JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have it accessible could you post the source for this? Or at least guide me to a location where it can be found?

Here is a good breakdown of how it works, and it is exactly how my attorney explained it to me after my soon-to-be ex had disposed of a lot of our possessions so she could get a bankroll together to be with her new boyfriend.

<broken link removed>

I agree as well, I was more looking for a general yes or no. That link you provided was a good one and is backed by RCWs.

I was hoping firearms had a special category in community property, but I see no mention of that anywhere. An attorney may be able to completely satisfy my questions and maybe even bring some kind of case, but I didn't win the mega millions last night, so I think it just has to get chalked up to, "That sucks".

So firearms are seen as mutual property between married couples in the eyes of the law? I would have assumed that no other person, barring death and power of attorney, etc., could sell someones firearms legally against that persons will. Wouldn't that, in essence, be stealing?

You can't be arrested for stealing something that you already own !

I'm with you on that, but in this situation, the way I see it and the way the husband sees it matter very little. I'm looking for potential legal ramifications against the gun store and facilitator, not against the wife.

If the "ownership" of the weapons,isn't in writing,the guy is kinda screwed.
Ever hear the story about the wife selling the husband's prize Corvette for $100?
You have to establish who gets what early on or this crap happens.

BTW,two time loser at marraige

Guys,guys,guys,if you even have a HINT there is something wrong,take the guns to Ma and Pa's house.
And tell then she gets nothing.
Heck,sell them to Dad for a buck.

In some states, if the items (any item in general) were purchased prior to the marriage, then the items belong to whomever purchased them. If purchased during the marriage, it can be considered mutual ownership.

During a separation, because legally the two parties are still joined in marriage, these items are still considered to be mutually owned.

But really it depends upon what the state defines what marriage is and what the rights each member has.

TRUE!

Married four times, divorced three times (all in WABTW). Property I had before the marriages were all lumped in as "community property". the ex's and I were allowed to move items back and forth to keep the value close to the same. Even property given to us by my parents was considered "community property" even though gifts are supposed to stay with the person whose family gave them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top