a gunfight scenario amongst other things. I played pro paintball in Cali for a couple years, and even though it was a game it taught me how to take cover, shoot, return fire etc. under stress. Even though its a game, it teaches A LOT. Id shoot and train with airsoft any day of the week. How else are you gonna do force on force training? Ill take someone who shoots IDPA, airsoft, paintball over someone who just sits here and talks crap on their computer any day of the week. (Cough, cough, coop44....) On the same note coop, have you trained (enough) to be able to draw/shoot someone if need be? Do you know, or do you muscles know what to do automatically in a situation like that? Is practicing drawing, sight alignment, trigger control not good training that you not recommend? (You could those things with airsoft in your home.) Why? Do you carry concealed like most of us do? Do you shoot competition? Why is this not good training? Do you practice?

No one said airsoft should take the place of range time but it has its uses for training to. simple test pick up your fire arm and unload it now walk around the the house trying to keep a combat sight picture it is not as easy as you think if you have never tryed to move and shoot "Accurately" not just spray downrang that would kill bystanders. Training is Important and you do not have to be at the Range to train with an airsoft it is just one more tool in the shed to make you a better shooter. solong as you remember it is one tool in many

Holy cow.........it's a game, people do it to have fun. It gets people off their butts and does something most of us did as kids. Remember the m-16 that you pulled the trigger and the gun made noise. We played war all the time. If we would had airsoft, it would have been great. But I have heard Hillsboro reaction team gets their butts beat by a bunch of teenagers all the time.....just heard through the grapevine

I am going to have to agree some what with Coop, being shooting is nearly 90% mental and 10 physical. I find it hard to get into airsoft. I think it may be a Gen-gap thing as I am cool with BB guns and grew up with them outside of wrsit-rockets it was my first weapons until firearms. I say Gen-gap cause my 18year old who is the youngest likes air-soft and has bbguns and firarms, but really wants an airsoft.

Lucky you didn't shoot your eye out!
With Bloomberg still ranting, if we are not careful this is what will be left in the way of firearms.
Silver Hand

Yeah, I think a high power pellet rifle is my next step too. Just trying to decide on caliber.

I've been shooting high velocity pellet rifles and pistols for over 40yrs now. They are excellent for trigger control, site picture and calling your shots. Probably not so good for FOF training though! Oh yeah, don't forget pest control! Killing a rat is a bigger thrill than one might think!

Thanks for serving! I hope your wound does not impact your life too badly!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top