JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to see how many turkey hunters are here. Turkey season is a couple of months away and I am getting ready. Jake and Tom is what's for dinner soon. Can't wait. Good luck for those that are going.

Scott

I just got mine yesterday. Looks like it will be my first hunt in Oregon:s0155: Any tips on where to go, or anybody looking for a partner? If there is anyone, pm me and we'll figure out a time to meet up in person to talk about it.

Good luck with your hunt. I can't offer any advice to where to go since I have never hunted in Oregon. But since I have to head east I am betting you will most likely have to do the same.

Scott

I am going for my first time ever this year south of Roseberg with my brother and a buddy of his. If anybody wants to hook up, we will probably go a couple times or until I get my limit.

Keep me posted on how OR is because I am thinking of getting my license there. I think it will cost about $150 all together. So if I am going to spend that much I want it to be good.

Scott

I have 10 acres in Marcola and I've seen flocks of wild turkeys running around out there - are these the type you hunt?
Not sure the neighbors would be too happy about me hunting there though - their house is about 75 yards from the property line.

If it is your land or public and there are no gun laws against shooting there and you have a small game permit plus a turkey tag you are good to go.

Scott

Im thinking about starting to turkey hunt this next up coming year, unless there is a fall season? Can someone answer this question? Also, I was contemplating hunting for turkey in the White River Unit, any suggestions?

Turkeys. The hens are nesting right now. Please be careful. They nest on the ground. They roost in trees, except the hens when they have eggs or chicks. At about 3 months, the chicks are big enough to fly enough to roost in trees too.

The hens here have completely separated from the Toms as they do unless breeding, or unless it's a Jake with them. (Young male.)

The hens which have eggs in a nest have completely separated from the flock, except they may hang out with other nesting hens. They come out morning and evening to eat and drink. Not long after the chicks hatch, here will come the hens with about a dozen tiny chicks in tow, teaching them how to eat and drink. The chicks are very vulnerable to predators right then and they are very cautious and try to stay in the weeds. They have to cross our lawn to get to water.

Turkeys like hardwoods (Oaks here) in grassy areas. That's what's good about the Roseburg area and some areas around here. Don't bother heading into the brushy conifer forests. You might get lucky, but that's not their habitat.

We don't shoot animals on our own property. We enjoy watching them too much. Last year I passed up the biggest 5 point blacktail buck I've ever seen. Big thick wide typical rack and big body. He lived here all Spring and Summer and into hunting season. Then all of the deer disappeared until a couple of weeks ago. I won't know what we have this year until they get well into the velvet.

When you head S. on I-5 there's a point well after Cottage Grove where it's obvious you've left the Willamette Valley and entered S. Oregon. The whole vegetation changes. You begin to see the oaks and grass. There will be patches of timber and turkeys hide in that timber if pressed, but they live in those oaks.

Good Luck! :s0155:

I've posted this before, taken I think last year in the Spring, right out of one of our windows.

DSC00060a.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads