JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it depends on the person's attitude. I grew up shooting then went into the Army, after which I went into the Marine's and had to do boot camp. Marine marksmanship training is significantly more intense than Army training, but I kept an open mind and absorbed all that I could. Ended up as the Company High Shooter. That was a very regimented institutional setting though. Again, I think it's all about attitude and willingness.

I think it depends on the person's attitude. I grew up shooting then went into the Army, after which I went into the Marine's and had to do boot camp. Marine marksmanship training is significantly more intense than Army training, but I kept an open mind and absorbed all that I could. Ended up as the Company High Shooter. That was a very regimented institutional setting though. Again, I think it's all about attitude and willingness.
Favorite gun

Here is a long-ish (32 min) video from a couple years ago. It's of a young Japanese guy who had never handled a firearm before, but dry-fired trained with airsoft equipment, and most likely a lot of research. A training company brought him over to the States, the vid shows what happened next. He definitely has skills.

My AF dad did a fair amount of gun training during WWII. He told me women were the easiest to train to shoot. He said they learned faster because they usually had no experience, so listened and did as instructed. The men with the most gun experience were most difficult to train. They were all ego involved and macho about it and wanted to do it their way, even though their way was not taking them as far as they now needed to go.

My AF dad did a fair amount of gun training during WWII. He told me women were the easiest to train to shoot. He said they learned faster because they usually had no experience, so listened and did as instructed. The men with the most gun experience were most difficult to train. They were all ego involved and macho about it and wanted to do it their way, even though their way was not taking them as far as they now needed to go.

As a former Army Drill Sgt I can testify to this, but there's also one other quotient to the mix…. the male brain (young ones in particular) are distracted approximately every six seconds with one thought…. "BOOBIES!"

I was once a young male in Army basic training and can also testify to that.

I will say C) is usually the most difficult. Many, not all, are very fixed in their ways. When the conversation begins with, "I've been shooting for (fill in the blank) years," it's going to be a challenge to share information. I've seen the video posted above and it is pretty cool. NRA talks about "Knowledge, Skills & Attitude" with attitude being the most important...I would agree completely.

It's interesting to go to a shooting school and see people completely reject the concepts being taught after throwing down good money. The schools that I've attended have universally said look, give our approach a try, practice with it and then take what works for you and leave the rest...but at least try it while you are here. The first two groups you note will almost always go with this.

That has been my experience as well. When I worked at a shooting range as a trainer the women absorbed everything and were great students, and great shooters too!

As a former Army Drill Sgt I can testify to this, but there's also one other quotient to the mix…. the male brain (young ones in particular) are distracted approximately every six seconds with one thought…. "BOOBIES!"

I was once a young male in Army basic training and can also testify to that.
Why am I not surprised to find out you were an Army Drill Sgt?
:p

A and B for me - but I'll add saying that ego is best removed from the classroom. Where kids are involved, sometimes that means the parents.

High expert congrats- what was your score?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top