JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I might have jumped the gun posting this thread this soon. Looks like I need to reanalyze my needs and re-prioritize shopping.

Gunner thanks for the input. I believe your wisdom runs both wide and deep on these issues. Everything at the 'ranch' is pretty much '1947 Pioneer' and the biggest reason for wanting a portable solar generator was for the freezer and refrigerator. Back to the drawing board.

I am still shopping for one and if I can get the vendor to sell it at a reduced price for a group buy, I will post it and keep everybody up to date.

SF

I think I might have jumped the gun posting this thread this soon. Looks like I need to reanalyze my needs and re-prioritize shopping.

Gunner thanks for the input. I believe your wisdom runs both wide and deep on these issues. Everything at the 'ranch' is pretty much '1947 Pioneer' and the biggest reason for wanting a portable solar generator was for the freezer and refrigerator. Back to the drawing board.

I am still shopping for one and if I can get the vendor to sell it at a reduced price for a group buy, I will post it and keep everybody up to date.

SF

Well has gotten people thinking and alternative options posted so it is still a worthwhile thread.

OK, FWIW, Home Depot and others have complete 400w wind generator systems for about $1k. The tower is a single pipe with guy wires; by far the most efficient tower type there is, and also the easiest to install.

The trouble is, you need at least a ten mph wind to start (excite) one and after that at least 5mph to put out any (puny) power. However, with a 20 - 30 mph wind you're golden.

You still couldn't depend on it for things such as food storage in a freezer, but it might be nice for luxuries such as an electric light, small battery charging, radio, etc. instead of having nothing.

It would charge large batteries (AGM preferred) from which you would draw. You could either get a 110v ac inverter, or buy things at an RV dealer including light bulbs which run on 12v. I'd prefer the inverter.

I'm still trying to think how the pioneers lived in "The Little House On The Prairie" with no modern conveniences. At least what they had was sustainable.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads