JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who has the better (locally brewed) beer, Oregon or Washington?

• Oregon

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Washington

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
I've gotta say, considering the demographic on this forum, I thought I'd be the only one professing I've not learned to enjoy coal tar beer.

I'm surrounded by folks drinking black beer with a 98% hop content, and they smack their lips while they tell the bartender to pour one more. I secretly think they're pretending, and hiding their grimace from the other folks pretending to like this turpentine.:cool:

My favorite beer from which state? I dunno, a crisp Coors Light with a remarkably fine finish made famous in Colorado, but licensed to be bottled in other states does a really good job.:s0032:

Even more refreshing is a shot of whiskey.:s0074:

CoorsLight.jpeg

I've been to a few places on this world of ours , and have enjoyed many a beer...In some of these places "Micro-brew" or even home brew was the only way to get beer.

Mass produced beer really doesn't do much for my taste buds...So most of the big American breweries and even many , dare I say it , mass imported German or other European beers , taste okay , but , I'd rather have something else.

With that said a beer , any beer , shared with a friend is a good thing.

I had a great Friday night , was sitting around our camp fire , with some friends , talking 'bout guns , history , muzzleloading , the next day's shoot...
All after a great , simple dinner , we were drinking Bud Light...and while that is not even close to what I prefer...
I'd rather do that , than drink the best tasting beer , and not have friends to share it with.
Andy

Speaking as a long-time student of beer and homebrewer, my opinion is that Oregon started on the craft beer journey earlier than Washington and probably still has an edge over Washington. That being said, you can find countless very fine beers in either state. For those of us who like IPAs, this is truly the best of times.

I have an interesting story about a make-believe cowboy smirking at a friend and I drinking Pauwel Kwak at a place called Luke in San Antonio, TX (lived there for quite some time). I really should have bought that guy a Kwak in hindsight.

Who has the bitter beer in the NW out of Oregon and Washington?

BOTH! What do I win?

OH......Neither, most of them have too high IBUs.

I believe I'll have to recuse myself from this one because I only really drink the hard stuff (gin or tequila) and red wine. The few beers I consume even somewhat commonly are from México. For state pride, I really want to say Oregon, but I've encountered too many terrible microbrews from this state over the decades to do so with any degree of honesty. :s0112:
Preferred gin?

Well since I homebrew and my beer is as good or better than most micros or mass produced beers, I say Washington. Also Washington is a prolific hop producer and is responsible for the hops in beers made all around the country.

For those hating on hoppy microbrews, high ibu
(international bittering units) beer can be an aquired taste but it is not hard to make a hoppy full flavored beer that is not bitter. I make one around 30 ibu but backload the hops to late in the boil, flameout, whirlpool and dryhop in fermenter. I end up with a very flavorful hoppy beer with great aroma and low bitterness. I am sure there are some offerings out there like this but I don't know who makes them as I drink very few beers that are not of my own making. Expand your horizons as there are many styles of beer out there to suit all tastes.

If one is so inclined to enjoy beer, especially from microbrews, the answer isn't Oregon or Washington. It's just Bend.
Deschutes, Crux, Boneyard, 10-Barrel, SilverMoon, Cascade, Bend Brewing, and the list goes on.

There are good beers elsewhere, in both states. But Bend has exceptional water. And that makes a difference. Deschutes brews the same beer in portland and in Bend. They do not taste the same. If it's same equipment, same recipes, same ingredients, the water has to be the difference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top