JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 394 86.8%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 60 13.2%

• Total voters
When I was about 6, my dad bought me a Winchester .22 pump. We'd (dad and I)would go to the gravel pit near Milwaukie Oregon, plinking cans and shooting targets. We lived in a wartime housing project called Kellogg Park, kinda between Portland and Milwaukie. Some of the elder members may remember the housing project. The pit was a short walk up the railroad tracks from our house.

I too was raised in a gun safe house as a young hunter with bird dogs in Southern New Jersey. Not only did my family hunt but all my close friends were hunters as well, and gun safety was the norm in all aspects of my youth. The family would spend off season time honing our skills at the ranges, whether we were target shooting with pistols and rifles or shooting clay pigeons on the trap range. I too can not image a life with out the gun freedoms and responsibilities I have come to enjoy.

I was born and raised on a small horse outfit outside of Moscow, ID. My biological dad was a writer for Field & Stream, owned a chain of gun shops in the region, and was a Marine sniper. Stepdad was a rancher, then a cop, then FBI, then Chief of Police.

I got my first .22 at age 10 and was let loose in the Idaho woods alone with my trusty firearm. By age 13, I was riding horseback 50 miles a day in the mountains with a .22 Ruger Single-Six on my hip, alone, and would camp out in the woods occasionally.

I don't remember ever not knowing about guns or having one handy.

Seems a lot of folks these days grew up without firearms and got into them later in life.

I admit to sometimes not understanding their perspectives or issues with firearms and being a bit insensitive about certain subjects with folks like that.

Just wondering who else here had a proper upbringing like me.
I was born and raised on a small horse outfit outside of Moscow, ID. My biological dad was a writer for Field & Stream, owned a chain of gun shops in the region, and was a Marine sniper. Stepdad was a rancher, then a cop, then FBI, then Chief of Police.

I got my first .22 at age 10 and was let loose in the Idaho woods alone with my trusty firearm. By age 13, I was riding horseback 50 miles a day in the mountains with a .22 Ruger Single-Six on my hip, alone, and would camp out in the woods occasionally.

I don't remember ever not knowing about guns or having one handy.

Seems a lot of folks these days grew up without firearms and got into them later in life.

I admit to sometimes not understanding their perspectives or issues with firearms and being a bit insensitive about certain subjects with folks like that.

Just wondering who else here had a proper upbringing like me.
I grew up on 160 acre ranch outside Reedsport Oregon. Learned to shoot at the age of 6 and received my first model 69A Winchester at age 9. When my father handed me the rifle he told me that if I ever used it in the wrong way that I would answer to him not the police. My Dad also said that he was keeping the magazine so that I learned not to waste rounds because we didn't have money for that. I learned to be proficient with that rifle that I still own. The day my Dad gave me that rifle was the day I decided that my country was worth serving to help protect the very God given right of owning a firearm. I also wanted to preserve the right of passage to manhood or adulthood for others.

We started out shooting in gandpa's basement in Ballard, shooting targets in the coal bin. BB guns were standard issue growing up north of Seattle, lots of woods where we now have Northgate, North Seattle CC and a freeway! I guess they call that progress. :( Mom's family lived in Redmond and Avondale so we had plenty of space to graduate to 22s and larger.

4 years old with very direct hands on supervision. The rest is history. Don't remember a time there wasn't one around at my disposal if so desired, however, being taught properly, it was never an issue.

It's just like any other life experience, if you are introduced to it as a child, it normalizes the behavior. Hence why it is so dangerous to have kids brought up with current "social values," what an easy way to ruin a kid for life.

I too was raised in a gun safe house as a young hunter with bird dogs in Southern New Jersey. Not only did my family hunt but all my close friends were hunters as well, and gun safety was the norm in all aspects of my youth. The family would spend off season time honing our skills at the ranges, whether we were target shooting with pistols and rifles or shooting clay pigeons on the trap range. I too can not image a life with out the gun freedoms and responsibilities I have come to enjoy.

HEY! Welcome to the forum. Great introductory story. This is a great place for gun owners. Don't be shy, anything you need to know can be had here. Plus good old BS sessions.

I stress daily Firearms safety to my wife and 17y/o daughter. My wife's father always had guns so she understands why I have guns now (she just doesn't like me buying more guns she can be a miser about that). I surprised her this year for Christmas. I gave her her first gun of her own. A Ruger LCP .380. She now wants to go to the range with me. We are Personal Friends with the newly elected County Sheriff. He nd I have a range trip planned when the weather decides to be nice again. She will be going with us. The Sheriff is a State Certified Fire arms instructor. and will be giving us the Soon to be required Firearms Saftey Instruction and Certificates.

