JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jon, I have a Springfield.

Jeff, I hate to say it but after I shot yours and Joey's I don't have a ton of interest in them. I liked an awful lot about it, but I'm far to used to the SA trigger of my 1911. I hated having to remind myself to release the trigger to get it to reset after each shot.

Skud - agreed. I'm assuming that people actually shoot their guns as much as they should. ;) Especially since Glock's seem to be a popular carry gun! All the same, their internals just don't hold up to other guns specs it would seem.

I missed that comment about the Glock internals :s0063:

Like Sun said, in a SHTF scenario I would grab my G19. When it comes to the reliability of 1911's vs the reliability of Glock, Sig, HK, etc. you'll see the 1911 gets beat pretty bad. I've never heard of the internals needing to be replaced until you get way up there in the round count, and if they did need it there are Glock armorers at alot of the competitions that'll do it right there for free :s0155:

All that said, I haven't carried my Glock since I tried the 1911 :D

Lol I just said I carry a 1911 now. I'd be willing to bet the difference in performance and reliability between our 1911's and Steve's 1911's is night and day.

Jeff, I hate to say it but after I shot yours and Joey's I don't have a ton of interest in them. I liked an awful lot about it, but I'm far to used to the SA trigger of my 1911. I hated having to remind myself to release the trigger to get it to reset after each shot.

its ok, its like beer to a youngster, ya gotta acquire a taste for it. after that its all down hill from there.

and what do you mean remind yourself to release the trigger? i dont know of any gun that you dont release the trigger on for the next shot.

When it comes to the reliability of 1911's vs the reliability of Glock, Sig, HK, etc. you'll see the 1911 gets beat pretty bad.

Given the fact that the 1911 has been around before the Glock 17 was even a twinkle in Gaston's eye, likely before he was even born, of course you will hear of more failures from a pistol that was designed almost 100 years ago. And just the sheer amount of exposure it's gotten from military, police and enthusiest. Compile that with the multitude of manufacturers whos toleranences are all different, there will be some unfavorable deviation to the design that can affect how the design is perceived.

Glock is manufactured by one company. A 1911 can be any of multitude of companies. Of course the Glock design will be more controlled tolerance wise.

But pick up a 1911 from someone that knows a 1911 half decent and you will find there is not much difference in terms of reliability between the two. I have seen plenty of Glocks choke in competition, from some very competent shooters.

There was a thread on GlockTalk a few weeks back were they held a 1000 round, No BS competition. The top winners in the competition were held by 1911's. No BS means, regardless of failure, no click, your out of the running.

Most of the failures I see with 1911's in competition come from newer shooters, or new gun owners. Most if not all of the more seasoned 1911 shooters guns run almost flawlessly.

Yeah, I think I may have overstated that a little bit. Though, from what I've seen at the ranges and heard from people who have owned 1911's, it seems like in my experience they have more problems in general. I fully understand how difficult it is to compare a gun made by one company and the 1911, with so many manufacturers.

The 1911's you've seen and the ones in the GT thread, did price point have a factor or were they pretty much throughout the spectrum? Did they have any reliability work, or were they out of the box?

I'm not arguing with you, just curious :D

dude, I love educated debates, not arguements.

No specifics were given outside of the scores and gun models, so I can't tell you indefinitely without speculating. But a lot of how a gun runs has a direct correlation with the owner and gun type.

I have defended both sides, you can see that in this forum. I own just as many Glocks, as I do 1911's. But there are many misconceptions I see in my eye's that sometimes need to be talked about. Like the reliability of both guns. Bottom line, neither in my eye's are far more superior to either in terms of reliability in the hands of someone that knows how to keep their guns running.

Out of the box, general public, a much more simpler and user friendly design like the Glock will suit most general publics limited knowledge of gun design and function. But a design that's a little more complex, the 1911 pattern will require more attention and in turn requires it to be built by a competent manufacturer/smith.

It's hard when you try to compare a lower priced LLama or old, low end Springfield to a Glock. I would though, compare a Glock to say a stock Dan Wesson ($800 1911) That to me would be the closer in comparison based on unit price. It's not exactly as cheap as a Glock ($600) but then again, its hard to compare as Metal is more expensive than plastic, and manufacturing is also more labor intensive then the Glock.

I guess a lot of what it comes down to is the owner type. If you are on a budget, have a limited understanding, nor are intersted in "tinkering" a Glock may be for you. If you do like tinkering, have a little more in budget, have a fairly good comprehension of gun designs and the relationship of parts, and would like to extract as much performance from a gun, the 1911 is a gun for you.

Gun collectors come from every corner of the globe and there is a vast demographics. Although there are some things we can all agree to, we do not all own a gun for the same reason.

1911 vs Glock
Ford vs Chevy
Lee vs Dillon

Chose one and be happy.

Same here, that's how we learn :)

What can an owner do besides watching their wrist, manipulating the slide, and properly seating the mag to keep the gun running?

I'll be the first to admit I have a bug in my brain telling me 1911's are unreliable, I've been trying to get it out for years.

I think one of the main problems with discussing 1911 reliability in general is, like you said, the fact that there are so many manufacturers doing so many different things with the platform. I think it'd be better to compare a particular model with a particular model (Springfield Loaded vs G19, etc.). I have no doubt a $700+ 1911 would be able to compete with a Glock, I'm just not so sure about the models closer to the price of a Glock ($400-$500).

P.S. Where are you paying $600 for a piece of plastic? :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads