Who else literally grew up with firearms?

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 341 86.5%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 53 13.5%

• Total voters
Growing up...I was told to not point my toy guns / cap guns at others....Squirt guns sure...but not toy / cap guns.

I remember getting a BB rifle one summer....
Dad went over safety rules as well as what / when and where I could shoot at / with it.

We had a nice hill in our back yard which served as a back stop....many a tin can and plastic army man served as a target.

I was taught the value of life and that I now had the power of life and death when I was shooting...the only living things I could shoot were starlings as they were invasive and a "pest" bird that stole nests and such from native birds.

Shooting the BB rifle one day ....Mr. Robin lands on a fence post.....
For whatever reason...I took aim , and shot the robin.
I re-load and walk on up the dead robin....

I "see" my dad's shadow behind me...and hear him state :
"Nice shot...and glad to see that you re-loaded before walking up to the bird."
He then asks : "What are our rules about shooting live things ?"
"Not to...unless I am in danger or am going to eat it"
, says I.
"Were you in danger from that robin ?" he asks...
"No." I say....
"Enjoy your lunch", was his reply.
I did not enjoy the cleaning of , the cooking of or the taste of robin.....

I also could not shoot that gun ( or any gun ) for a month...I couldn't go to the gun show that dad went to the next weekend...or read about / talk about / or watch any movie that had guns in it....
Dad said I "Broke the trust of the gun. "
That was looooog thoughtful month of re-thinking what and how I do things with guns.
Andy

Last Edited:
Reactions
LOL.....before I could walk

45473379_2247221821963849_5317964528074358784_n.jpg

fredoesway

Reactions
one of the best hunters i knew only had one eye, his brother shot out the other one with BB gun, he was one of my dads best friend and hunting partners. back in the good old days... 60's.

Reactions
Yup, first gun was a single shot breech load 12 gauge shotgun my dad bought me sometime in grade school. Grew up in Forest Grove Oregon on the edge of town so it was a short walk to farm land and hours of hunting. Got my first pheasant, quail, mallard, Canadian goose and wild pigeon with that shotgun and still have it 50+ years later. Sure do miss those days.

whiskeybill

Reactions
Grew up in Montana and guns / hunting were a way of life. I really didn't know anyone that didn't have at least one of some kind. Dad always took me out shooting rabbits on weekends to start, and I still have that old Remington 512 Sportmaster (and a few of my dads other old rifles). Going to college in the early '70's it wasn't unusual to see guys walking through the student union with hunting rifles in the fall. High school on Friday afternoons during hunting season, pick-ups all had rifles in them, and even teachers would come out to discuss hunting and rifles in the school parking lot. And no one freaked out.

Alexx1401

Reactions
Grew up in Montana and guns / hunting were a way of life. I really didn't know anyone that didn't have at least one of some kind. Dad always took me out shooting rabbits on weekends to start, and I still have that old Remington 512 Sportmaster (and a few of my dads other old rifles). Going to college in the early '70's it wasn't unusual to see guys walking through the student union with hunting rifles in the fall. High school on Friday afternoons during hunting season, pick-ups all had rifles in them, and even teachers would come out to discuss hunting and rifles in the school parking lot. And no one freaked out.
Isn't it just amazing that no one shot anyone with those guns? The grabbers never want to talk about that and the "what the hell happened" here. 🤬

Reactions
I was born and raised on a small horse outfit outside of Moscow, ID. My biological dad was a writer for Field & Stream, owned a chain of gun shops in the region, and was a Marine sniper. Stepdad was a rancher, then a cop, then FBI, then Chief of Police.

I got my first .22 at age 10 and was let loose in the Idaho woods alone with my trusty firearm. By age 13, I was riding horseback 50 miles a day in the mountains with a .22 Ruger Single-Six on my hip, alone, and would camp out in the woods occasionally.

I don't remember ever not knowing about guns or having one handy.

Seems a lot of folks these days grew up without firearms and got into them later in life.

I admit to sometimes not understanding their perspectives or issues with firearms and being a bit insensitive about certain subjects with folks like that.

Just wondering who else here had a proper upbringing like New to the group and man, can I relate. Grew up in Winston County, Mississippi, way back in the woods. At eleven years old I was roaming the Tallehaga swamp, armed with a Stevens Model 15-A and a handful of .22 shorts. Back then, if you didn't catch it, kill it or grow it, you didn't eat. At 13 years of age, I got a Remington 552 Speedmaster, a fine rifle it was until I actually wore the rifling out. Nowadays, it's a Ruger 10/22, and about 25 more rifles, pistols, revolvers and shotguns of various calibers and gauge . I feel being introduced to firearms at an early age, along with gun safety, maintenance and respect for what it can do makes a real difference as we grow older. Seeing those 'city' hunters shooting every squirrel nest they see or a hunter sitting in a deer stand drinking alcoholic beverages makes me glad I'm not like them, and a little fearful about hunting lands open to the public. Wearing all kinds of orange and having a broadhead imbed itself into a tree about 6" from your head gives one a whole new perspective on just who is hunting the same set of woods. Not at all like coming upon a black bear, a herd of Russian boar or a buck in rut that's just looking for love. Teach them young and teach them well and they will grow to be a responsible gun owner, not some paranoid gun phobic trying to instill their fears into anyone who would listen. So to all my brothers-in-arms who hunt, or just carry, watch your bubblegum.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors May Gun Show
Portland, OR
Rimfire Challenge
Canby, OR
Wes Knodel Gun Shows
Redmond, OR

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top