I do not have the collection of guns that some here do, but I am working on that. My Daughter has been raised (for half he life with Guns in the house, though she has no interest in shooting (right now any way) she has at least held my unloaded guns and understands what they are capable of. I have always stressed to my wife and daughter that Guns in the wrong hands can be dangerous, both my wife and daughter can recite the BASIC Firearms Safety Rules from memory.

Grew up in Oklahoma on a small farm, always remember firearms as a part of life. My brother and I would get up early, do our chores and then off to the fields and ponds with our .22's. Was a great way to grow up and sure miss those simple carefree days. You learned safety, responsibility, and maturity and did not even know it, lol.

We are Personal Friends with the newly elected County Sheriff. The Sheriff is a State Certified Fire arms instructor. and will be giving us the Soon to be required Firearms Saftey Instruction and Certificates.
Hopefully not! Hopefully she, if that crap passes, shows solidarity with her colleagues from counties listed below on protecting our Constitutional rights and will not become one of those whose final destination is Antenora.

A new tally according to Washington Open Carry.

1. Whatcom county
2. Okanogan county
3.Ferry county
4. Stevens county
6. Lincolin county
7. Spokane county
8. Kittitas county
9. Adams county
10. Grant county
11. Yakima county
12. Benton county
13. Franklin county
14. Klickitat county
15. Cowlitz county
16. Wahkiakum county
17. Pacific county
18. Grays Harbor county
19. Mason county

That is 51% of Washington counties that will not enforce I-1639.

BTW, speaking of "certified firearms instructor"...

Last Edited:
Firearm safety should be required to be taught in school.

In JROTC when we were learning to do drills with disabled M1 Garands (deactivate or w/e) the first thing we were told is to not pull the charging handle. That it would be a good way to get shot by the school resource officer, as there's no way of telling it can't be fired. And there were ones that can be loaded and fired.

The threat of potentially being shot kept my finger off the trigger, and handle away from the action. This was in NC, the first time I was ever really around a gun. A deactivated one but still.

I didn't grow up in the country, suburbia was my haunt. My dad grew up a hillbilly, my mom thought she was a society girl. I always had an affinity for my dad's side of the family, free thinkers, rogues, loggers and miners. My mom's side were all proper, good manners, churchy, judgmental and narrow minded. Since the 1st time I smelled Hoppes #9 and touched a cold blue receiver I was a gun guy without even knowing it, I was probably 5 at the time. My dad had guns and hunting was a big part of his life, got my 1st Crossman pump @ 8 (still have it) and a .22 @ 12. My dad wasn't into guns, they were tools, used once a year, cleaned and put in the gun cabinet. He had a mandate against pistols in the house and I never saw him shoot one. His brother had handguns and was a gun guy, he was my mentor growing up. I used to ride the bus to the Roseburg area when I got to be 12 so I could hang out w/him and go shooting. He liked target shooting and reloading and had a Rem 600 in 222, his "Triple Deuce", we'd take up in the woods and shoot diggers along w/a couple rimfires. Our school had a range in the basement (Mid High in Hillsboro), we'd stay late and clean the guns so we could shoot a box of 50 before going home. When I had my 1st real job @ 16 I took my mom to Bi-Mart in Hillsboro so she could buy me (with my $$) a H&R 9 shot 22 revolver for $129 (still have it), the Ruger sitting next to it was like $180 so was out of the question for my 16yo 'gotta have it now' mentality. When I got home I took it straight into my room w/out showing it to my dad as I had gone behind his back to get it. He never said anything about it later after I got comfortable letting him see it, never even mentioned it, like it didn't happen. I had purchased a Rem 788 in 243 from the same Bi-Mart a couple months prior for $149, still have that one also. That replaced the 26" octagon barreled Mod 94 in 25-35 made in '03 (19 that is) that I had been using since I was able to hunt. It was my grandfathers hand me down my dad used until he got his dad's M99f in 308 (which I still have). Unfortunately I don't have that one anymore.

Since I was a self proclaimed 'gun guy' I started gravitating toward other guns guys and hanging out in the woods a lot, buying guns, reloading and shooting as much as I could. Then I got into playing guitars hardcore which pretty much put 'gun guy' on hold for a number of years and turned a few guns into guitars and gear. I never gave up on them just back burnered that hobby for a while, still hunted every year and shot sometimes but most of my energy went elsewhere.

