JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 391 86.7%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 60 13.3%

• Total voters
I grew up with a gun rack over my crib then over my bed until I moved out of the house. My dad only had two hobbies. Hunting and fishing. It was a rare day when a trigger was not pulled around our house. Mostly pest control by the house or hunting to feed the family. There was a rifle by every door and hanging in every room. I got away from guns for a short time in my twenties and then got right back into them.

I grew up with a gun rack over my crib then over my bed until I moved out of the house. My dad only had two hobbies. Hunting and fishing. It was a rare day when a trigger was not pulled around our house. Mostly pest control by the house or hunting to feed the family. There was a rifle by every door and hanging in every room. I got away from guns for a short time in my twenties and then got right back into them.
How did you ever manage to survive, guns kill people you know…

it's 10:35 out here in the Lewis River Valley
was out on the porch and heard two packs of coyotes in our area, one down the hill about a half mile away and one up the hill about 100 yrds away
went in the house and got the Mossberg, loaded 3 rnds of bird shot, walked back out on the porch and fired 3 rnds of 12 ga down the field
I don't wear ear protection when I shoot 12 ga out here, because I love to hear the rolling eco, across the hills and down into the river valley, last about 3 sec
it's quiet now, get a glass of wine and sit on the porch, enjoying the silence of the evening

it's 10:35 out here in the Lewis River Valley
was out on the porch and heard two packs of coyotes in our area, one down the hill about a half mile away and one up the hill about 100 yrds away
went in the house and got the Mossberg, loaded 3 rnds of bird shot, walked back out on the porch and fired 3 rnds of 12 ga down the field
I don't wear ear protection when I shoot 12 ga out here, because I love to hear the rolling eco, across the hills and down into the river valley, last about 3 sec
it's quiet now, get a glass of wine and sit on the porch, enjoying the silence of the evening
Educating coyotes and drinking wine is a thing? How about giving them a dirt nap and drinking something a little heavier. :D

Educating coyotes and drinking wine is a thing? How about giving them a dirt nap and drinking something a little heavier. :D
we learned coyotes reproduce to a rate equal to their food supply - kill one and another is born to replace it and they still hunt your land

continually scare them off and the number in the pack does not increase - they only come around every couple of weeks

I'm on the back side of 70 and don't sleep all night - and I keep my bedroom window open - if I hear them in the middle of the night - they get to hear the Mossberg

my old guy liver and pensioner income survives on box Pinot Gris, not hard stuff

Life is good out on the North Fork of the Lewis River

I spent alot of my youth 5 to about 12 with my dad hound hunting before the ban on bear with dogs. He was quite the bear hunter and dog man, super good memories and learned alot out there with him about firearms. My dad never kept firearms a mystery and would never say no if my older brother and I wanted to look at them. He considered this the best method of keeping us safe from going in, investigating and hurting ourselves with somthing that was taboo. My brother and I would clean them and handle them alot and later hunt with them sometimes with him or just my brother and I as I got to be about 12. My brother was like a 2nd dad/ best friend to me so I had two good mentors and both looked after me like hawks 😊. I started on my brothers BB gun about 5 shooting birds in the yard steadily moving up in calibers and game. First big game animal was a black bear from a tree with the 243 of my dad's which is mine now. I've never really been a great hunter or super knowledgeable about gunsmith stuff but shooting I've always been exceptional and my brother is even better both of us have had training in this after my dad's teachings. Even to this day firearms is a strong bond I have with my brother and it helps keep us tight. Thank God for the 🇺🇸 of my youth.

Dad taught me at around 6 about gun safety because we had guns in the house not locked but ready to use. He said always point them down all the time. You can live without a foot, but not without a head. I was going hunting with him at 8 and on. So many good memories of Deer, Elk, Waterfowl, upland birds and all kinds of weather. My Uncle lived on a farm and had his shotgun near the front door at all times because the chicken coop was just outside not far. A few times at breakfast he would crack the door and shoot a fox or Skunk at the coop. The smell of gunsmoke and Bacon...still remember...great times....

The place Wife and I moved too we have a LOT of land around us now. Place is overrun with rabbits right now. Its common to walk outside and see 6 or more that have become quite tame. The problem is this means the Coyotes will sooner or later start to show up again. Would not care about the bunnies and squirrels. Do not want them making a meal out of our dogs though. Sadly really not able to shoot them here. Do have a couple paint ball markers with those hard plastic "riot balls" in them and the .22 cal PCP air rifle. Hoping when the city wild dogs start to show I can at least teach them to stay hell away from our house. Wife long ago was into archery. When packing only house found her two nice bows. Will have to get her some straw bales to practice with. If I can't discourage the dogs with less lethal she can kill them with that safely. Hell I may invest in one of the nicer cross bows or just pull the trigger on a .22 cal can. With that I could drop them and neighbors would never know. :D

We didn't grow up with firearms, but we grew up with tales of hunting with firearms by my uncle and my dad. Dad sold his guns when he moved from very rural Eastern Washington to Portland. My uncle kept his. But they'd always tell stories of firearms, and whenever we were at my uncle's farm outside of town we shot his .22 rifles.
So my two brothers and I all bought guns as soon as we were old enough to buy them. Oldest is mainly a hunter, so only a few guns. Younger brother is strictly a shooter, and has a number of guns he shoots, but no hunting. Then there's me. Always the oddball who overdoes everything, and can never do anything the average way. I started collecting guns right out of high school. Then I started hunting anything I could think of from small game, to deer and elk. And all sorts of upland game birds too.
Next it was collecting even more, and eventually I built a gun room in the house to house my collection, and do all my reloading, casting, and case forming for obsolete cartridges. I've always thought my addiction would somehow level out, but it's as strong as it was 50 years ago!

Raised with guns in the house since I could remember. Owned a .22 rifle before a BB gun. Back when I was in elementary/middle school we were at Vancouver rifle and pistol club 2 nights a week. I shot 3 positions small bore rifle my dad shot bullseye pistol. Lots of weekend up at Clark rifle and other shooting events. Slowed down a lot in high school besides hunting and now that I have 9 month of my own I will be getting her involved once she gets older. Already eyeing the pink savage youth .22 lol. Being raised with firearms definitely took the curiosity out of it and knew how to treat and use them properly.

I got my Daisy BB gun taken from me when I was six for shooting it in the house. I got away with it until there were bbs found imbedded in the ceiling, the furniture and one original oil painting.

I got my Daisy BB gun taken from me when I was six for shooting it in the house. I got away with it until there were bbs found imbedded in the ceiling, the furniture and one original oil painting.
...wondering who's going to be the first to post, "you'll shoot your eye out!" ?

...you thought it was going to be Sobo, didn't you. ;)
Merry Christmas. =)

Raised by my pappy who was a safety fanatic. If I handed him a gun with the action closed Or if I didn't check a gun when it was handed to me, I got a kick in the bubblegum.
I learned quickly.

I'm the baby with 2 guns in my hands!

IMG_20211224_213836.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR