JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What can an owner do that affects reliability has a lot to do before they step up to the line.

With 1911's, there are generally two things you have to understand, what bullets does this 1911 like, that has a lot to do with the barrel and ramp/no ramp type. And what magazines work with the 1911, because again, not all 1911's are designed equally.

I see a lot of newer owners of 1911's buy decent 1911's, then go to the gun show and buy a bunch of used GI mags and wonder why they are having FTF's. Glocks, there are primarily only Glock mags so it's hard to screw that up. But a lot of people fail to understand how to properly put one together, and if put together incorrectly, you will experience a lot of locking back issues.

There also comes the pont of maintenance. Because there isn't as much slop in a 1911, there are particular area's you need to keep clean, and area's in both guns you should not over clean. I onced witnessed a guy at a range cleaning his Glock with Windex and was using a hammer to push his pins out. (why I don't buy used from someone I don't know)

As for $600, the Glocks I have seen locally go for 549-599. I bought one of my used G17's for $479. But I was generalizing.

Thanks for the info! I can see where both of those things can cause problems.

That's crazy, a hammer and Windex?

I've seen new Glock's at Keith's and Gun Broker for $525, and I bought mine LNIB with night sights for $425 (though it was on consignment and I'm sure they got it for next to nothing). $600 just sounds like so much more money than $575 :D

im glad this has turned into a popular thread!

my main issue with the glock, well 2 issues is this:

1. when i pull the trigger after sighting in, i dont like the fact that it that the gun "expands". i mean feels like it expands as in its going to explode or come apart. maybe this is because its a "plastic" gun, maybe not. alls i know is my polymer framed Sig doesnt.

2. shooting the smaller glock (the number escapes me, since there are so many. which is annoying also), its the only gun thats injured me. its taken the skin off my knuckle on my right hand quite a few times, that just doesnt seem right to me.

I didn't even care about looking at Glocks until a fellow investigator at the range loaned me his 19 for the fun of it. I shot so well with it I went out to the showroom and bought the 21 I now carry most of the time.

It's got an awful trigger (what I call the "here ...it...comes..." trigger,) but for some reason I shoot better with it than my Colt 1911.

So yes, I don't not own a Glock.

Me neither.

I have shot several models of Glocks more than enough to know I simply don't care for them. Don't like the grip. Don't like the trigger. Don't like the looks. Don't like the feel. Don't like anything about them except their simplicity and their reliability.

I shoot better with other pistols. So that's that. How much more experience do I need with them and how much more consideration do they need from me before I can be exonerated of prejudice?

Don't like 'em.

Do I own one? Well, technically, yes. I bought it. My wife shoots well with it and likes it.

Man do I feel left out:s0131:...My po ole Model 469.....No one makes a laser sight...or fancy grips...Boo Hoo!:( It does fit my hand though and it shoots straight. (12 times):p I guess I'll have to settle for that.:s0155:

Glock's are the hot topic right now, and have been for a while. Mainly because of their simplicity, ease of operation, price and reliability. I have three Glocks; G22(.40), G21SF(.45) and G30(.45). I also have a Taurus PT92(9mm), a Kimber Custom II (full size 1911 style) and various other firearms.

All of these serve different purposes, just like different tools in your garage. For me, if I were going to an accuracy competition, I would use either the Kimber or the Taurus. Speed and agility competition, I would rather use my Glock. Concealed carry? Probably the G22 or G30.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I like Glock's a lot, but I also like others too.

I don't own one nor have I ever shot one. I'm one of those gaa-it-feels-so-clunky when I pick it up guys.

I'll happily burn through some ammo of anyone wants to change my mind.:gun10:

Ok, I know I got into this thread late, and I didn't read what everyone else posted, but I still will throw in my $.02. Personally, I do not own any glocks. I did purchase an XD40, and that was a great weapon, but here is where I am different. I shoot pistols left-handed. I liked the XD, but since I was going to spend so much money on an autopistol, I wanted just the right one. I eventually sold the XD in favor of the M&P40, which is great. Yes, i know the XD has ambi mag release, but only righty slide catch (S&W is both with a reversible mag release). However, if glock made pistols that a lefty would not have to adjust to operate, I would own a glock 23 anyday. Every glock I have ever fired has proved to be a solid, reliable weapon.

Ok, I know I got into this thread late, and I didn't read what everyone else posted, but I still will throw in my $.02. Personally, I do not own any glocks. I did purchase an XD40, and that was a great weapon, but here is where I am different. I shoot pistols left-handed. I liked the XD, but since I was going to spend so much money on an autopistol, I wanted just the right one. I eventually sold the XD in favor of the M&P40, which is great. Yes, i know the XD has ambi mag release, but only righty slide catch (S&W is both with a reversible mag release). However, if glock made pistols that a lefty would not have to adjust to operate, I would own a glock 23 anyday. Every glock I have ever fired has proved to be a solid, reliable weapon.

I'm left-handed and find that most "standard" "right-handed" firearms work best for me as-is.

As for the magazine release and slide lock... I've always just used my trigger finger (left index finger) for them. This way I'm also not having to turn the gun in my hand to get to the controls.

I'm not saying that you have to go with the pistol designed for whichever hand you use, just that it works for me. After all, I thought this thread was soliciting opinions on glocks. All I wanted to do was explain the reason I don't own one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top