When I decided to get some property in the country 22 years ago I started shooting more but not at the level previously, it was more about hunting and riding than shooting but I would buy guns once in a while. I got hurt pretty bad riding in '10, 23 broken bones later (not all at the same time but more than I care to think about) riding isn't my thing anymore so now I'm back into guns full time :D

I've got 10 yo twins now, my boy had a 45 in his hands @ 4 and has a few of his own guns now. When I was his age it was all I could think about, even had my folks get me a couple gun mag subscriptions. He'd rather play vids most of the time but once in a while asks if he can shoot. I'll walk right by him to go out back and shoot and he'll act like he doesn't see me. I think part of it is when I was his age I couldn't shoot unless we went to the woods and my dad wasn't into 'plinking' so I actually didn't get to shoot that much just thought about it a lot. He can shoot pretty much whenever he wants, it's not a 'thing' we have to go do, just load a mag and step out onto the sidewalk (he does have to ask permission and be supervised unless w/a bb gun). His sister is less into them and doesn't like to shoot. Man, I would have been all over these woods, he's not really into it that much though. It's o.k., we'll get there :) My older boy has guns but is tied up w/family and work and doesn't really seem to have a hobby right now but he's into guns.

Anywhoo, my story.......

Got my frist BB GUN when I was 7 or 8.
Didn't get my frist real firearm till I was 13 .
A Marlin model 60 .22 RIFLE.
But my dad had a shotgun did some trap shooting.
All my uncle's had guns every where.
When we were kids and go to there house .
There was a gun in every room or two guns in every room.
But WE WERE TOLD TO NEVER EVER TOUCH THEM.
if we wanted to touch them or look at them just had to ask .
And they would unload it and let us hold it.
And then we went out Shooting a few times.
But if we DID TOUCH THOSE GUNS WITHOUT PERMISSION .
OH THAT WAS IT GOT YOUR A$$ whooped.
And back in the day my uncle's always had a pistol and a Rifle in there truck.LOL THE RIFLE WAS USUALLY a 30/30 or a 30.06 in a rack in the back window of the pick up.
LOL

Started-off bird dogging for my elders @ age 5. Got my Stevens .410 at age 8.

My girls started at age 7

My grands are doing the same

5081.jpeg IMG_20170719_150929889.jpg
IMG_20170720_141931928_HDR.jpg

Guns and what could be achieved by men intent on using them are part and parcel of my childhood. My dad took an active part as a late-teenager in the Irish War of Independence, and then in the Irish Civil War that followed, and was no stranger to guns. He made sure that I understood that the use of firearms, when applied with determination, was a very serious thing to engage in.

I was no stranger to the use of firearms - my thirty-three years in the British Army ensured that - but to me the gun is a fascinating tool that I fancy I can master, rather than serve.

To that end I teach all those that I come in contact with, shooters or not shooters, that left to its own devices, the hammer will not strike the nail, nor the oars row the boat. Likewise, the gun does as it is told, at the behest of the person who is holding it, and nothing more.

Last Edited:
Grew up around firearms. There was no mystic about them, no 'evilness', just items for hunting and recreational enjoyment. Safe gun handling habits were taught and followed, but not obsessed over. And the guns were never kept in a 'safe' as I recall.

My adult son grew up around guns, but in a more structured fashion with trips to the formal range, pit shooting with clean-up when done shooting, more structured emphasis on safety, and the firearms kept in a safe. He has amassed a nice inventory of 'modern sporting rifles' and handguns.

My father and I never got to shooting more than a couple times as I recall, mostly because he was a business owner and sunk most of his time into that endeavor. But one of those trips was up the logging roads to the end of one, that allowed shooting pistols and some rifles into the berm/hillside and shooting clays with shotgun out of the air. If I were to pick one instance in my youth that cemented my interest in firearms it would be that trip.

Every Gun Has A Story. Having a firearm that is passed down from one generation to another is priceless, but having the "Story" that goes along with that gun is also important. I didn't realize the importance of this until later in life. I have guns that belonged to my grandfather that have no story. In some cases I could piece together a story through pictures - hunting with the 30/30 or the Winchester model 12 with the seemingly 6' long barrel.

It's up to me to facilitate those stories for my Son and hopefully, eventually grandchildren such that they have stories to go along with some of the guns they may eventually inherit.

Sorry about that, got way too long winded on this subject.

My dad was a hunter so all us kids learned to shoot, to one degree or another.
I remember being about 4-5 years old....We had a 14' runabout and a buoy sitting out about 100' off the beach.
It was meant to act as a property marker on that end of the property, but we'd tie the boat up to it sometimes, too.
Seagulls liked to sit on top of it and my dad would take me out on the back porch, where that buoy would sit just over the end of the bank.
He'd tell me how line up the crosshairs of his Remington 725 on that seagull and take a shot.
That gun was so big to me at that age he had to hold up the front end.
Not sure if I ever hit any of those seagulls, but that .270 was my introduction to shooting guns.
….and then, sometimes we'd break out the .22's and shoot butter dish lids. That was fun, too. =)
...then I discovered his reloading manuals and would read them all the time. Coolest "books" ever! ;):D

