JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for any feedback you might have...what machine do you have? How do you like it? Tips or things to stay away from? Etc.

I realize there are a ton of machines out there ranging from full manual to fully automatic and costing thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. This will be my first machine and I'm looking at the below Semi Auto machine which sells for about $600. Also looking at full auto machines. Don't think I want to spend much more than this but never say never. My coffee addiction runs almost as deep as my gun addiction. I can quit any time!! At least these are the lies I tell myself. :D

<broken link removed>

I have owned several super automatics over the years and currently have a Saeco Intelia deluxe which is about a $900 machine.

I really prefer the super automatics, I like to steam my own milk but other than that its nice to be able to simply push a button in the morning and not have to deal with much else. It makes great coffee and even at $900 I think its a good buy. ( I figure the thing will last about 5 years so even if it only makes one coffee a day thats about $.40/per for the machine. It usually makes about 3 coffee's a day so that price is considerably less)

I bought this last one from Seattle Coffee Gear, the location at Alderwood. Seemed like good folks to buy from, had lots of stuff on hand to look at. Granted the machine I bought at $900 was one of the cheapest in the store.

About 40 years ago some friend gave me a 'camper espresso' set up that delivers a fine cup of very strong coffee simulating 'espresso' closely enough to enjoy once in a while.

I'm of the opinion that the only amendment to 'coffee' of any sort, is whiskey. Since I gave that up long ago, I'm very particular about the actual 'coffee' flavor. Espresso tends to magnify the coffee flavor which I like. Any addition (especially white stuff) detracts from that flavor. YMMV.

The best cup of espresso I ever had, was from a buddy's multi-thousand dollar professional appearing counter top unit (mfg unknown) that brewed a rich cup with proper 'creama' floating to surface.

Good luck in your search.

We have had super automatic espresso machines (Saeco) for many years.

When our last one died (after nearly 10 years) we first went to see if it could be repaired and found a local company that serviced the machines. They told us it wasn't worth repairing but they had a large supply of refurbished high-end machines. The repairer does field service to bars & restaurants for the manufacturer.

We bought one of those 3 years ago - all that was wrong with it was a faulty door switch (that they had already fixed) and had less than 50 cups brewed through it...paid about 1/2 of what a new one would cost. They had about a dozen units already refurbed for sale.

The guy who sold it to us told us that most of the refurbs that they sell are like that - something very minor - usually a sensor or switch - and the manufacturer sells it to the repairer for a small fraction of the list price. These are machines that are typically sold to small restaurants and bars so are at the higher end of the scale.

Something to consider...they make great coffee.

BTW - the lower end machines - and this now includes almost anything under a grand - generally aren't worth repairing when they break so that is something to consider before spending the $$$.

re: ". $3.00 americanos everyday adds up!"

Dutch Bros seems to make that style their version of 'real coffee'. They tell me they only add water to a base
"espresso like" concoction. I don't like their brew as it is too similar to 'French press' quality in that for my taste it lacks character & grit, supplanted by the notion something with similar color/odor can be regarded as 'coffee'. I expect/demand a certain chewiness & body as part of the cup.

A meticulous buddy expresses his OCD via water prep & French press; to me it more resembles 'coffee cologne' than 'coffee'. He of course disagrees.

Being totally uninterested in the 'milk-gargling-wand' aspect of really good espresso makers, I haven't found reason to move to that class of machinery.

Depends on a whole bunch.

If you drink a lot of coffee, then you can't really beat an automatic.

If your good with one or 2 cups (shots) to start your day, then ya, that machine looks good.

...We just got a Costco order of 32lbs of beans yesterday, with I think another 20lbs due later this week. We drink a lot of good coffee.

Can't really go wrong with Saecos line of Automatics (as previously mentioned). Little work horses, which crank out decent shots. We've burned up 2 Saeco's, but they didn't owe us anything given the amount of daily use/abuse they took.

We're now on a Gaggia Breva automatic machine, which is also a work horse. Downside to that machine is smaller water reservoir/puck bin.

I keep my eye on the "Craig" on occasion for automatics, as they do pop up from time to time. That's where we picked up the 2 Saecos, but that was back Boston, with more Colleges students dumping stuff on Craigslist.

--Mind you, automatics/superautomatics will never pull anywhere near a "god shot", but they will put out consistently good shots time after time.--

So if your thinking on getting into trying to pull your best shots, then a manual is the only way to go. If you only want to dabble with that on occasion, not to start your day, then perhaps think on picking up a used manual & a separate grinder. ---I'm not to keen on any manual with an attached grinder anyways---.

I have really hard water where I live, so I only use distilled water in my machine to keep it from scaling inside.
It's an older Krupps pump that's on it's last legs so I'm also on the hunt for a replacement.
My all time favorite medium roast bean blend (Gusto Crema) comes from Italy and I get it at an uptown bistro called Umbria.

I have really hard water where I live, so I only use distilled water in my machine to keep it from scaling inside.
It's an older Krupps pump that's on it's last legs so I'm also on the hunt for a replacement.
My all time favorite medium roast bean blend (Gusto Crema) comes from Italy and I get it at an uptown bistro called Umbria.

You might consider prefiltering your tap water just for convenience sake vs buying distilled. We've used those Brita filters in there jug, which you can keep countertop or put in the fridge (if you have room). Not distilled, but decent.

Haven't looked to much into the cost/benefit of a Zero water branded system, but that might also be worth a look. Supposedly as near to "water" as you can get with out an umpteen thousand $ system, or distilling your own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top