JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a very unusual rifle (Indonesian M1954 in .303 British) in my collection but have found the muzzle is apparently shot out (doesn't pass the so-called bullet test, for example, and not because it's already counterbored). The rifling otherwise seems in ok condition. Since counterboring was a common practice that some militaries relied on to remedy shot-out muzzles, I was wondering if there are any gunsmiths that do that kind of work.

I sure any with a lathe can or any machine shop if you are willing to wait while they do it.

Just because it is worn and swallowed a bullet doesn't mean it won't hit a man sized target at 100 yards. I tested four old milsurp rifles yesterday for function and accuracy. The one with essentially no rifling the last three inches shot about the same as a new barrel. The others that looked better with much less wear grouped 2-3x larger. I would only counter bore as a last resort if I could find no other way to fix tumbling bullets. It causes a loss in value over just a worn out barrel.

I'm curious, what does a "shot out" muzzle mean? Is the last portion of the rifling is gone? Or is this something to do with the crown?

I have seen counterbored rifles, I have one, I always thought it was performed to fix a beat up muzzle. Not rifling. Like military rifles that bounced around for 10-20 years and the front ends were all but destroyed.

I have a very unusual rifle (Indonesian M1954 in .303 British) in my collection but have found the muzzle is apparently shot out (doesn't pass the so-called bullet test, for example, and not because it's already counterbored). The rifling otherwise seems in ok condition. Since counterboring was a common practice that some militaries relied on to remedy shot-out muzzles, I was wondering if there are any gunsmiths that do that kind of work.
Where do you live? A resident Gun Smith up around Estacada could likely handle that.
@Velzey "Tim Copeland Gun Works"

I sure any with a lathe can or any machine shop if you are willing to wait while they do it.

Just because it is worn and swallowed a bullet doesn't mean it won't hit a man sized target at 100 yards. I tested four old milsurp rifles yesterday for function and accuracy. The one with essentially no rifling the last three inches shot about the same as a new barrel. The others that looked better with much less wear grouped 2-3x larger. I would only counter bore as a last resort if I could find no other way to fix tumbling bullets. It causes a loss in value over just a worn out barrel.
I suppose I should have added it does keyhole, so it isn't just a question of larger groups than I'd want.

Had a few m1 carbines that I bought cheap because of " shot out" muzzles, actually the result of vigorous use of sectional cleaning rods. Cut them back 1/8 to1/4 inch and recrowned them, passed the bullet test after that and returned them to accurate little carbines. Had one that I cut back to 16", of course recut the front sight keyway and put a non baynet lug carbine band on it (type 2). It was pretty cool.
Back when you could buy a carbine cheap, oh well.

I have a Winchester 190 that had a bulged barrel.
I was able to make a bore size (.218) pilot for a 5/16ths counter-bore, and cut the bore in a little over an inch. As the bulge was about four inches down, I then used a new 5/16ths drill bit to cut the bore past the bulge; the bit cut a clean new crown.
It shoots exceptional well now!

Joe

Unless you're Angelina Jolie, poor shooting doesn't keyhole.
But what if you're Iranian Zombie Angelina Jolie??
Screen-Shot-2018-07-27-at-4.53.11-PM.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top