Dean

Grandad & me
E79AFCD1-D9A3-4E03-A58B-687F3598FB02.jpeg

My dad out with grandpa circa late 1930's
21D3E328-710F-432B-AF84-713DE55514D4.jpeg

Uncle George, Uncle Paul, and Grandpa
FEAD20CE-03BD-4908-826A-4025FDE388CA.jpeg

Uncle George gets a few coyotes
95659320-6CA5-4F4D-AD23-A1B9A565BE0A.jpeg
4C1FBFEB-831A-4D7D-BAAF-7025134984E2.jpeg

One of the stories I heard my grandpa tell over and over about my Uncle George was regarding an annual meeting of Federal Predator Hunters called "The Federal Roundup". During the roundup I guess it was a tradition to have a turkey shoot where the participants shoot at targets and the highest scores win turkeys for their family. I guess Uncle George did pretty good. So good that one of the other hunters said something about my Uncle only being able to score so well because he used his sling to wrap up into during the standing position. He wanted George to shoot again without a sling to see if he could do it. Well, grandpa said George took a dim view of that, so George said sure he would shoot again. He unhooked his sling alright, but only the rear swivel, and shot again while letting the sling hang off the front of his rifle. Grandpa said there wasn't any other objections after that as to who won the turkey shoot that year!

Here is a photo taken of that years Federal Roundup. Uncle George in the white hat lower right hand corner. Circa late 1940's
3C22A47C-4E14-4674-ABAA-3BDAD97F0F1F.jpeg
3BF108A3-F0A0-422A-8C37-809A82309185.png

Last Edited:
Grandad & me
View attachment 553749

My dad out with grandpa circa late 1930's
View attachment 553750

Uncle George, Uncle Paul, and Grandpa
View attachment 553748

Uncle George gets a few coyotes
View attachment 553752
View attachment 553751

One of the stories I heard my grandpa tell over and over about my Uncle George was regarding an annual meeting of Federal Predator Hunters called "The Federal Roundup". During the roundup I guess it was a tradition to have a turkey shoot where the participants shoot at targets and the highest scores win turkeys for their family. I guess Uncle George did pretty good. So good that one of the other hunters said something about my Uncle only being able to score so well because he used his sling to wrap up into during the standing position. He wanted George to shoot again without a sling to see if he could do it. Well, grandpa said George took a dim view of that, so George said sure he would shoot again. He unhooked his sling alright, but only the rear swivel, and shot again while letting the sling hang off the front of his rifle. Grandpa said there wasn't any other objections after that as to who won the turkey shoot that year!

Here is a photo taken of that years Federal Roundup. Uncle George in the white hat lower right hand corner. Circa late 1940's
View attachment 553755
View attachment 553756

I enjoyed this post... thx!

I was born in E L.A. (Cheech and Chong). At the age of 2, dad moved the family to a suburban tract home in Pomona CA. Lots of farmland around (Pomona = goddess of fruit) and many citrus groves. Dad was from Connecticut. His family hunted deer with shotguns. But since we lived in suburbia, and Mom & Dad had 3 rowdy boys, Dad said that guns had no place there. I'm not real sure if he meant our house, the neighborhood, the town, or all of California. He had a very good friend from work that hunted pheasant farther north, and our families did almost everything together, but dad would not go hunting with his friend. We weren't even allowed to have bb guns, but my friends did and so I did learn to shoot a rifle (...shaped thing).

I had my first full time job at 17 and bought my first firearm from a local pawn shop at as soon as I turned age 18. Remington Model 31TC

REMINGTON-MODEL-31-TC-12-GAUGE_101024437_401_A5ACAC12755D315F.jpg

Not my shotgun but a representative example. 12ga, 2 3/4, 28", full choke.

I shot rabbits, ducks, doves, and clays for many years with that first shotgun. Now with some sentimentality I wish I hadn't sold it... your first is special!

Last Edited:
Guns and what could be achieved by men intent on using them are part and parcel of my childhood. My dad took an active part as a late-teenager in the Irish War of Independence, and then in the Irish Civil War that followed, and was no stranger to guns. He made sure that I understood that the use of firearms, when applied with determination, was a very serious thing to engage in.

I was no stranger to the use of firearms - my thirty-three years in the British Army ensured that - but to me the gun is a fascinating tool that I fancy I can master, rather than serve.

To that end I teach all those that I come in contact with, shooters or not shooters, that left to its own devices, the hammer will not strike the nail, nor the oars row the boat. Likewise, the gun does as it is told, at the behest of the person who is holding it, and noting more.

Well said, and enjoyable to read...

3-Blazing-Saddles-quotes.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews