JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My boys just invested pretty heavily into airsoft and I will be purchasing a G&G Raider next week. The higher end models are very realistic and what a good way to keep up with training with the cost of ammo these days. I have used them in force on force training a quite a bit. Just curious if there are people that have thought about it? I can tell you the BBs hurt and it's not just for kids.

Here's a great youtube channel for those interested. https://www.youtube.com/user/scoutthedoggie/videos?view=0

I've done a lot of airsoft, and really enjoy it. If you treat it like the real thing, and force yourself to act that way it can be both great training and good physical exercise.

Where it broke down for me is that the airsoft rifles and pistols are not as reliable as the real thing. That always frustrates me. Even if you dump a lot of money into the sport it is still really difficult to get anywhere near the reliability.

If you can overcome that, it can be a lot of fun. The Portland area has a huge player base, and usually one or two events a month during the spring, summer and fall.

Me and the wife set up some targets in the garage. Its good for basic handling drills and such and you don't have to go to the range. The cats also love chasing the airsoft bb's around the floor of the garage...

I have a KWA M4 and I love that it's as real as can be and yet I can shoot cans in my backyard. 400fps and surprisingly accurate with a red dot.

Airsoft and computer games are really what got me into real firearms.

There is a playfield in Gales Creek, OR that has airsoft events that I go to quite often. A lot of people gear up in camo, plate carriers... the full loadout. It is fun because there are usually team objectives and you get to engage other people while using tactics and getting physically active.

Yes, the guns tend to break more often than you'd like, and don't expect much distance from them. But ages young and old come out, with various firearm replicas, and most everyone are incredibly friendly.

I guess if I was 12 years old it would be fun, I believe in "practice what you carry". If an airsoft was a viable defense weapon I would carry one. A toy. If you believe otherwise, I gotta bridge on I5 I'll sell you.

I guess if I was 12 years old it would be fun, I believe in "practice what you carry". If an airsoft was a viable defense weapon I would carry one. A toy. If you believe otherwise, I gotta bridge on I5 I'll sell you.

This statement is just plain ignorance. Sorry....

I was just talking with someone yesterday about this. Sure, it's a toy gun. To think otherwise is foolish. But the potential benefits of practicing with one should not be ignored.

Inexpensive
Able to shoot in the house/garage/backyard
Ammo is available
Hand/eye coordination
Developing familiarity with sight picture
Muscle memory
Drawing from concealment
Kids can play and learn proper firearm safety
And yes, you can do force on force without getting killed

I am sure there are other potential benefits, but those are just off the top of my head.

Allow me to ask a dumb question, but what are the main differences between airsoft and bb?

In general Airsoft uses a 6mm plastic or bio-degradable BB which fires at about 300 fps to 500 fps. (fps =feet per second)

Commonly called BB guns use BBs which are copper (or other type of metal) about 4.7mm and fire at all sorts of different speeds.

There are other differences, but those are the main ones.

Allow me to ask a dumb question, but what are the main differences between airsoft and bb?

Also, just to expand on what was said above. Airsoft guns (not the kind at sporting stores) often mimic the real thing. They are more replica's than kids toys. Getting hit with airsoft isn't pleasant but with the proper clothing, eye pro you can get hit and not cry :s0114:. Eye pro is a must as they surely can cause severe permanent damage to eyes, break teeth, etc... The guns themselves are accurate in detail to their real bullet companions. This allows people to get valuable training such as sight alignment, trigger control, mag changes, movement, cover, concealment, anything that you could do with a real gun, but at less distance. And the big bonus, you can shoot at each other.

One thing to remember with airsoft is concealment often means cover, where as real guns would simply shoot through the concealment. So keeping that in mind, it's great training. Just remember it's limitations. I can tell you that the Airsoft M4 SBR will accept all of my attachments of my real M4 SBR allowing me to get more use out of my gear at a fraction of the cost of shooting 5.56 or .22 for that matter. You can make it as real as you want and get some great training.

This allows people to get valuable training such as sight alignment, trigger control, mag changes, movement, cover, concealment, anything that you could do with a real gun, but at less distance. And the big bonus, you can shoot at each other.

After playing in several skirmishes, I found myself improving a lot on all of these aspects. On top of that it gives you the pressure of being shot at. It can be challenging to still function well under the stress of other people trying to shoot at you.

Granted, you can get this type of action playing paintball. But paintball is messy, and the guns are unrealistic.

After running through the "Adjudicator" a couple times out at OFA...doing some reading online, I agree there can be some benefits to using airsoft, as Spray-n-pray pointed out above.

I have a KWA G19, it is near identical to my Glock, including painted front sight, grip tape, fits all my holsters, fits my light and is only 4oz lighter than my loaded Glock.

Muscle memory, clearing clothing, drawing/presenting...Sure you dont get the recoil/sound and the break isn't quite the same BUT I feels its still a valid form of training.

And my 11yo daughter while she likes shooting in the woods....cans in the backyard are also a good time.

Travis Haley on Airsoft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87uj5_2hEGk

force on force training= one step up from running around, pointing your finger and "pew pew you're it!"

If you want to train like a LEO, fine.

If I had a traumatic brain injury I coulda been a cop too.

Sort of like the reason they carry glocks and I don't, why would I want a gun "any idiot could use"?

force on force training= one step up from running around, pointing your finger and "pew pew you're it!"

If you want to train like a LEO, fine.

If I had a traumatic brain injury I coulda been a cop too.

Sort of like the reason they carry glocks and I don't, why would I want a gun "any idiot could use"?

Just to save you a search on Google. :s0155:

[h=1]Four stages of competence[/h]

1. Unconscious incompetence The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognise their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage.[2] The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.[3]
  2. Conscious incompetence Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.[4]
  3. Conscious competence The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.[3]
  4. Unconscious competence The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Knee jerk reaction, that explains a lot ,but not all. Rote memorization and muscle memory explains, given the proper stimulus either internally or externally (usually a founded or unfounded fear) that most leos immediately escalate a situation to homicide. Of course the "Never go to jail card" helps too, knowing there are no consequences to any action taken. Of course that would fall under your definition #4. I'm making a supposition here, you consider this a good thing? The kind of training you are suggesting here involves shooting first at the first nuance of a threat?

Of course not one of of us ever spent time in class studying the neurology of psychology.

getting well away from the original posts question, the answer is no. it is not good training and I would not recomend it.

It only makes it easier to point a gun at people without concious thought. When I pull a gun I want it to be with the one thought "I am going to stop this mother bubblegumer". Not, "I am going to win this 'game' ".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top