JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been shopping around for a solar generator for awhile now and I have narrowed my choice down to two companies. Later today I am going to call and find out the price, but I am going to ask how many for a bulk purchase to get the price break.

I am thinking of setting up a "NWFA Coupon" so there wouldn't be a need to ship X number of generators to one house and the forum member can deal directly with the vendor.

I will post the price and link later today.

SF-

After reviewing various companies I am going to purchase a Solar Stick from these guys: <broken link removed> I am looking for the following features:

1. Made in the U.S.A.
2. Portable
3. Rugged
4. Proven to work effectively in remote locations
5. Simplicity

When I went to call I got the after hours voice mail so I will try again in the morning. They don't list there prices (probably as per the GSA contract) on their web sight so who knows.

I know with the economy and all this may be the last piece of equipment one might be shopping for, but if I can swing a deal for NWFA, I think it would be worth it.

If somebody knows of another Solar Generator that meets my five requirements please post it here. All the one's I have found so far use Chinese solar panels. I have nothing against the Chinese I am just tired of seeing working Americans out of work and the U.S. slowly turn into France.

Thanks.

SF-

I think you will be "shocked" when you get the price! $4000 to $5000 for 100 watts.

The way to do solar and only partially loose your rear is to do it on your home and get as much government and power company tax credit rebates as you can.

I think you will be "shocked" when you get the price! $4000 to $5000 for 100 watts.

The way to do solar and only partially loose your rear is to do it on your home and get as much government and power company tax credit rebates as you can.

Did you already get a price quote from these guys before?

SF-

I had the cheaper amorphous panel set-up like you see at Costco or Harbor Freight. 65w or so for $300 or so. The output was never at the full rating, and by the end of the first year of use, the output was almost half of what it was when the panels were new.

Costco had a really basic two panel system (I dont remember the watts) for around 200, toss in a couple of 12v batts, stand, and a chepo 79.99 car inverter special from best buy and you'll be in about as good of shape I would think.

Here's the system I was thinking 60w and 299. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

That one's for a Motorhome so it should be great for a small cabin/tent/motorhome for a survival sit

I hope this may help

I happen to work for a local Solar Manufacturer. I am in the Facility Maintenance side of the industry but from what we are told by management that there are different grades of Panels. They are called A,B, and C with A panels being the best. From what the company advertises are the C Panels are just handicapped low power output (made in China) this is what you will find in most of the local stores. The difference between the A and B panels are cosmetic same power output. The company I work for advertised to us to buy home kits that was only offered to employees that reside in Oregon. From what I got from a few people that actually installed these on there home, it will take 10-15 years to get any kind of return.

I realize that most of you guys are just looking for the power if the SHTF but I thought I would throw this out there

I have thought about installing Panels on the house but I want to get the return down to around the 5 year time frame

I love the idea of solar power personally (barring any catastrophe that would block out the sun) for SHTF, but thousands of dollars for (at current technology) 16% efficient cells, its just not quite worth it yet.

Live near a river or stream, setup a ye-ol'-fashioned water wheel hooked up to a car alternator (or something purpose-built) and hook it to batteries.

wind-swept fields? windmills with similar hookups.

if i had the money i'd go into the generator plan, but i dunno if solar efficiency (the key part of price usually) will improve in the next few years.

...random rant >.>; sorry, i like solar, just wish it wasn't so damn expensive still.

how big are your AGM batteries raven?
the 2 major costs with solar setups are the cells and the batteries. quick charging (solar expense) or long-lasting (battery expense) is what you usually have to weigh.
but yes small solar setups is relatively cheap, comparitively. but to run a house or large property you'll be paying alot.

and the setups i described are sadly just other strategies i heard for power generation, corrosion wouldn't be a huge issue with innovative casing (i'm thinking in SHTF scavenging terms) an ammo box with holes for the shaft and wires with marine sealant and duck tape...
for an official home setup i'd want purpose-built stuff I can buy of course.

SF, My plans are in a whole different direction. I'm trying to think of adjusting to how the pioneers lived. I think it's more sustainable. I do believe in a wind-up radio and a wind-up flashlight just because we have them now, but otherwise I don't want to depend on electricity.

You can stock up on rechargeable batteries for flashlights etc., and get a hand cranked charger.

Those solar panels and batteries will die with age, and cost a lot up front if they have enough power to do a lot of good.

Think of how much in the way of other things you could stock up on for the same money...

$.02

Solar is a great idea but it takes to long to make it pay for itself. If SHTF it will be broken with a rock or bigger. Way way to many problems with the idea for me. I'm sure it would work for a few people in a few specific situations though. I've been thinking of the alternator and voltage regulator idea for a while. I think that's the most cost effective way to play around and you get the most return for your dollar.

The PNW isn't known for having lots of sunny days. We have more sun down here, but we also get a good stiff breeze almost every afternoon. A wind generator (alternator) to charge batteries and an inverter would interest me, maybe. You can get plans and kits and put out a lot more power on the cheap if you have wind. I think as with solar, you'd have to get used to your batteries going dead if nature didn't cooperate. ??

$.02

As I look outside at the nominal-to-nada sunlight hitting the valley, I'd agree.

Where we'd be going if SHTF, the isn't much wind, but a strong creek next to it. The water wheel-alternator/purpose-built generator idea is more appealing honestly. water's gonna flow, and yeah batteries die, you can pick up more outta cars or such, by the time the battery supply runs dry, you should be able to have yourself pretty well setup to live independently if need be, if you're smart about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top